Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Giving up Film

Attractions you never got to experience because of whomever brought you to Disneyland

I was lucky enough to stumble over a box of old Hi8 tapes recently, and well, to my surprise my first trip to Disneyland was one of them ( back from April of 91.) After talking to my parents I wondered why they hadn't taken me on some attractions not just that one time but several times after.

I never go to see the Country Bear Jamboree - because they though it wasn't anything special.

They never took me into the Tiki Room - same reason - I finally went in on my own accord a little over a year ago.

So what attractions (past and present) did you perhaps miss out on or experience late because of whomever took you didn't want to go on them or didn't think they were worth the time?

• Senior Minion

Re: Attractions you never got to experience because of whomever brought you to Disney

My parents don't like the Tiki Room either, so pretty much same story for me on that one. That's all I can really think of.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

Re: Attractions you never got to experience because of whomever brought you to Disney

I'm pretty sure I never experienced the Enchanted Tiki Room until a little over a year ago, though I'd heard some of the music. I've still yet to go on Peter Pan, too.

Also, my first exposure to the Haunted Mansion was when I was in fifth grade, I think, which made it less scary for me than some folks' first rides in that particular masterpiece.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

That only happened the first time that I went to Magic Kingdom at WDW. We all thought that the Haunted Mansion was a real spook house, and too scary, so we didn't go on it. Of course, it probably would have frightened my 4 year old grandson at the time. However, when I finally did read about how great it was, I went on it with my grandson, when he was about 12.

I tend to do a lot of touring by myself, and I always read ahead about attractions, so I know what to expect. Usually, when I am with a group, they are heading for the thrill rides that I don't prefer, and I am heading off somewhere else. I am usually getting talked into a ride, and not out of one. Talked into BTMRR, which is scary for me, and Dinosaur at AK, which I do not like, and have been on twice.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

While I've been fortunate enough to never have missed out on anything entirely (except for attractions that came and went before my time), when I was a kid it took what seemed like forever for my mom to let me ride Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain. This is because we rode Matterhorn Bobsleds one time when I was six or seven years old, and it scared her out of her wits. I thought it was great, but she couldn't stop talking about how horrific it was for months afterward. Even several years later she wouldn't relent because she saw a group of nuns in their full habits exiting Big Thunder Mountain apparently in tears (I saw it too, and I kept saying "But those were NUNS!" ). No, I'm not making this up, but it was a classic scenario--talk about bad luck!

When I finally won out a couple of years later, I somehow managed to drag her in with me (I think she felt guilty for making me miss out), and more than 20 years later now, it's still one of her favorite rides in the whole park. The even funnier part is that the last time I went to the park with her (she recently got her first annual passport), I convinced her to face her demons on the Matterhorn, which she hadn't ridden for more than a quarter of a century out of sheer terror, and her reaction afterward was "That wasn't so bad!" Oy!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I've still yet to go on Peter Pan, too.
    By the way, when I was at the park last Sunday, I made a point of determining how long the wait really was. It was just past 11 am, and the line came out to the stroller area but did not wrap around the planter. At this length, the wait was 25 minutes (just like the sign said), and when it's full I doubt that it ever gets much longer than 35 or 40 minutes before virtually everybody gets scared away. That's not so bad, is it? I can still vividly recall when the line for Indy went through the Hub and wrapped around into Frontierland to the front of the Golden Horseshoe Saloon.

• MC, this is LD

I've never seen Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln thanks to my mom...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

My grandma made sure that we saw all of the sit-down shows, but we never got to do the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse or TSI when I was a kid. She didn't want us to get lost or have to chase after us, or whatever.
    A signature should go here.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    By the way, when I was at the park last Sunday, I made a point of determining how long the wait really was. It was just past 11 am, and the line came out to the stroller area but did not wrap around the planter. At this length, the wait was 25 minutes (just like the sign said), and when it's full I doubt that it ever gets much longer than 35 or 40 minutes before virtually everybody gets scared away. That's not so bad, is it? I can still vividly recall when the line for Indy went through the Hub and wrapped around into Frontierland to the front of the Golden Horseshoe Saloon.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, it's usually listed around 25 minutes when I'm there...and I've typically had higher priorities. I'm rather cheap when it comes to lines...I'm not a complainer, but I do like to maximize the amount of time I spend in places other than lines, especially when the attraction in question is short and/or not a huge favorite. I mean, I love Space Mountain, for instance, but unless I'm with a really entertaining group, I usually won't get in line (standby or FastPass) if I have reason to believe the wait is longer than twenty or thirty minutes. That's why it's been difficult for me to give Peter Pan a try...I'm sure I'll enjoy it, probably quite a bit, but Fantasyland-style dark rides generally aren't my favorites, and there's always something else to ride.

All that being said...I'm pretty determined to finally ride Peter Pan during my next visit in a couple of weeks. I'll try to get my group to coerce me into doing it.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I never got to go on Haunted Mansion until 2 years ago. And, of course- I LOVE it. And I never got to see Captain EO, because my parents didn't/don't like Michael Jackson. I also am pretty sure I didn't get to go on Mission to Mars, the Keel Boats and the Canoes.

And then, of course, there's the stuff mom says we did, but I have no memory of it- America Sings , Skyway, and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. I don't think there were many more. My parents pretty much love everything there is in Disneyland... which is why I love small world and the Tiki Room so much. And how I miss those pickin' and a grinnin' bears.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

About the only thing I didn't do was Goofy's Bounce House because they wouldn't let big kids in even if you asked nice.

There were a few things I've only done once or twice just to say I did, like Flik's Fun Fair and Jumping Jellyfish (yawn) and Gadgets'.

Then there's MaliBOOMer I rode Once - when you free climb power poles on gaffs and mistakes have long-lasting repercussions, freefalls are /not/ welcome sensations, followed (you hope) by waking up from the nightmare in a cold sweat...

But I dood it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• WDW Spring Adv. CP 2009!!

I didn't get to experience the Tiki Room when My parents took me to Disneyland when I was a kid. Only when I became a annual passholder two years ago did I get to experience it. Also sadly I did not get to experience the country bears jamboree or even ride the astro orbitors.

I haven't been to toon town in years because none of my friends care for it very much lol.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Attractions you never got to experience because of whomever brought you to Disney

I have no memory of riding the Mine Train on our cross country drive in 1969 ( do remember the one at KBF). Looking at the attractions I do remember, it's likely that we ran out of tickets. One could buy more, of course, but my father didn't run that sort of establishment.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• =)

On a side note, I was feeling suspicious of the use of "whomever" in the thread title, so I looked it up, and it is indeed technically incorrect - "whomever" can only be used as the object of a clause, not the subject.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by idkmybffminnie View Post
    I haven't been to toon town in years because none of my friends care for it very much lol.
    Get New Friends!!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    On a side note, I was feeling suspicious of the use of "whomever" in the thread title, so I looked it up, and it is indeed technically incorrect - "whomever" can only be used as the object of a clause, not the subject.
    Next you'll be going on about the speculative "were". (nice work )

Back on topic -- I have the opposite problem. I think I have been on rides that I haven't because of who I went with. For example I completely thought that I had been on the DL Skyway because the friends I went with in '95 had and told me that we went together. But then I realised that the suits ripped the Skyway out only a few months before I first visited.

It was a combination of my friend's insisting that I had, having been on the Skyway in WDW and seeing too many videos on Youtube.

One thing that I know for certain was that I DID get to ride the old Subs before they were mothballed.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast