Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Most Dangerous Attraction during a 7.8 Earthquake????

Where would you NOT want to be IN or ON during a 7.8 earthquake at the Disneyland Resort and why?
    *Tower of Terror--Might be my last drop of my life!

• 'Sleeping Beauty'

Re: Most Dangerous Attraction during a 7.8 Earthquake????

It's a small world!
    watching the earth come to an end while listening to that song, over and over and over and over and over again ;]
    NO THANKS!

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Wow, snappy, you took the answer right out of my mouth (Tower of Terror would have been my choice). But as an alternative, California Screamin.' I do not want to be thrown off the tracks during an earthquake!

• Animation Domination

The final drop on Splash Mountain or anywhere else on that ride.

I would not want to be by an area of the resort with large trees. I wouldn't be too worried about being inside a building or attraction during an earthquake, because those have standards and check-ups and maitenence done to them, plus they have emergency brakes. But trees are a different matter.

• =)

Difficult to say. It'd be interesting to get the opinion of someone "in the know." Instinctively...yeah, taller attractions seem scarier. Having a massive earthquake when I'm at the top of Splash Mountain would be less than ideal...

• Animation Domination

I wouldn't want to be on Nemo..no way out.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Mickey's Fun Wheel.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    I wouldn't want to be on Nemo..no way out.
    Sure, if it caved in. But you could certainly get out if the show building was still standing, which it very well could be...I've heard it's pretty resistant to seismic stress. Remember, the top hatch of the submarine is never submerged, and there are catwalks all through the show building. My backstage knowledge of FNSV is insignificant compared to what I know about some other attractions, but from the sound of things, escaping that particular facility wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But I could be wrong.

• Nill

Monorail. In a powerful earthquake, I think the track could crack and completely disintegrate in areas......and I might be unlucky enough to be on the monorail over one of those areas. Most structures are only steel supports, which means they can flex and withstand alot of seismic movement, but I don't know how much rebar, if any, is in the monorail track.

• Senior Minion

I can guarantee that there's lots of steel in the monorail beam, it wouldn't work otherwise. Concrete cannot span any distance without steel, it has virtually no tensile strength. In fact, I would also guarantee that the steel is designed in such a way to fail before the concrete does, so that the beam will just sag, but not fail catastrophically.

Also, if it did fail, it would likely be at the connection, the beam would come off its column.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

Mansion Ballroom Scene. Glass and a second story.

• Nill

It still might crumble away though, haha.

• Senior Minion

Most of the newer rides will be significantly safer than many older ones just because the codes have become much more strict. In that sense I do think the Monorail could be a bad one. Honestly, most places could potentially be dangerous but I'm having a hard time thinking of any single attraction that I would single out. I actually think TOT is probably one of the safest. It's more safe that being in a normal elevator for sure. I wouldn't feel good about the Sun Wheel, but look at it from an engineering standpoint, it does seem like it might do ok. It has pretty major steel columns that are angled to help absorb latteral motion and fairly light loads, especially the way they usually load it. Any of the coasters would obviously be horrible if a section of track failed, I really can't say which would be most likely to fail though.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'd like to be on no ride during an earthquake thanks. But the most dangerous to be on, that's hard to say because I'm sure each ride may have its own different reaction and depending on how safe the structures are, there is no way to tell.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast