Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Earthquake drill Thursday - will Disneyland participate?

Earthquake drill Thursday aims to make California more prepared

I'm off to Disneyland tomorrow, but not until after 10am, so it wouldn't affect me. But I was wondering if Disneyland and the Resort are participating in this drill or not. And if so, would they shutdown rides, evacuate restaurants, etc.?

• Vasooki-land Owner

Re: Earthquake drill Thursday - will Disneyland participate?

My goodness, that article is really happy ain't it? I hate when scientists think they can predict the unpredictable. Some things just can't be predicted. Other than that, I have no idea.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

The park opens at 10, so nope.

Our district is doing the drill which is going to last 2 full hours. We cannot leave the campus and we are not allowed to leave the campus for lunch. Just imagine the chaos. Students will have to use a make shift toilet in the field blocked by a cardboard box. I would hate to imagine when the real one hits how "NOT Ready" we really are. Wait and see..

• "I Break Things"

Drills have an amazing way of showing how chaotic chaos actually is. I always enjoyed "Well they didn't cover this in the drill" or "We assumed that would happen, it did in the drill". It is a false sense of security that is stamped, sealed and delivered with the promise of being ready.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Is it summer yet???

Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Our district is doing the drill which is going to last 2 full hours. We cannot leave the campus and we are not allowed to leave the campus for lunch. Just imagine the chaos. Students will have to use a make shift toilet in the field blocked by a cardboard box. I would hate to imagine when the real one hits how "NOT Ready" we really are. Wait and see..
    A porta potty - seriously? 2 hours? Our district is participating too (Adelanto - High Desert) but our principal said it would only be about 1/2 hour to an hour.
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

• A Weather Eye Open

that's a cool idea to have this drill. i hope that it will include some more useful prepared-ness campaigns like teaching people how to make their home more earthquake safe and stuff too. it's not about prediction, because that is probably not possible with earthquakes, but prevention of damage and being prepared for what might have to happen if we lose things like infrastructure.

too bad nor-cal's not doing something like this! my town could probably benefit because our fault (the Maacama, I think it's called) is due for a big shaker.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• ...TWO BITS!

my campus ended up not doing it. apparently people assumed there would be a fire alarm... i thought were just supposed to act like there was an earthquake at 10am??

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Following the Second Star

Our drill was weird. 9:55 my math teacher got distracted and showed us the video of what they think will happen (if what they think will happen does, not good news for Disneyland I can tell you that), 9:59 our VP came over the intercom and told us to start the drill, and like...1 minute later, he told us to get up and it was turned into a fire drill.

But yes, if what they think happens in the earthquake does, LA and Anaheim are in trouble. In the video the earthquake was there for two+ minutes, and it would be strong. But lets hope this isn't right, they are predicting for the unpredictable

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• Circle of Ancients

I was in the middle of a training class and somebody barged into my conference room and told me I had to get under the table.

Everybody on the phone for my class was laughing at me as I was the only one in CA.

• Senior Minion

We had the drill at work, and honestly since the last earthquake we're pretty well prepared. Lucky for me though I wasn't in the building for the last one a few months ago.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    We had the drill at work, and honestly since the last earthquake we're pretty well prepared. Lucky for me though I wasn't in the building for the last one a few months ago.
    Typical government employer making their employees do this. Heaven forbid our tax dollars go to actually getting some work done!

These "drills" sound a lot like the old drills that kids had to do in school to be prepared for the nuclear bomb going off. So glad that they taught students to hide under their desks when the big one goes off. I know that earthquake preparedness in California is very important, however, if no one takes it seriously....

• "I Break Things"

Odd question... do they still teach "duck and cover" or do they teach triangle of life now?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by evilprncess96 View Post
    These "drills" sound a lot like the old drills that kids had to do in school to be prepared for the nuclear bomb going off. So glad that they taught students to hide under their desks when the big one goes off. I know that earthquake preparedness in California is very important, however, if no one takes it seriously....
    So did our desks have some kind of magical shield that would protect us from the radiation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast