Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• =)

New aerial photos!

Hi y'all! I debated whether I should start a thread about this, but...what the heck. Just wanted to let you know that Live Search Maps has updated their database of "bird's eye" photos, and there are some more recent shots of the DLR now up. Compare this old one to this new one, for instance.

It's not that big a deal, but there are some areas where you can see more detail, and naturally, there are changes such as:

* TSMM, wrapping up construction
    * FNSV
    * IASW under wraps
    * new traffic pads and ventilators on the roofs of HM, IASW, POTC, and others
    * certain elements of Circle D Ranch
    * Monorail Red

Note, however, that Pixie Hollow had ostensibly not yet begun construction. That dates these new photos sometime this year, but not after the Little Mermaid area shut down. Anyone wanna take a stab at when these were taken? I'm guessing during earlier summer, but I can't remember when work on Pixie Hollow started.

So yes, this is all very exciting, but there's a catch - the bird's eye photos that were there before are no longer showing up. That's not to say they've been wiped from the database...old permalinks still work, but you get taken to the new photos if you zoom in or out, or if you try to navigate to another photo. Unfortunately, I only have a small collection of permalinks focused mostly on Splash Mountain, HM, and Indy, so if any of you happen to have bookmarked other bird's eye photos, don't hesitate to post 'em here! I'll probably be posting all of my permalinks on my 3D Disneyland blog sometime soon.

EDIT: Do not despair quite as much...I was navigating through the new photos, and I managed to stumble across this older photo hidden in the mix. Naturally, I can't get back to it now unless I use the link, but that gives me hope. Perhaps similar accidents will happen in the future...and I'll definitely be saving the links. And contacting Microsoft so I can request that all photos be made available.

• I'm not really here

Re: New aerial photos!

That's good news! I wonder if this is a response by Microsoft to Google's new satellite, or just part of their schedule of updating.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    That's good news! I wonder if this is a response by Microsoft to Google's new satellite, or just part of their schedule of updating.
    Haha, I wondered that, too. Interestingly, I haven't found any other areas with new photos. That's not to say I've done a whole lot of looking, but I've checked a few areas in northern and southern California, including the nearby Knott's Berry Farm, and none of them have been changed yet.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well I can see that the photo of Disney's Grand California is about May 24 2008 of Aerial Photo

show that Frist floor get done.

by my photo of the area.
    I'm say that about that date.

so April I will see the top of Disney's Grand Calif. new buliding top.
    Last edited by akfandisney; 11-07-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Oooo, this is neato!

Great! Now how am I going to get any work done today?!

• I'm not really here

Lol. seriously

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

the last day pixie hollow was still the ariel meet and greet was august 17th (give or take a day or so)

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by akfandisney View Post
    Well I can see that the photo of Disney's Grand California is about May 24 2008 of Aerial Photo

show that Frist floor get done.

by my photo of the area.
    I'm say that about that date.

so April I will see the top of Disney's Grand Calif. new buliding top.
    Yea, I think its around April or May... the way I figured that is near my own house, there was a Conroy's Flower Shop on a corner then, and the photo shows it still in business. Now, however, its completely replaced by a Wall Greens on that corner, so it was just before the old flower shop was torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Great! Now how am I going to get any work done today?!
    I know! How the heck am I supposed to concentrate in my classes today??

• Senior Minion

Cool, the old photos were starting to get significatly out of date, and I can already see some things that were not very visible before. Nice.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

They are indeed nice. I'm disappointed in the lower resolutions in some areas, though. I'd really like access to all the photos...if any of you feel the same way (and you should! ), please contact Microsoft to tell them that. It'd be really nice if they made this change, just like they've made other beneficial ones in the past.

• Senior Minion

How would you access the old photos? Would they create complete maps at different dates or just have the individual images available in some sort of database?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    How would you access the old photos? Would they create complete maps at different dates or just have the individual images available in some sort of database?
    Well, they had at least two sets of Disneyland photos before in every direction - some were several years older than the others, and the image quality was substantially different. It was rather difficult to control how you navigate between the two sets, but you basically just had to click around in the right spots. They could do the same thing now, except with the current set of photos in addition to those. Or they could make each set of photos its own layer that'd be accessed by links off to the side...either way works for me. As long as all the photos are there.

• I'm not really here

Yeah, there were times when they would change on me and it took a while to figure out what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    They are indeed nice. I'm disappointed in the lower resolutions in some areas, though. I'd really like access to all the photos...if any of you feel the same way (and you should! ), please contact Microsoft to tell them that. It'd be really nice if they made this change, just like they've made other beneficial ones in the past.
    They'd just need to implement a time feature so you can dial up a photo set.

Speaking of that, Datameister, you should think of creating models of some of the now extinct attractions and buildings of Disneyland. You know, add a time/history element.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-11-2008, 05:50 PM
  2. 11-10-2008, 11:54 PM
  3. 11-07-2008, 11:38 PM