Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Grim Grinning

Re: Anyone else have an anti-Disneyland friend?

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyJaded View Post
    Not so much anti-Disney fans, more like anti-me talking about Disney 24/7!
    I have the same problem! I can turn any conversation into something about Disney. It irriates my family and friends to no end, they don't know what to do with me.

• Honorary Mermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyJaded View Post
    Not so much anti-Disney fans, more like anti-me talking about Disney 24/7!
    Hahaha I'm like that!
    Everyone was talking about the election and all I could talk about is how I really want to see Pixie Hollow, tehe.

• When Will It Return?

It becomes a sad thing when it tears couples in two, especially married ones. I've never really understood why a husband would just outright refuse to go with his wife to a place like Disneyland just because he didn't like it, or vice-versa. This is the Happiest Place on Earth we're talking about here.

Furthermore, there are so many different ways to go about spending a day, or more, or less at Disneyland. If crowds and trying to ride everything in one day isn't your bag, there are many different ways to emphasize rest during the day while still having an entertaining time.

But going back to the seperation of the couple issue, maybe Disneyland isn't your thing, but isn't it enough to be there for your spouse to receive the experience that the spouse wishes to share with you? If you don't go for Disneyland, at least go for that. No?

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Okay...while I can't imagine finding Disneyland's attractions boring, I can at least understand that they're inevitably not gonna be for everybody. But...too pristine?
    I've heard this from several people, especially those who prefer Knott's Berry Farm. Obviously Knott's has Ghost Town and relics from the past that give it a strong sense of authenticity, and for some people this makes Disneyland look just too perfect (cleanliness is a different issue) and fake. I can understand this because that's sort of how I feel about the aesthetic of Pixar-inspired attractions (not an exact parallel but sort of related). Obviously, we here at MiceChat don't have a problem with a theme park that presents idealized visions of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy in a perfectly designed, laid out, and themed park, but some people do.

I'm just curious as to whether they ever stopped and wondered why Ghost Town is so lively and clean yet so run-down? I mean, does that make any sense at all, much less having rollercoasters zooming around overhead (nowadays )? A real Old West town would probably be the opposite in some ways--dirtier but not so old and close to falling apart. Yeah, I know it's an exhibit, but it's still strange theming for a park. I guess this doesn't bother them--to each their own.

Too much theme?
    Maybe some people simply have a totally different mindset and actually want to ride a coaster. Maybe they're annoyed that Disneyland disguises its coasters as something else--they don't want to ride a mine train, they want to ride a coaster that goes really high and really fast, and they want to be able to see its structure. Maybe they consider themselves "purists" in this regard and that Disneyland is just being fake, once again, with all that theming nonsense, I don't know. And then, of course, some people are simply haters and will complain about anything, especially Disneyland's strengths, in an attempt to make their point.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I kind of agree with you Robert, I don't really find DL's rides scary, but I know what you mean.
    Well, for the record, I don't actually find the rides scary--if I truly did, then there must be a good reason for it, and I wouldn't get on them. But pretending is fun, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by anziodogface View Post
    Anyone who says Disneyland is run by Communists, must not know what Communists really are. DL is run by one of the most premier examples of a Capitalist enterprise...and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that!
    While there's nothing wrong with making money, anything taken to its extreme could potentially be detrimental. Some people might look at Walt Disney and think "ultimate capitalist" but money was simply an enabler for him, not a motivational factor in and of itself. Hopefully there are a few people at Disney who are focused on the quality of the product provided even during relatively lean economic periods--just keep up the good work and the money will eventually come.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    I work at an art gallery that works very closely with graffiti and urban artists that have made many public displays and pieces against Disney.
    What's their beef with Disney? Not gangsta enough for them?

Real rides...well, that's subjective. But a real theme park? I'd be highly interested in hearing their analyses of the themes of Six Flags, and why they're so much more in-depth and effective those presented in Disneyland.
    Well, The Riddler's Revenge is painted green, what more do you want? Anything on top of that would hide the fact that it's a REAL rollercoaster, silly Disneyland child. Also, if you don't exit the ride quickly enough, you'll soon be moving around like the Riddler does (which is especially applicable to guys).

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    To many people, lots of coasters constitutes a good theme park. Scary I know.
    It's all about numbers to them--how high, how fast, and how many.

• Former Cast Member

Ya, I have a bunch of friends who cannot stand Disneyland or anything Disney, so I say to he** with them regarding that, but that does not diminish my friendship with them.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I'd like to thank God that all of my friends are ardently pro-Disneyland. I avoid people who aren't like the proverbial bad rash.

• We Want The Redhead

My wife loves the place, but simply is not passionate about it as I am, but we manage!
    My sister calls me a Disneyland geek, but she says it with a smile.
    I have one out of town relative who HATES the place and tries to poop on my parade every chance she gets, but I refuse to bite. On the other hand every time she comes to town with her kids or grandkids, she wants ME to take them to the park!
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    I've heard this from several people, especially those who prefer Knott's Berry Farm. Obviously Knott's has Ghost Town and relics from the past that give it a strong sense of authenticity, and for some people this makes Disneyland look just too perfect (cleanliness is a different issue) and fake. I can understand this because that's sort of how I feel about the aesthetic of Pixar-inspired attractions (not an exact parallel but sort of related). Obviously, we here at MiceChat don't have a problem with a theme park that presents idealized visions of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy in a perfectly designed, laid out, and themed park, but some people do.

I'm just curious as to whether they ever stopped and wondered why Ghost Town is so lively and clean yet so run-down? I mean, does that make any sense at all, much less having rollercoasters zooming around overhead (nowadays )? A real Old West town would probably be the opposite in some ways--dirtier but not so old and close to falling apart. Yeah, I know it's an exhibit, but it's still strange theming for a park. I guess this doesn't bother them--to each their own.
    Those are all valid points. Disneyland at its best feels organic and not prefabricated. I can absolute understand people being annoyed by areas that don't quite manage that.

Maybe some people simply have a totally different mindset and actually want to ride a coaster. Maybe they're annoyed that Disneyland disguises its coasters as something else--they don't want to ride a mine train, they want to ride a coaster that goes really high and really fast, and they want to be able to see its structure. Maybe they consider themselves "purists" in this regard and that Disneyland is just being fake, once again, with all that theming nonsense, I don't know. And then, of course, some people are simply haters and will complain about anything, especially Disneyland's strengths, in an attempt to make their point.
    I can almost appreciate that, too. But not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl
    I'd like to thank God that all of my friends are ardently pro-Disneyland. I avoid people who aren't like the proverbial bad rash.
    Well that might be a bit extreme. I can understand not befriending people who would waste your time and theirs by rudely putting down your interest in Disneyland, but you're limiting your options rather unfairly if intense love for Disneyland is a prerequisite for friendship.
    Last edited by Datameister; 11-11-2008 at 04:55 PM.

• It's all about Theme!

I have a friend who hates it because she thinks kids get kidnapped all the time.

I know right??
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NikNak View Post
    She says that her $71 is better spent elsewhere.
    Well, that is probably true. Not worth that price to many.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    I have a friend who hates it because she thinks kids get kidnapped all the time.
    Only the ones who act poorly and end up as ***** er, donkeys(?). (See: Pinocchio.)
    Last edited by sediment; 11-11-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Hillbilly Philosopher

My father in law HATED Disneyland. They used to have what we called "hospital day" which was a discount day for all hospital employees in Southern California. Of course many of the employees took the day off to go to DL - guess who was stuck doing the work?

On my last trip to CA I made sure I had a Disneyland day, my wife was unable to accompany me (she's not a big fan either). When I said i was going to Disneyland alone my mom gave me a funny look and said "Are you going to ride the kiddie rides?" I looked back at her and asked "They have kiddie rides?"

If you saw a strange looking guy riding on the Casey Jr. Circus train alone last year - That was me! I'm still looking for the "kiddie rides"!

Not all of my friends understand my addiction either. The wife isn't to crazy about DL, but loves the fact that I take my kids all the time, (kids two teenage girls 15 and 17). My wife has an AP just because we do and goes when family and friends come in from out of town and want to go. Most everytime me and the kids go we meet up with my brother and his girlfriend and have fun, great way to just socialize. As far as trying to convert anyone I don't try, it's like telling everyone your Disney secrets about the parks I don't do that either, keeps DL just for me.

Those are all valid points. Disneyland at its best feels organic and not prefabricated. I can absolute understand people being annoyed by areas that don't quite manage that.
    Some might pick on any such flaws, but I think that most have a problem with areas that you or I would consider just about perfect in every way, since such criticism is almost always couched in general terms. They just don't like the whole concept behind Disneyland, or maybe they're biased against anything or anyone who is either at the top or strives for the loftiest goals. This is where the very real social phenomenon of rooting for the underdog comes from, I believe. As for myself, I like what I like regardless of such issues and think that striving for the loftiest goals is commendable, but that's just me.

Well that might be a bit extreme. I can understand not befriending people who would waste your time and theirs by rudely putting down your interest in Disneyland, but you're limiting your options rather unfairly if intense love for Disneyland is a prerequisite for friendship.
    That wasn't me, by the way. The quote was unattributed, but it sort of seemed like part of the same conversation, so I thought I'd point it out, that's all. In an earlier post I had said that people who think Disneyland fans are stupid can take a hike, and I meant it (why should I hang out with people who think I'm stupid?), but I don't require anybody to love Disneyland in order to associate with them (although it's definitely a plus!).

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    How else do you think Disneyland gets all its Cast Members?

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    That wasn't me, by the way. The quote was unattributed, but it sort of seemed like part of the same conversation, so I thought I'd point it out, that's all. In an earlier post I had said that people who think Disneyland fans are stupid can take a hike, and I meant it (why should I hang out with people who think I'm stupid?), but I don't require anybody to love Disneyland in order to associate with them (although it's definitely a plus!).
    Ah, sorry about that. I'll edit the post so it's more clear.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-11-2008, 01:26 AM