Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Tacky Homemade Signs at Riverbelle Terrace! YIKES!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Like I said back there before. Could Disney do better? Sure. Do I really Care? No.

Actually do I ever eat at Riverbelle? No. So Make that I don't care whatsoever.
    Those signs are also in Tommorowland.

And your attitude about this issue "Do I really Care? No" is exactly the attitude that many in management have these days. For a guest to have that attitude is one thing, its our right. But for a company higher up, it is a problem.

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    Those signs are also in Tommorowland.

And your attitude about this issue "Do I really Care? No" is exactly the attitude that many in management have these days. For a guest to have that attitude is one thing, its our right. But for a company higher up, it is a problem.
    I wrote that in context.

I don't care about this particular spree because I don't go to riverbelle. But Disney could do really better with these "signs". They might just be temporary.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It would be better if the sign was painted on, but at least putting it in a font that matches a western theme would be better than what is on there now. But I think most people are missing the bigger point...

The fact that the trash cans are themed to the land that they are in is a lasting testament to the genious of Walt Disney.

This statement will no doubt generate much lambasting here in this thread. But think about it. Go to Knott's. In everyone of their lands -- from Ghost Town to Camp Snoopy to The Boardwalk to Fiesta Village, and also in the Marketplace -- all of their trash cans are the same. Square, white plastic bins with a red plastic cover. They all have the same "Knott's Berry Farm -- A Cedar Fair Park" logo all on them in the same place.

If they are all "just trash cans" then why doesn't Disney take all of their trash cans backstage, strip them of their detail, and just paint them one uniform color? The trash cans do need to be touched up every now and then, and this costs Disney quite a bit of money. They should therefore take Knott's lead -- it wouldn't be the first time they did that -- and just make them as generic as possible. And maybe they should have the forethought of Knott's and switch them to plastic in order to prevent dents and rust?

These aren't "just trash cans". They are Disneyland trash cans -- the only trash cans in the world that actually contribute to the theme of an area.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It would be better if the sign was painted on, but at least putting it in a font that matches a western theme would be better than what is on there now.
    There is a chance these are temporary and that Disney may do just that. They may have placed these signs on to save a few baskets until the permanent sign is in place. MANY on here have mentioned that. The fact is, we don't know. We don't know if the new theme will be "Office Depot" or if this is just a temporary solution while a permanent one is being manufactured.

The other issue is that the more detailed the sign, the less likely Guests are to notice it. I have seen this happen time and again. People notice big bold letters... but if it is on a trashcan flap they might not even look. One of the MC's even said they placed a basket in the trash while reading the sign. A better solution would be to have a place for baskets, labeled appropriately.

However I see the irony in this situation. Custodial is ripped into when there is trash on top of cans because they are "overflowing" but Disney is encouraging stacking baskets on trashcans. Anyone who has been a CM a while will tell you that stacked crap on trashcans is organic... it grows... 1 drink becomes 5 drinks and bunch of napkins in the blink of an eye. It is one of the laziest phenomenons I have ever seen!

The fact that the trash cans are themed to the land that they are in is a lasting testament to the genius of Walt Disney.

This statement will no doubt generate much lambasting here in this thread. But think about it. Go to Knott's. In everyone of their lands -- from Ghost Town to Camp Snoopy to The Boardwalk to Fiesta Village, and also in the Marketplace -- all of their trash cans are the same. Square, white plastic bins with a red plastic cover. They all have the same "Knott's Berry Farm -- A Cedar Fair Park" logo all on them in the same place.
    As you have established it is the paint job of the trash can, not the can itself that is themed. The color scheme Knott's chose is very obvious, over obvious if you ask me, but there is a method to this madness. Knott's went a simplistic route which makes it easier for their Guests to find the nearest trashcan. By establishing a uniform look they have allowed Guests to find the trashcans without the need to ask every employee they see. Guests can simply toss their trash instead of going on a scavenger hunt to find a themed trashcan.

If they are all "just trash cans" then why doesn't Disney take all of their trash cans backstage, strip them of their detail, and just paint them one uniform color? The trash cans do need to be touched up every now and then, and this costs Disney quite a bit of money. They should therefore take Knott's lead -- it wouldn't be the first time they did that -- and just make them as generic as possible. And maybe they should have the forethought of Knott's and switch them to plastic in order to prevent dents and rust?
    I appreciate Disney's efforts but I see it as a bonus. I expect more from Disney because I paid more to get in. Disney could design a uniform color, place that design in every land, and it would serve the same purpose without being an eyesore. If anything that design may prove to be not only cheaper, but overall better suited to the task at hand. Knott's chose those colors (which I do not agree with) but having a uniform color makes life a lot easier for their Guests. I can't tell you how many times the "themed" can was invisible to the Guest. It looked beautiful, so beautiful that Guests walked right past it complaining about the lack of trashcans in the area.

These aren't "just trash cans". They are Disneyland trash cans -- the only trash cans in the world that actually contribute to the theme of an area.
    These are the only trashcans I know of that have a pin set designed after them. I find it comical, but I am certain if Disney designed a uniform look there would be a public outcry from the diehard fan community. It really boils down to being subtle enough to blend in, but obvious enough to be useful. Disney chose one extreme, Knott's chose the other.

I applaud Disney for their efforts in trying to save the baskets. I realize it is likely profit driven, but regardless of motivation they are at least doing something. They have the recycling program (again potentially profit driven, not sure) and now they are trying to conserve baskets. Perhaps a CM could shed some light on the subject and explain if the signs are permanent or temporary. If they are permanent then we could always start a "Save the Integrity of the Themed Trash Cans" thread... or for Data "Save the integrity of the themed trash cans" thread.
    Last edited by techskip; 11-15-2008 at 10:43 AM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I love how this thread has the "news" stickey attached to it. ("love" here is used in a sarcastic way.)
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• Grim Grinning

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    I love how this thread has the "news" stickey attached to it. ("love" here is used in a sarcastic way.)
    Yeah, must have been a slow news day if signs on trash cans made the news.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    Considering how full of trash the mainstream media, from the networks to the newspapers to local news, is these days, I'd say this passes as the new "news".

• Sock Puppet

^^^^^^^

Hey, for some, signage on trash cans is a news-worthy story!!!

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

I think why the "themed trashcan issue" and the use of these signs has become such a product of discussion is because using "too much theme" on a trash can can render it quite useless (you want people to locate and use the trash can), but rendering a generic trashcan for the whole park would cause many of you, I'm sure, to have heart attacks.

Let's be clear here - trash cans are a utility in the park. Trash cans are the ONLY themed utility in the park. And to write that themed trashcans are a testament of Disney's attention to detail is a little overboard considering no other utility in the park is themed. For example: we don't have themed telephones, themed toilets, themed hand-washing sinks, themed cash registers, and rarely have themed drinking fountains. Yes, the buildings said items are in may be themed, or their area may be hidden from immediate view with themed rockwork (the restrooms in Adventureland).

The point is, that it's a utility, it serves a utilitarian purpose. To go rant on themes of a utility is a little excessive. Just my two cents.

• finally a teacher!

I would like to compliment the initiative of whoever it was who put the signs up. They may look a little out of place, but this person saw a problem and put a solution in place. I have a feeling that if this person had simply told a higher up who told a higher up who told a higher up, it would be quite some time before any sign at all went up and in the meantime people would continue to throw away baskets. I think it shows just as much attention to detail to notice that too many baskets are getting thrown away as it does to notice that the sign is ugly.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-14-2008, 11:24 PM