Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking need trip advice- semi-disney newbie

i'm planning a trip for me and a few friends in summer of next year to DL. one of my friends hasn't been to the park since june of 96. (my jaw dropped when i heard that.. lol)

i'm trying to figure out what are must-sees for him. aiming for 2-3 days there if we can all make it.
    i know to include the rides that have opened since then. his last trip wasn't all that.. magical. i'd like to give him better memories of disney. he asked me to show him what makes me love the place..

now how do i work that? i've been going for decades.. lol.

any ideas?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: need trip advice- semi-disney newbie

Let's see....taking your time and doing smaller things, even if they are slightly "cheesy"..i'm looking at you, Tiki Room....which I love by the way...is a good thing. Break up the big rides with going around and looking at details...the stuff that makes Disneyland different, the little side alleys and paths and extra props in attractions and stores. Watch live bands and shows, like the Bootstrappers and the jazz bands, the marching band, and all the rest. Certainly hit the rides Disneyland is known for....the ones that give one-of-a-kind, immersive experiences...Pirates, Mansion, Matterhorn, Indy, Subs....just vary it up and do big stuff and little stuff mixed together, relax. That's my tips basically.

• Senior Minion

Well, it's a lot easier to decide what to focus on based on the persons preferences. In general I would say use fastpass well, do some of the things you love, because it sounds like that's what he wants to see, and your love will probably be contageous. I think the must sees are pretty obvious. Read people's top ten list from today for those.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• always, the freaky cat

Go to the Main Street railroad station and ask to ride the Lilly Belle.
    Watch the flag retreat ceremony.
    Enjoy a conversation with a cast member.
    Read the windows on Main Street.
    Sit in the front row on Space Mtn., and the back row on Big Thunder.
    Laugh like little kids on the teacups.

• Disneymom

This may seem as if it is for kids but to me it is Fantasyland. That is what Disney is to me. The original rides and Magic. Don't forget some specail character interaction too. Take the time to do the things that excite you. Everyone so far has good ideas.

• Animation Domination

Let's see your going during the summer then you need to watch Fantasmic! and Remember.....Dream Come True Fireworks.
    Get Fastpasses for Splash, Big Thunder, Space, BLAB, Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin and Indy. You totally have to watch tiki tiki room and It's a small world. If your going during the weekday most rides lines are short or are just walk-ins. This summer during the weekend BLAB, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder and POTC were mainly 5 minutes wait or walk ins. What ever you do don't go to Innoventions or HISTA. If your going over to DCA that will probably just take a day to do all the fun rides...like GRR, Soarin', Screamin', TOT, Toy Story Midway Mania and Pixar Play Parade. Most of these rides also have single riders.

• Keep Moving Forward

There are a lot of things you could do, but I'll give you some advice based on personal experience. Board the Mark Twain and head to the very back of the top deck. As you pass around the front of Tom Sawyer's Island, you'll be treated to the landscape of New Orleans Square, a perspective you can't get anywhere else. It's really quite spectacular receiving the full scope of that area of the park, and I think it effectively captures how Disneyland succeeds in being completely immersive, not just in its rides.

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Let's see....taking your time and doing smaller things, even if they are slightly "cheesy"..i'm looking at you, Tiki Room....which I love by the way...is a good thing.
    Along similar lines are the Storybook Land Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Circus Train.

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Break up the big rides with going around and looking at details...the stuff that makes Disneyland different, the little side alleys and paths and extra props in attractions and stores.
    Some examples of which are the light in the window of Walt Disney's apartment above the firehouse, the Evil Queen periodically glaring out of her window at guests, the apple at the entrance of Snow White's Scary Adventures that triggers the Old Crone's cackle, the Snow White Grotto with the wishing well (lots of Snow White stuff, huh?), the petrified tree stump that Walt bought for his wife who re-gifted it to Disneyland (clever man ), the imprints in the concrete in Frontierland, the Disney family crest on the castle, a little doghouse that says "Indy" visible from the Disneyland Railroad trains, the ghost horse harnessed to the hearse in the courtyard of the Haunted Mansion, and all kinds of stuff I'm sure you'll be reminded of while you're actually there.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Go to the Main Street railroad station and ask to ride the Lilly Belle.
    Or for a ride up front on the tender.

• Lego Peoplemover Priit

Cool Re: need trip advice- semi-disney newbie

In the morning hit a couple of big rides and then ride the smaller ones with shorter lines (Pirates, Most of Fantasyland, Big Thunder, Jungle, Buzz, Star Tours.) As well get fastpasses for the big rides you skipped. Later at night use the fastpasses and hit any ride you are dying for.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    There are a lot of things you could do, but I'll give you some advice based on personal experience. Board the Mark Twain and head to the very back of the top deck. As you pass around the front of Tom Sawyer's Island, you'll be treated to the landscape of New Orleans Square, a perspective you can't get anywhere else. It's really quite spectacular receiving the full scope of that area of the park, and I think it effectively captures how Disneyland succeeds in being completely immersive, not just in its rides.
    That's true. Nothing screams mid-19th century America more than the Maliboomer rising behind the French Quarter.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

When you're walking near the hub... SING! Just start singing along with all that fabulous music you hear. You don't even have to know all the words to these great American show-tunes (but that does make it even better). But you know the melodies so just hum out loud.

I'm a firm believer that if more people sang in public we could, in fact, achieve Peace on Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    That's true. Nothing screams mid-19th century America more than the Maliboomer rising behind the French Quarter.
    Walt Disney should have been more careful in theming New Orleans Square in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    I'm a firm believer that if more people sang in public we could, in fact, achieve Peace on Earth!
    That's a nice thought. For one thing, I'm sure that there would be no more wars between countries with everybody so busy beating each other up on the streets all the time, screaming "The noise! Make it stop!" Sorry.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 11-11-2008 at 08:35 AM.

• We Want The Redhead

Heck, I would start by trying to figure out why the previous trip didn't go so well, and work this visit around that.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• A Weather Eye Open

i think in 2-3 days you can do the whole park and more, especially if you work fastpasses as much as you can.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• I'm not really here

I agree completely with what others have said about doing the seemingly "cheesy" things. If you do them though, get REALLY into them. If you're riding Dumbo (and you should) throw your hands in the air and act like a 6 year old.

Sing along with Pierre (you rascal you!) and Fritz and company.

Whistle or sing along with the area music. Stop and see the shows. Sit and bask in the beauty and splendor of the different areas of the park. What truly makes Disneyland magical is that it isn't about the rides. It is about being able to tap into that very real child that lives in each and every one of us.

As an adult, if you come across a tin can on the sidewalk, you're likely to either pass it by or just pick it up and throw it away. But a child sees an astronaut's walkie-talkie and suddenly they are on a daring rescue mission above the frozen surface of a distant planet.

This is what Disney magic can do. It can unlock that child that still crouches in the back of each of our adult minds and it lets us be young at heart again, without having to feel self conscious about it as the world has taught us as adults to be. It frees the imagination and lets it soar.

My advice to you is to make that possible for your friend. Let the magic and imagination fill your days there. Don't just ride pirates... BE pirates. Don't just ride Peter Pan... FLY over London.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast