Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Safety considerations breathing mist from Rivers of America during Fantasmic?

Considering the water quality of rivers of America, what are the ramifications of breathing in the aerosolized water particles from the Fantasmic "Mist" screens? I ask this because I have a family member with respiratory issues and also wonder what the health affects of breathing aerosolized water from a questionable water source. Any ideas?

• =)

Re: Safety considerations breathing mist from Rivers of America during Fantasmic?

That's an interesting question. Do the mist screens use the green water of ROA or a separate, cleaner source? I'd imagine Disney wouldn't risk sending all of that yuckiness into thousands of throats every night...but I could be wrong...

• The one and only

Re: Safety considerations breathing mist from Rivers of America during Fantasmic?

i want to believe they actually use freshwater, i mean....
    have you seen all those pipes when the river was drained?
    One of those HAS to be for water...

but then again, you never know ....unless you do know... i guess... >.>

• Sock Puppet

You'd probably get more germs thrown at you on the Tram on the way to the Park.

From what I have heard, they use reclaimed water that has been filtered, but non-potable.

Makes sense too, since the water has to be pressurized in order to be sprayed and controlled, hence a closed system for the water supply.

Good luck!

• Senior Minion

The piping would be needed either way, but I'm thinking that it would fresh water to prevent particles from clogging the nozzles, as well as the health issues. It's an interesting question, I'm sure someone knows.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Collision speed....FULL!

If only they still had Cascade Peak, then I'd believe that the water is filtered (Cascade Peak when it was around, served as the filtration system for ROA; The intake for the pumps was near "Big Thunder Falls" and it would collect huge amounts of muck, dirt, and trash that had to be removed from the filters of the intake every week.) I don't know how its done now.
    Last edited by Nautilus; 11-11-2008 at 07:03 PM.

• Crockett's Explorer Guide

The water used in Fantasmic! is 100% purified water, this is not because breathing in the river water would be hazardous (I doubt it) it is because the lines that run all the water would get clogged up with algae and other particulates.

I can guarantee that you have nothing to worry about, and you are breathing in fresh, clean water.

• Senior Monorail Minion

The screens seemed to really soak the audience on the first night. They seem to be pressurized more than before the refurb but then again it could just be me...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    That's an interesting question. Do the mist screens use the green water of ROA or a separate, cleaner source? I'd imagine Disney wouldn't risk sending all of that yuckiness into thousands of throats every night...but I could be wrong...
    The green color of the water is mostly the result of some sort of non-toxic coloring agent, and it doesn't seem to harm the ducks living there. The water may also contain something like citronella to control mosquitoes. I wouldn't drink the water, personally, but if you jumped into the river you'd be fine.

I don't know where the water for the mist screens comes from, but the river would be the most convenient source if it could be filtered adequately at a high enough rate. Otherwise, it may be possible to use whatever existing infrastructure there may be directly, such as a municipal source of reclaimed water (evaporation has to be accounted for anyway).

• "I Break Things"

I would be more concerned about the smoke from the pyrotechnics... ask the Thunder Crew about it they're usually down wind.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

I'd be more worried about the normal, everyday Los Angeles Basin air myself.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Safety Third.

• Lackey

Not to bring up too many concerns, but I'd worry most about the crowds around you, packed in that tightly. You can stay back far enough from the water and still see the show, without having to breathe in the vapor. Just check the wind direction to be sure, and avoid the crowds - if possible.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

thanks for the tips and suggestions!

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by aenobarbe View Post
    The water used in Fantasmic! is 100% purified water, this is not because breathing in the river water would be hazardous (I doubt it) it is because the lines that run all the water would get clogged up with algae and other particulates.

I can guarantee that you have nothing to worry about, and you are breathing in fresh, clean water.
    good to know, or at least THINK i know now. i've thought about what was blowing on my face before and wondered... not because i think ROA is particularly hazardous, but because i think it's kinda GROSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    The screens seemed to really soak the audience on the first night. They seem to be pressurized more than before the refurb but then again it could just be me...
    it's the wind direction... i've been told the screens and their projections are now bigger, but it depends on which way the breeze is blowing how wet you will get. i've been soaked before, and on those nights you can hardly see through the pyro smoke as well because it blows out in front and blocks your view.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-14-2008, 01:24 PM