Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• New Waver

How many people were older on their first visit to DL?

My first trip to Disneyland was in 1999 while on a road trip with my friends. At the time I was 19 years old. I did not know anything really about the park other then it had a castle and there were people dressed up like Mickey Mouse . When we parked our car I could see DCA and I thought that the Screeming and the other things in DCA were part of Disneyland! But when we went into Disneyland I was blown away by the detail and I loved everything, I repeat EVERYTHING! I could not see any problems with the place it was amazing. Sometimes now I wish I could get that back since I have become very good at seeing the little problems in the park now. But on that first trip I can say it was like I really was seeing the place through the eyes of a child.

When I was a kid my family never even thought of going to Disneyland, L.A. was too big and full of crime and we never had enough money to go on trips like going to Disneyland. So I never even really thought of it as a kid. My mom was the same way, she had wanted to go since she grew up in the 50's and saw the Disneyland TV show and has some cousins that had gone but it was just out of the question for her. After my first trip with my friends in which I only spent one day at the park I knew I had to come back for more. I saved up and later that year I took my mom with me. She was in her 50's her first time but she had the same child like view of the place I did!

My family would go on lots of other trips over the years. But about two years ago when I was thinking about going to film school we learned from the CM's in Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln about CalArts and how it was Walt Disney's idea. I allready knew a bit about the school since my favorite filmmaker Tim Burton had went there. But learning that Walt had thought of it I knew that it would be great place to go to school since it came from the same mind that built Disneyland. And so I got into CalArts and moved to SoCal last fall, and of couse bought my AP the day after I got here.

So for me Disneyland is not a place to remember childhood memorys but a place that helped me make my adult dreams come true! I was wondering if there is anyone else that fell in love with the park at an older age too since I would love to here your storys!

• Santa Barbara, CA

I was 5. I felt cheated that I wasn't able to experience the park as a newborn, baking in the sun and seeing it all as blurry colors.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• no flash photography...

My parents started taking me when I was 8 months old. They took me on haunted mansion...appareantly it terrified me. i didin't cry, but I had this look like I was about to on my face. Of course my parents didn't notice until people walking behind them started saying, 'that poor baby." My parenats were not overly concerned. they just said, 'i guess she didn't like that." and went on their way. The only early memories of DL I have is being really bored and hating all the lines. I did enjoy the piarate ship though and dumbo, but I really hated waiting in line to ride them. I have more memories of the misery of the lines than I do of the rides from when I was young...LOL

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    I was 5. I felt cheated that I wasn't able to experience the park as a newborn, baking in the sun and seeing it all as blurry colors.
    lol...that's the truth.

I was 7 my first time. Even then I don't remember a whole lot from my first trip.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

My first time was at age 4 waaaaaay back in 1964 - Flying Saucers ruled!
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

My first trip to DL I was 38. I do have an excuse though, until that time I lived in the south and was too far away. I just always thought it was another theme park. When I stepped though the gates the first time I was hooked and wondering way it took me so long to get there.

• Zapp's Minion :D

I was 6 years old and I all can remember is the MSEP and Small World. Then 12 years later my friend & I flew down for 3 day vacation.

• Banned User

hmmm... DL.... hmmm.... i belive i was 11 or 12 when i first went to Disney Land...

I was 3 or 4 when I first went to WDW....

• GO DBACKS!!

I remember going when I was 6 and being scared too death of the big head characters. Have you seen the pics of the character's they had in the 60-70's? They were really freaky lookin'. Then mom and dad wanting to take a pic and are yelling, "get closer to the 3 little pigs and the big bad wolf", and I'm thinkin' NO WAY.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

Quote Originally Posted by Deogge's Mom
    My first trip to DL I was 38. I do have an excuse though, until that time I lived in the south and was too far away. I just always thought it was another theme park. When I stepped though the gates the first time I was hooked and wondering way it took me so long to get there.
    Okay I tie with you Deogge's Mom! I was 38 my first time to DL! My excuse is that I grew up in the Midwest (and I am still there) and became a school teacher (not a lot of cash there). I loved DL my first and only time there. I found it to be more intimate than WDW, although I have been back there lots of times (it's closer). I am looking forward to returning to DL this summer!
    Cliff
    WDW '72, '97, '00, '02, '03 '06 '07, '08 DL '98, '05, '10 DLP '00 DCL '09

I was 3 when my family first took me. I can recall things about that trip that scare my mom, it put that much of an impression on me. I am very grateful that I got to go there as I was going up!

• I won't grow up!

I love all these 6 and 8 year old being mad they didn't get to go when they were younger LOL I would have killed to go before I did

The first time I went was in 2000 on a high school trip my senior year. We were doing the magic music days so I only got ride a few rides as I had to go to this performance and this lecture and so forth.

Working daily to infect my two little princesses with Disney obsession

I don't remember much of my first trip. I was only 3 years old and it was 1980. Living only an hour from the park we went quite a bit. From what my parents have told me thought I was a happy little girl the whole day. Everything was amazing and although the characters scared me, I lasted thru the day and talked about it all the way home!
    I do remember trips from childhood though that still bring back happy memories. I still remember a trip when my dad took me on Star Tours over and over after it had recently opened while my mom and sister rode PeopleMover because they didn't like it. It was very late and the park was about to close. Mom and sis were tired and wanted to go home and were waiting for us at the exit of the ride. My dad grabbed my arm and whispered "watch this" in my ear. He ran me back to the front of the ride to go on it again and we both laughed soo hard. Mom was annoyed because my sis was little and getting ready to crash. There was nobody in line so it only took a few minutes to get thru it again but I still look back at that night and smile.
    That's when I knew that I had gained my love of Disneyland not only from many treasured visits to the park but also from my parents who loved it just as much as I did.

I was 21 the first time I went, and it was only for 10 hours. I had no idea what I was about to experience, I just knew I was soooo excited. I remember getting teary-eyed driving up to the entrance (it was 1992). I remember waiting by the tour bus getting teary again, watching the fireworks from outside the gates. Or maybe I just heard them. It was a long time ago. I didn't go back until 1996, and I have been obsessed ever since!!!!!!!!!!
    Go see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies!!

• New Waver

invdland that is how I was, I had no idea about the place then it was like...wow that place was amazing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast