Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Circular metal "tracks" on Indy exit path

On the exit path of Indy, just near (or past) the temple, pretty close to the Adventureland trail, there are these two metal "tracks", maybe 3 or 4 inches apart, that form a small part of a big circle and cut right across the pathway. It would be a pretty big circle if it went all the way around, but this arc is maybe about a 10th of a full circle.

I didn't have time to stop and investigate, but I did look back and thought maybe it would be for some kind of gate, but usually they would just have pole holes.

Anyway, what are those?

• We Want The Redhead

Re: Circular metal "tracks" on Indy exit path

I always figured they were mine cart tracks added as 'atmosphere.'
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

But they're only 3 or 4 inches apart.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Themeing, nothing more.

• keh!

just for decor.

• =)

As far as I can tell, they are indeed just fake tracks for nonexistent mine cars or whatnot to be used by the excavation crew. If my resources are correct, they start by the south (left) side of the entrance temple, trace along the north (left) side of the exit path, and then cut across the path in the semicircular shape you're describing, leading to a weird, boiler-like structure on the bank of the river. I agree that they look a little weird, but I'm pretty sure they're just there for thematic reasons. If I can, I'll try to post an aerial photo with the layout of those tracks overlaid on top later.

For theme makes sense, but they are so narrow, it's hard to imagine them being themed to mine cars. Also, they make (from what I can remember) a nearly perfect circular arc, again not what you'd expect for mine car tracks.

But theme it is.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    For theme makes sense, but they are so narrow, it's hard to imagine them being themed to mine cars. Also, they make (from what I can remember) a nearly perfect circular arc, again not what you'd expect for mine car tracks.

But theme it is.
    Well, it's a somewhat curvy and irregular layout - the majority of the tracks aren't part of that semicircle that crosses the footpath. I don't know why they didn't just make the tracks cut across diagonally instead of the 300-degree turn...that doesn't make much sense. That arc takes them closer to the truck...so maybe that has something to do with it...I dunno. Also, my blueprint indicates that these tracks are about 1' 6" apart, which is still narrow, but not as narrow as you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Well, it's a somewhat curvy and irregular layout - the majority of the tracks aren't part of that semicircle that crosses the footpath. I don't know why they didn't just make the tracks cut across diagonally instead of the 300-degree turn...that doesn't make much sense. That arc takes them closer to the truck...so maybe that has something to do with it...I dunno. Also, my blueprint indicates that these tracks are about 1' 6" apart, which is still narrow, but not as narrow as you're saying.
    Well, now I need to get back up there and investigate some more. I didn't know the tracks wind through that area and my eyes must have been playing tricks on me b/c I could have sworn then were closer than 1.5 feet.

• "I Break Things"

FYI there is a car on the tracks... just look to your left as you exit the temple you'll see it... actually I think there are 2 if I remember correctly (one empty and one with a spotlight on it).
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I'll check for the cars too.

I won't be up to DL for another couple weeks, so if anyone feels like getting a picture of those tracks in the pavement, I'd appreciate it!

• I'm not really here

Yes, there are cars on the tracks. They aren't full sized mine cars. They are more like little hoppers to carry artifacts and things across the site on with ease.

These are actually used fairly often at dig sites and have been for some time:

(image courtesy of princeton archaeology)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Isn't there a big door there? Maybe its tracks for the casters that the door rides on? I may be thinking of somewhere different. Pic?

Photo with the cars in the background:

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    Photo with the cars in the background:
    Those aren't the tracks I'm talking about. Those are mine car tracks.

I'm talking about stainless steel colored "tracks", very narrow and very close together, a few inches. Maybe they are for a door or something, but I don't think there's a door right there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-14-2008, 03:37 PM