• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Question Yesterday at Disneyland...

Yesterday I witnessed at least 6 or 7 times, naval planes circling the park and flying over multiple times.

I know Disneyland is restricted airspace, but not to Naval aircraft.

Is there anything going on in the area that would involve these aircrafts flying over the park?

Re: Yesterday at Disneyland...

Hey, even Naval Aviators like to get bird's eye views of Disneyland.

• Nill

Seawolf will be able to answer your question better than I, as what I know about it came from him, haha.

It was something about repainting some aircraft in Texas(?). They were likely flying back into Long Beach airport.

A lot of those planes have been flying over Anaheim this past weekend, they are going to Los Alamitos Army Airfield.

• always, the freaky cat

I live in Long Beach, and we had a Veterans Day Parade on Saturday that included some airplane flyovers. I saw the planes overhead a day or two before the parade, in addition to at the parade itself. Perhaps the planes you saw were enroute to or from a similar event.

• Minion

I was wondering the same thing. I got on the tram and heard a low flying plane. A quick wtbbq? and I had my head poking out the side to watch a plane going by. Totally ruined the magic for me and I'm never going back! :P It was just really odd to hear those sounds at Disneyland.

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by BurtGummer View Post
    Seawolf will be able to answer your question better than I, as what I know about it came from him, haha.

It was something about repainting some aircraft in Texas(?). They were likely flying back into Long Beach airport.
    Recently, C-17s and DC-10s have been painted and marked in Texas, and then flown into Long Beach Airport for further modifications, as they are manufactured by Boeing (which has a major manufacturing plant at the Long Beach Airport). This is only a guess, but I think that many of them are being prepared for flights to the Middle East for deployed troops. I've been seeing them fly over since last Tuesday (Election Day), and there was alot of activity yesterday in particular. The flight path for these planes goes near or almost over Disneyland, depending on their entry vector into Long Beach. Eventually, they'll fly right over Cal State Long Beach (I go to school there, so I see them sometimes fly over there too) and land.

Quote Originally Posted by atbsfire View Post
    A lot of those planes have been flying over Anaheim this past weekend, they are going to Los Alamitos Army Airfield.
    Some may have been going there, but not the big transport planes that I believe they are referring to. They use Long Beach Airport because it has a very large airstrip, but it is also a smaller airport with not as much commercial flights going in and out (JetBlue is the biggest commercial airline that offers flights from Long Beach). Also, as I mentioned before, Boeing has their manufacturing plant for these planes there, as well. Usually, you'll see more fighter jet and helicopter air traffic going int the Los Al base then the bigger planes such as C-17s. On occasion they do land there for troop deployment, training, etc., but not often.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWolf38 View Post
    Eventually, they'll fly right over Cal State Long Beach (I go to school there, so I see them sometimes fly over there too) and land.
    I go to CSULB too! I was wondering what was up with all the military planes flying over campus.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The last thing I ever want to be is a fear-monger. But my first thought upon encountering this hread was that it might have something to do with heightened security around major public venues, what with the most recent bin Laden tape they're talking about on the news.

I'm perfectly happy with the explanations given above, although they are at least indirectly related.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Disneyland isnt restricted airspace anymore. Hasnt been for a while now.

• Shubisha

Just this afternoon I walked out of my house(right nextdoor to Disneyland) and saw a commercial jet going over me and right over the outside border of the park well under 6,000 feet. I hadn't really seen that, I'd only seen them with a little more distance and quite a bit higher altitude. I know John Wayne airport has a visual approach that went close to Disneyland but that would've been on the other side of the park. I've never seen a big non-military plane that close and that low before.

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by NikNak View Post
    I go to CSULB too! I was wondering what was up with all the military planes flying over campus.
    Sweeeet!

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I LOVE to see those planes! And as I've stated here before, I always stop and look up and give 'em a wave and a great big THANK YOU!! And I don't care if I'm at Disneyland or the WalMart parking lot. My family and I owe the people flying those birds everything!

And Happy Veterans Day to our men and women who have worn the uniform.

It might have been planes leaving Los Alamitos Sunday and related to this story from the OC register. I was busy Sunday, but got to see a C-17 takeoff around 4:30pm and head towards Anaheim.

Thursday, November 6, 2008
    About 50 military tanker planes fly into O.C. today

Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base to host the aircraft

By JAIMEE LYNN FLETCHER
    The Orange County Register
    LOS ALAMITOS– Nearly 50 military tanker planes flying through Orange County skies today will land at the Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base.
    The pilots and crew members will leave the planes at the base as they attend the Airlift Tanker's Association convention in Anaheim today through Sunday.
    The planes will be flying out on Sunday.
    The Airlift Tanker Association works to ensure the military continues to have the air mobility capabilities to execute national security strategy, according to the group's Web site.
    The association includes active duty and retired military personnel, members of the National Guard and the Army Reserve, civilians and industry professionals.
    For more information about the group, go to Airlift/Tanker Association

• Crockett's Explorer Guide

Quote Originally Posted by nolimit View Post
    Disneyland isnt restricted airspace anymore. Hasnt been for a while now.
    You are correct, and I would hope we can get the rumor dispelled.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-10-2008, 07:18 PM