Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Ready for takeoff

Anyone else have an anti-Disneyland friend?

I have a friend who likes to tell me that Disneyland is run by communists because they don't let their employees wear yellow ribbons to support the troops.

This time, she brough it up even before I mentioned that I am taking my family to Disneyland in a couple of weeks. That really steamed my clams. It was just out of the blue since she knows my fondness for Disneyland.

Is there anyone else out there who has an anti-Disneyland friend? If so, what do you do about it?

• Grim Grinning

Re: Anyone else have an anti-Disneyland friend?

My boyfriend it Anti-Disneyland. He never went until he was 21, he didn't like it much, he had a good time but has no interest in going again. I go as often as I can, he won't go. He says he's done with Disneyland for the next 3-5 years, I don't know how that's possible.

I had another friend tell me Disneyland is for kids and I shouldn't care so much about going since it's a little kid place. I soooo beg to differ.

Off topic, do you live in Folsom? That's really close to me, we should go to DL some time just to irritate the anti disney folk lol.

• Ready for takeoff

Quote Originally Posted by amanda.collishaw View Post
    My boyfriend it Anti-Disneyland. He never went until he was 21, he didn't like it much, he had a good time but has no interest in going again. I go as often as I can, he won't go. He says he's done with Disneyland for the next 3-5 years, I don't know how that's possible.

I had another friend tell me Disneyland is for kids and I shouldn't care so much about going since it's a little kid place. I soooo beg to differ.

Off topic, do you live in Folsom? That's really close to me, we should go to DL some time just to irritate the anti disney folk lol.
    I don't know how someone can say they can be done with Disneyland for that long! They just don't get it. I don't mond if people don't want to go, but for them to so overtly tell me how much they hate Disneyland is the part that bothers me.

Yes, I do live in Folsom!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FolsomFan View Post
    I don't know how someone can say they can be done with Disneyland for that long! They just don't get it. I don't mond if people don't want to go, but for them to so overtly tell me how much they hate Disneyland is the part that bothers me.
    It tells me that they don't want to be your friend.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Fantasmic Fanatic!

Off topic, do you live in Folsom? That's really close to me, we should go to DL some time just to irritate the anti Disney folk lol.

I have similar stuff happen to me. My whole family consists of Disney lovers beginning with myself, I'm 18 but when i go there i feel like im 5 again! My brother in law however had never been there until christmas of last year and WOW he HATED IT he said he would never like to go back its a place for little kids and he told me that i must be really immature since i like going there. I could care less of what he says he just never really lived a childhood according to his family so whatever he says goes in one ear and out the other.

I also have friends who tell me im childish for going there at least 2 times a year and that if i dont get tired...my answer NO I DONT! to me every year i go just keeps getting better and better.

Yea.. long story but just wanted to share

• =)

I've certainly befriended people who are at least unimpressed by anything Disneyland-related...few of them have displayed open contempt for the park or anything, but even that's happened a few times. I've had to learn to keep my tongue under control when visiting places like Six Flags or Great America or the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk with friends...if I shared half of what was going on in my head, they'd ditch me in a flash, I'm sure. (That's not to say I don't try to have a good time.)

• Honorary Mermaid.

Unfortunately.
    I have a friend who never misses an opportunity to say "Walt Disney was a fascist". and point out ALL the subliminal messages in the Disney movies. blah blah blah. As if I even care. >_<

When we were planning our week long Graduation trip to Disneyland, one said "5 days is way too long for Disneyland. I can hardly stand 1 day.".... and in my head I was saying, THAT, my friend, is why you aren't invited ^_^

Whatever though!
    Love what you love, and don't listen to what other people think about it. (Though I know it gets really annoying after a while).
    People just like being fun suckers.

• Senior Minion

Most of DL is for everyone, not just kids, many people are just too biased to see that. Cartoons suffer the same fate. Many adults just refuse to give credit for something that they see as a "kids" art form, even when they are clearly aimed at adults. Just tell them that theme parks were once the favorite entertainment of European nobility, maybe that will get them to rethink things a little.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Blow me to Bermuda!

See now, this is where I am the black sheep of my family. The rest of them just don't get it. lol The kid and I are the only ones who have ever gone. I cut my mom some slack because she has pretty bad motion sickness and doesn't like any amusement park. The rest of them I just don't understand. They'd all rather take those relaxing, tour guidey type vacations. haha

As far as I'm concerned, it's 4 less people in the park while I'm there and I never have to share the kid with my family when we go there either.

Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.

• Grim Grinning

I stopped listening to what people say about me going to Disneyland all the time. I don't understand how people don't enjoy going there. I guess since I went for the first time when I was 4, (1993) that makes a difference as opposed to my boyfriend who had never gone until he was 21, guess he missed the window of finding Disneyland as magical as I do.

• no flash photography...

my Bf does not care for disneyland. He went when he was 8 years old and has never been back. he has no desire to go. I think that was in 1966. He doesn't care if I go, but he won't go. It doesn't bother me that he does not want to go. I really don't think he would like most of it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

My family gets, my husband gets it. My best friend was like this until I dragged his butt over to WDW and he cracked. Literally cracked. Within several minutes of entering Hollywood Studios, he pointed at the Tower of Terror and simply stated, "what's that?"

I didn't say anything. When the screams from inside were heard, he flipped...and we had another convert.

Peace?
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Oh sure, although most are acquaintances or relatives. Not long ago, a cousin of mine managed to immigrate to the United States from our third-world country of origin on the other side of the world, and he was utterly unimpressed by Disneyland, saying that it was dull, but he thought that Magic Mountain was marvelous. People have different (poor) tastes, I guess, and that's OK with me (they're still nutcases), but what I won't tolerate is personal attacks against those who happen to love Disneyland. If anybody thinks that I'm stupid or lacking in some profound way as a human being because of it, or makes a general statement to that effect (just calling me crazy or weird would be fine ), then I guess I won't waste any more of their time. Buh-bye!
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 11-10-2008 at 05:48 PM.

• Mrs. J. Depp

My boyfriend it Anti-Disneyland. He never went until he was 21, he didn't like it much, he had a good time but has no interest in going again. I go as often as I can, he won't go. He says he's done with Disneyland for the next 3-5 years, I don't know how that's possible
    See for me that would be a deal breaker. I need to have a boyfriend who enjoys going with me to the parks and has as much fun as I do.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Following the Second Star

My history teacher is anti disney in general. I keep telling him that I'm gonna drag him to Disneyland one day.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-11-2008, 01:26 AM