Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: Tacky Homemade Signs at Riverbelle Terrace! YIKES!

Oh my goodness.. your kidding right?

Wow.. you sure meet a lot of characters on this site lately.. I miss the old micechat times.. they were a lot less... ridiculous..

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I kinda see why the creator of this thread would be upset, it's just the natural fear of a snowball effect of one sign that domino effects another thing and another... etc etc.

It's funny to see a mob go after a single thought when so many threads have been started up, myself included, about something we didn't like with people talking about whatever needed to be talked about regarding the issue brought up.

This thread is snowballing into a big crazy one.. a whole new side to MiceChat.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Quote Originally Posted by SiRocket View Post
    its just the point that you don't see tacky items like this anywhere in the park, they don't use it to temporarily tell you not to smoke in certain areas, etc... you would see this in the cast breakroom or backstage with schedules...etc. We do have better things to complain about, but in reality in plain public view, i hope this is temporary... i guess this is part of the "make riverbelle better refurb with the 2nd story?"... oh wait the whole place should just get cheapened... sad to see such cost saving measures.

If they aren't spending money to keep things in theme that they have worked so hard for.... whats saying that they aren't making cuts on other items we "don't notice or see" like maintenance... etc. big thunder ring a bell a few years back?
    Woah, heh, I think comparing "tacky" (an opinion, which is in all honesty, relative) trash can signs to a lack of maintenance on a major roller coaster that caused a DEATH is a pretty good dose of hyperbole ... slippery slope argument much?

I DO see your point however ... but really ... the point is ... hard to connect at the least. I do not believe that a trash can sign is an "on stage presence" of unseen poor safety measures. In addition, if someone DID die again at Disneyland of poor safety inspections, I doubt the OCRegister article would include a paragraph with the phrase, "...the warning in the decreased spending that led to the death of a man on the Columbia Dock/BTMRR was first evidenced back in November of 2008, when plastic laminated signs made their appearence on trash bins at the River Bell Terrace. If only someone would have blown the whistle."

Now if you want to compare the use of cheap signs to the elimination of chicken fingers, I'm all for that.

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    Now that this thread is rolling, I'd give it a couple of business days before they go away entirely. Such is the power of embarassing pictures on the Internet.
    Don't overestimate your pull. This thread is rolling because the OP keeps coming back and saying "NO REALLY, THIS IS BAD!!" every 5 posts.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by SiRocket View Post
    If they aren't spending money to keep things in theme that they have worked so hard for.... whats saying that they aren't making cuts on other items we "don't notice or see" like maintenance... etc. big thunder ring a bell a few years back?
    BTM rings a very large personal bell. I'd appreciate it if you used a lot more respect in reference to that incident. There is a significant difference between someone loosing their life, and someone not liking a sign. I doubt any CM's, or Guests, were deeply traumatized and in therapy because of a sign on a trash can.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Grim Grinning

I for one am not losing sleep over the sign on the trash can. However, what happened on BTM was horrible, that, I lost sleep over.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post

Wow.. you sure meet a lot of characters on this site lately.. I miss the old micechat times.. they were a lot less... ridiculous..
    There was a time when people did not get made fun of for posting there opinions.

The tacky trashcan signs are just that, is it the biggest problem facing the park? Hardly, but it is more examples of theme declining by degrees. Lots of little things add up, lots of drips from a single leaky faucet will fill a pool. I was at city hall yesterday and someone tried to lodge a complaint and was told to go to the website and send a e-mail. Cast members crowding around and gossiping and using profanity on stage and within earshot of guests. Favorite foods being removed, dollar charges for single condiments, and yes tacky office depot printed sticker labels placed on trash cans. these are just some examples of declining by degrees. Add them all together and you can see just how little things will become more substantial over time.

Oh and just to add a little "what would Walt do" to this thread, after reading many of the books written about Walt , I would venture to say that he would fire at least a good 90% of current cast members and corporate staff at the parks and the studios.
    Last edited by CAspace; 11-15-2008 at 08:28 AM.

• =)

Judging based on the posted photos, they don't look as bad as I expected. Definitely not the biggest fish in my frying pan. I do, however, wish that they hadn't capitalized every single word. It should read:

Please place baskets on top of trash can.

or

Please Place Baskets on Top of Trash Can

I prefer the first. Much more professional. But that's just me.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post

It has gotten a little "over the edge", hasn't it.

At least it's entertaining! In a strange kind of way...

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    It should read:

Please place baskets on top of trash can.

I prefer the first. Much more professional. But that's just me.

Oh yeah, I concur. That's MUCH better!

Now I can sleep at night knowing that someone at Disney will see this thread and make the much needed change to the garbage can signage so when I go to the Park next week I won't have have a terrible time due to being forced to look at those "tacky" signs anymore!

Please...

• C4C6C

I think the problem with this thread was the OP started out with this "OMG" thing that these signs were tacky. They asked us to look at some pictures that did not show anything that bad. If you are going to start a thread to talk about something that shows something "declining" or "tacky", make sure you have good pictures to back this up.

Many times people post things here that say something looks awful or bad and they don't have a picture, or they have a bad picture in this case.

The point is like many have said, is that no one really looks at a trashcan that closely. The pictures do not show anything tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    I think the problem with this thread was the OP started out with this "OMG" thing that these signs were tacky. They asked us to look at some pictures that did not show anything that bad. If you are going to start a thread to talk about something that shows something "declining" or "tacky", make sure you have good pictures to back this up.

Many times people post things here that say something looks awful or bad and they don't have a picture, or they have a bad picture in this case.

The point is like many have said, is that no one really looks at a trashcan that closely. The pictures do not show anything tacky.
    There are many people that look at everything at Disneyland very closely. There are many people that feel that theme and all elements of the park are part of the show, are all set pieces.
    Just because it is not important or a big deal to you or others, does not mean it is not important for someone else, including the original poster.
    Those that disagree with the thread are welcome to skip over it.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Those that disagree with the thread are welcome to skip over it.
    this is a discussion board and things will get discussed. If people do not like reading differing opinions then maybe they should skip over it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    this is a discussion board and things will get discussed. If people do not like reading differing opinions then maybe they should skip over it.
    There is a difference in having a discussion and putting down the original poster of a thread for voicing there opinion and making fun of it. With 14,000 posts under your belt, I know you know this
    P.S. I am not trying to say that you are making fun of the O.P, but I have seen it in this thread by others.
    Last edited by CAspace; 11-15-2008 at 09:07 AM.

• It's all about Theme!

Like I said back there before. Could Disney do better? Sure. Do I really Care? No.

Actually do I ever eat at Riverbelle? No. So Make that I don't care whatsoever.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-14-2008, 11:24 PM