Each year Christmas music and decorations go up earlier and earlier.

I understand businesses are continuing the trend of trying to start the Christmas season earlier and earlier, but jeez, playing Christmas music loop and having the tree up November 10, seems a bit premature to me.
    Oh well, what do I know? Soon they might as well just leave the tree and decorations up all year. Is it just me or could we hold off until Thanksgiving, like tradition dictated? ?

• Fireworks Finatic!

Re: Each year Christmas music and decorations go up earlier and earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    I understand businesses are continuing the trend of trying to start the Christmas season earlier and earlier, but jeez, playing Christmas music loop and having the tree up November 10, seems a bit premature to me.
    Oh well, what do I know? Soon they might as well just leave the tree and decorations up all year. Is it just me or could we hold off until Thanksgiving, like tradition dictated? ?
    It's actually later this year and last year. Before that, they would start the very first weekend in November. But once they started doing HalloweenTime, they pushed back the start of Christmas a couple weeks. But this year, they have begun playing the Christmas loop on Main Street early. They would usually wait until the "official" first day of Christmas, which is Nov 21 this year. I guess someone just thought oh well, the place is all decorated, might as way play Christmas music..

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The Christmas Tree is going to have special lighting features that are part of a greater lighting show stretching from Sleeping Beauty Winter Castle to Christmas Tree Point. I would suspect the tree is up earlier than usual this year because it needs to be in place so they can get the lighting show properly programmed before the holidays officially start on November 21.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

By the way, the tree was up as of November 12th, not the 10th. I think that goes for the music loop too, but I can't verify it.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The Christmas Tree is going to have special lighting features that are part of a greater lighting show stretching from Sleeping Beauty Winter Castle to Christmas Tree Point. I would suspect the tree is up earlier than usual this year because it needs to be in place so they can get the lighting show properly programmed before the holidays officially start on November 21.
    Riding back on the tram one night, I caught them running timecode through the tree. I didn't know the tree would be part of the overall light show.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• always, the freaky cat

I was at Disneyland on the 11th, and there was no tree or Christmas music on Main Street--at least not when I was in that part of the park.

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

If it is part of the show they are supposed to test the Holiday Fireworks tonight sometime. Or maybe just a different portion of the show?

The Christmas tree was up and fully decorate on October 31st, 2000. On Halloween night, guests left the park under the sparkling wreaths and shimmering lights of the Christmas tree while old fashioned Christmas carols played over the park speakers.

The following year they pushed it back to November 2nd. And when the first year of Believe In Holiday Magic began, it debuted to park guests on November 3rd, 2000.

Two years ago the Christmas parade and all the Christmas entertainment debuted on Veterans Day Weekend, November 8th.

This year the Christmas parade and Believe Holiday fireworks don't start until November 22nd.

So, no, Christmas doesn't start earlier and earlier each year. At Disneyland they've actually pushed it back a few weeks compared to the rather recent past. But if you've only been paying attention for three or four years, I could see how your point of reference would make you think that Christmas is early. It's not, historically speaking.

• A Weather Eye Open

i think it just seems early. Lots of people think of the Holidays and winter starting just after Halloween, because of the time change, the weather changing quickly, and thanksgiving and christmas are both holidays where you are with your family, so they're both part of the same season. i kind of like it; when i was a kid it always felt like christmas was too long in the coming and over too quickly. now i like to get ready for christmas for a long time before it comes. once it's cold enough outside to smell people's fireplaces burning, it smells like christmas to me!

(PS, can you believe my mother is ALREADY getting on to me about not having a complete christmas list done to give to my relatives? she got mad at me about it last week.)
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• =)

I agree, though I can appreciate a desire to get all the kinks worked out before the holiday rush.

• Shubisha

2 years ago the tree went up and the full christmas season started around the 9th or something and people thought it was really early, they even had the survey takers out in the esplanade asking people if they felt it was too early and when people thought an ideal starting point was.. so at the very least, they've taken opinions of when people will start getting really annoyed by stuff being put up too early

• Goofy

To me its not that early at all its all perfect.

They have decorations up in NOS in mid-October...durring their supposed Halloween Time celebration. I wish they'd start decorating for spring on Dec 15th to give Christmas a taste of it's own medicine.