Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Charmander!

Re: Another Fire Today East of Disneyland

i'm in fullerton too. it's hard to breathe and there is a pile of ash on my driveway... it looks like someone dumped out a barbecue or fire pit all over the cement.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I live about 15 miles southeast of the "Tea" fire. we've had smoke and ash off and on since yesterday morning.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BCC View Post
    I noticed that TSMM and CS were both shut down simultaneously around 11 AM. I had a feeling power was out.
    I've always thought that electrical power was provided through underground lines from a private utility rather than the public grid. Presumably in this case the distribution system would be located within Disney property, and if there were an outage at the plant for some reason, it would probably cause a resort-wide outage.

• "I Break Things"

Well, just adding to the hopeful thoughts, my heart goes out to everyone who is in the path of the fires. We're down in Buena Park and are experiencing the same ash/orange sky as everyone else. It's a bit creepy, since about 10am it's been orange and similar to dawn/dusk. It honestly reminds me of the sandstorms I experienced in the Middle East.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Even if the winds died down to zero, Disney would not offer the Fireworks tonight, due to community sensitivities.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Earlier today in this thread I said the smoke was to the south of me over Long Beach (and as someone else mentioned here who lives in Long Beach). Shortly after that the smoke completely covered us (Lakewood). Very hard to breath outside and ash all over. Our house is not the best sealed place in the world and you can slightly smell the smoke inside, too but fortunately not as bad as outside.

This is a really depressing day seeing all this devastation.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I know we're trying to keep this thread focused on the air quality and lack of fireworks at Disneyland tonight, but I thought I would just show quickly how the Corona/Yorba Linda fire exploded today.

This first shot is the Corona fire this morning just after 10 AM...

About an hour or so later, the winds picked up even more and the smoke mushroomed...

By 2:00 PM, the wind changed a bit, and all of that smoke came billowing over our house...

And the sky got really, really dark...

I'll have more shots up on my micechat blog later. It seemed that every photographer in Orange County was on top of the hill at Bastanchury and State College. Prayers go out to all of those who are in the path of these fires or who have already lost their homes. I have several friends and colleagues who I am very concerned about at the moment.

• Grim Grinning

Yikes! I remember when we had fires going on up here in Sacramento, there were days I couldn't go to school because just walking to my car made me sick. People weren't showing up for work, school, anything. Everyone stayed inside. Cabin fever set in really fast.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    You are right, they are two separate fires. Apparently it has jumped the 91 and into Anaheim Hills. An apartment building has been destroyed as I am typing this right now.

For those of you who do not live in the local area -- Anaheim Hills is in the eastern portion of Anaheim. Anaheim is the largest city in Orange County in area and it is too far from Disneyland to burn anything there. For sure, the smoke is atrocious, but for the flames to reach Disneyland from where it is burning you would be looking at a disaster of epic proportions and this will not happen.

All these structural damages with all of these fires -- it is truly depressing. I feel for all those who have lost homes...

I think Tony Baxter lives in Anaheim Hills. Hope the fire doesn't go anywhere near his house. All the stuff he has there, including the Disneyland Hub olive trees, would be a shame to lose.

• A Weather Eye Open

so sad to hear about all this... first with the fires last october, and then this horrible summer up in nor cal, and now again southern california... it seems like this poor state can hardly catch a break lately.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

This is very unfortunate. Like everyone else that has posted so far, I hope the best for the fire victims.

I'm in the Temecula area and we're not being affected by any smoke but I can see some outside my house (from which fire, I know not.) I have experienced the smoke-covered sky like many of you are right now, a year ago during all those fires. It's a real drag but it's definitely a time to count your blessings.
    Last edited by dl_appurtenant; 11-15-2008 at 05:57 PM.
    ap∑pur∑te∑nant Ė adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

is there any upated info on this fire? my bf lives in placentia and works for pp hotel and I'm getting worried.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by idkmybffminnie View Post
    is there any upated info on this fire? my bf lives in placentia and works for pp hotel and I'm getting worried.
    To the best of my knowledge, Placentia is not (at least yet) threatened...

One website you migt try for info and links is kcal9.com...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Additionally, the latest I heard was that Placentia was being used as an evacuation area - I believe a high school there. They wouldn't be evacuating TO an area that is in danger.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

We're good in Placentia. No worries. Lots of smoke, but the flames are still miles away from us, and the wind has died down.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-16-2008, 01:28 AM