Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Capt. Spanky

Subs....What was the excuse?

All right...Reading the Rocket Rod thread made me start to question other rides gone to yesterland.

Skyway- I understand....Great ride, full of liability from dillholes.

But, the Submarines? What excuse in the wide wide world of googlymoogly did they make in scrapping such a beautiful ride? Every time I go to DL I stare into the lagoon. Anyone?

• now on the mainland

Actually the title of this thread should be "Tomorrowland...What was the excuse?" Let's face it, it may have been a little outdated, but it was still the most popular land. If you want to know why Subs, the Peoplemover/RR or any other attraction left, I think the real answer is quickly summarized by just saying, Paul Pressler and Michael Eisner working together towards a common goal. Simple math teaches us a negative plus a negative equals a greater negative.

what do you mean the most popular land :confused:

they closed it because it cost too much to keep up and pressler had just figured out that he could close small attractions without effecing attendance much

• Santa Barbara, CA

I think there is a needlepoint design in a frame somewhere at TD that says "Cheap is beautiful". End of story. The greatest risk of course, is not taking a risk at all.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Banned User

Hmm... let see... While TL was getting redone.. The attraction was left open due to they had money to run it... However if this attaraction was left open during a rehab of a land it was based in.. you will be able to tell.... this attraction might not last after opening....

• Minion

The Subs

I rode the submarine attraction for the first time when it was brand new in June 1959. As a teenager we all thought it was spectacular and the live mermaids who perched on the rocks during the day were fun.

As the years went by the subs began losing their appeal. They smelled, were cramped and the lines could be very long. The effects weren't all that great once audio animatronics became the way to go with the newer attractions. I kept waiting for them to upgrade the ride in later years and add at least some animated critters and perhaps a frightening undersea creature that moved.

It's amazing that they've not redeveloped that large area that it occupies but I'm sure it has to do with the monorail supports. When they had to move one during the building of Downtown Disney I recall it cost a tremendous amount of money. Being a low capacity ride probably made it expendable, too and closed, maintenance was reduced to only having to keep the water clean.

• Zapp's Minion :D

What year did the subs close?

• Banned User

Question

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    It's amazing that they've not redeveloped that large area that it occupies but I'm sure it has to do with the monorail supports. When they had to move one during the building of Downtown Disney I recall it cost a tremendous amount of money. Being a low capacity ride probably made it expendable, too and closed, maintenance was reduced to only having to keep the water clean.
    The monorail pylons & the fact autopis is sitting ontop of the show building and the olde People mover track goes of it too is why nothing has changed there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Minion
    What year did the subs close?
    I beliefve the subs closed either in 1997 or 1998.... I think it was the latter due to they closed when TL was finnished form it's extensive referbishment...
    Last edited by figment1986; 02-21-2005 at 02:59 PM. Reason: fixing quotes...

• e komo mai

According to MousePlanet. The subs just got the greenlight.
    (??)

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    (??)
    Great, another crappy overlay of an ancient ride. There's imagination for you.

They should just drain the lagoon, tear down the show building, and think of something NEW for a change.
    They could syncronize that with removing the Peoplemover track completely. The only negative I see is that the Monorail and Autopia would have to be down for a while as well, until they clear the area.

They should restore the motorboat cruise while they're at it...
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

I think the Subs comming back is a step in the right direction . te finding nemo theme .. not so hot on that but it will be cool to have another attraction filling up the lagoon
    Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    (??)
    Is that from MP's update this week? Or were you thinking of Al's update of last week?

• Zapp's Minion :D

I saw it in MousePlanet's update today

• Capt. Spanky

Pressler...Figures.

Thank god he's gone! Money, figures....What a complete Dunderhead.

Thanks for the quick answers back!

Hopefully Nemo-ized Subs will be successfull!

Quote Originally Posted by Flint
    Great, another crappy overlay of an ancient ride. There's imagination for you.
    How do you know it is 'crappy'? Have you seen it? I am just happy they are going to bring back the subs so I can take my kids on a new ride (new for them). And after I see it for myself then I will make the decision if it is good or bad. But I am clueless as to how you can proclaim it is crappy when they have not showed any design ideas or even started to work on it.

Bringing the subs back is a great, positive step in the correct direction! I am sure my kids will love it - they are big Nemo fans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast