Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Anyone else have an anti-Disneyland friend?

Well he's not totally "anti" Disney, but my husband doesn't see the point in going more than one time in your life.

Thats why I leave him home and go alone.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FolsomFan View Post
    I have a friend who likes to tell me that Disneyland is run by communists because they don't let their employees wear yellow ribbons to support the troops.
    Tell your friend that when people who hate Disneyland die, they are reincarnated as trash cans at Magic Mountain.*

*DCA haters excepted, on special orders from Walt.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Well he's not totally "anti" Disney, but my husband doesn't see the point in going more than one time in your life.

Thats why I leave him home and go alone.
    Your husband and mine must be twins. Also you and I have a lot in common. Of course, I won't be alone at Disneyland, if I get to meet up with some MiceChatters while I'm there.

• Far too curious

Wow, those with boyfriends/husbands who don't like going...I don't think I could live with someone like that >.<
    Luckily, I got my boyfriend into loving Disneyland as much as I do.

I don't really have any "Anti-Disneyland" friends so much as I have friends who just don't understand. They ask how I can go all the time and not get bored, and I try to explain...but it still sounds boring to them, which is sad.

• Ready for takeoff

It is one thing if someone does not like Disneyland. They have the right to be wrong. For example, my brother does not like it but is excited for me when I get to go because he knows how much I like it.

I just don't appreciate someone who feels the need to tell me that Disneyland is evil and run by communists.
    Last edited by FolsomFan; 11-10-2008 at 06:16 PM.

I have a friend who hates Disneyland and prefers Magic Mountain. I asked her what about Disneyland she doesn't like and she says the rides are too boring, the park is too pristine and that the themes are too much.

I know.. I know... she's crazy.

• Senior Minion

Mostly amonst my friends who don't like it, it's the boring ride thing. Too themed and clean is just strange.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I know, it is very strange. Who wants to go to a dirty theme park?

I tried to explain to her that the theme aspect is part of what makes Disneyland so great. You are totally immersed in another world. She doesn't get the appeal of it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NikNak View Post
    I have a friend who hates Disneyland and prefers Magic Mountain. I asked her what about Disneyland she doesn't like and she says the rides are too boring, the park is too pristine and that the themes are too much.
    What's strange to me is that I visit other amusement parks semi-frequently (depending on who is going with me), and some of them have rather "intense" rides, but I don't find the rides at Disneyland boring at all. Actually, I only like a few rides at Magic Mountain, for example, and find most of them kind of boring. I guess I'm not very impressed by speed (I drove to the park faster than that!), height, or other characteristics that can be expressed as individual numbers. In fact, aside from theming, the main reason that I prefer even Disneyland's rollercoasters is that they're so crazy, quickly darting this way and that, and making it seem as though your head is going to get knocked off by a themed structure--it's a real thrill to perceive that you're about to die! The rides at Magic Mountain are tame in comparison, at least to me. I guess everybody's different after all (surprise!).

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by NikNak View Post

I know.. I know... she's crazy.
    Okay...while I can't imagine finding Disneyland's attractions boring, I can at least understand that they're inevitably not gonna be for everybody. But...too pristine? Too much theme?

What?

• Senior Minion

I kind of agree with you Robert, I don't really find DL's rides scary, but I know what you mean. To me they are just about right. I wouldn't mind a slight increase in thrill, but I think they are still quite thrilling and have just enough thrill to allow the broadest appeal, and the theming steps up the entire experience making it not just thrilling but a complete experience. I also just enjoy the design of them. Every time I go on BTMR I gain a little bit more appreciation for the design work that went into that ride.

At SFMM I also now enjoy some of the older less crazy attractions the most, because all the new big rides are kind of boring in a sense. I just don't get that much out of inversion after inversion. Many of the coasters just start to blend together in my mind. Other than shorter lines, they really didn't add that much to the experience of the park by adding all those big coasters. For a while it was cool because it did add variety, that Disney could use to some extent, but at some point I feel like the coasters just started no longer having a big payoff in terms of adding new experiences. I do think the new Terminator looks like it could be cool though. Despite that the theme makes no sense whatsoever.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by FolsomFan View Post
    I have a friend who likes to tell me that Disneyland is run by communists because they don't let their employees wear yellow ribbons to support the troops.

This time, she brough it up even before I mentioned that I am taking my family to Disneyland in a couple of weeks. That really steamed my clams. It was just out of the blue since she knows my fondness for Disneyland.

Is there anyone else out there who has an anti-Disneyland friend? If so, what do you do about it?

I don't usually post on Micechat first time for me but this got my attention as a California Native and 20 year military veteran. Tell your friend that I said "are your completely out of your tiny little mind!!!!!!" Lets see, Disney offers the best military discounts to all there resorts to include tickets, cruises, etc... WDW has a military resort on property that rivals the Grand Californian, was the Grand Disney resort prior to Disney leaseing it to the military. Flag retreat ceremony at DL and WDW, hello is anybody home???????

Master Sergeant Disney Davo
    USAF Retired

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Every time I go on BTMR I gain a little bit more appreciation for the design work that went into that ride.
    Same here. For a long time, BTMRR was kind of...underrated in my own head. I enjoyed it when I rode it, but I rarely realized how much of a favorite it was. It's only in the last few years that I've realized...hey, it's a pretty amazing ride! Anticlimactic, yes, but otherwise a really top-notch attraction. The theming has all the right levels of charm, ruggedness, beauty, and "oldness." And ever since my childhood, I've been entranced by the abstract beauty and weirdness of the pools of water at the beginning, the ones I later found out were inspired by the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland.

• Grim Grinning

Quote Originally Posted by SkeletonStockings View Post
    I don't really have any "Anti-Disneyland" friends so much as I have friends who just don't understand. They ask how I can go all the time and not get bored, and I try to explain...but it still sounds boring to them, which is sad.
    That's how my youngest sister was until this past weekend when I took her for her birthday. She used to say I was wasting my time going all the time, she didn't understand how I never get tired of it. I basically had to drag her out of the park on saturday night so we could go home. Now she's planning our next trip. I teased her all the way home saying, "now you understand don't you?" I successfully converted someone, it's really nice.

Sonoma County, Ca. but born in Whittier, Ca.

Anyone who says Disneyland is run by Communists, must not know what Communists really are. DL is run by one of the most premier examples of a Capitalist enterprise...and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-11-2008, 01:26 AM