Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Another Fire Today East of Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, Placentia is not (at least yet) threatened...

One website you migt try for info and links is kcal9.com...

Google Maps

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Another fan of kcal9.com, they have some very good maps and kept up to date.

cbs2.com - Fire Watch

(Don't get mislead by the web page name, all the current SoCal fires are listed on the page).
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Another fan of kcal9.com, they have some very good maps and kept up to date.

cbs2.com - Fire Watch

(Don't get mislead by the web page name, all the current SoCal fires are listed on the page).
    OFF TOPIC...As I'm sure you know, KCAL and CBS-2 are owned by the same company - Viacom/CBS - in ths wonderful world of de-reg...Sorry.

Back to the fires topic.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I really hope that these fires are put out soon. I can see the smoke and the red glow of the Corona fire from my house... I was going to go to Disneyland tomorrow but now, I don't really care anymore. I just hope that no more families are affected.

The yorba linda fire is actually an extention of the corona fire. I live a couple miles from where it started near the 91 freeways. Its basically the edge of the city of corona and then spread thru the wildlife corridor into yorba linda.

The brea fire is a seperate one and started in a commercial area. That fire is the one that has jumped the 57 freeway.

If the corona/yorba linda fire continues it will eventually merge with the brea fire.

The wildlife corridor is very dry and runs from laguna beach up to the 81 freeway and then basically splits into two seperate areas. One goes north up chino hills and the other one north west up thru yorba linda and up to the 60 freeway near the edge of city of industry. Once near the 60 freeway both the chino hills wildlife corridor and the yorba linda wildlife corridor merge again and run thru parts of pomona between the 71 freeway and 57 north all the way up to the ten and then 210 freeway.

If the winds shift the fire could be quite devastating and cut thru several major freeways and small but condensed communities built next to the corridor. the corridor basically follows the hill and mountain range in OC,San Bernardino and LA county

We're good in Placentia. No worries. Lots of smoke, but the flames are still miles away from us, and the wind has died down.
    thank you for the info!

• Goofy

i hope everyone stays safe

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I live on a hill in Newport Beach and I can see the flames from the Brea fire. This is about maybe 15 - 20 miles north as the crow flies and there is no smoke here. But I can still see the flames. Very sad and frightening.

Well, I can give a first hand evacuee account for this fire. My parents live in an area of Yorba Linda that is still under mandatory evacuation and we don't know the status of their neighborhood.

My DH, DB & I were all up at their house yesterday to help load up everything & we were evacuated around noon. By the time they evacuated us, the fire was already down in the riverbed below my parents and we had to be diverted to the 91 freeway. As we were driving down the main road to get to the freeway we had flames on the side of us down in the riverbed.

Once the on the 91 we became trapped as the fire hopped the freeway & we were all stuck at various points on the freeway. My mom and I were about 6 cars back from where they stopped everyone & we had flames on boths sides of us at a lot of points in the hour plus we were stuck. The pictures I am posting are from my DH's camera and he was a little farther back from us - the flames up the hill in the shots was basically directly across from where we were stopped. My Dad and DB were the farthest back and were stuck next to a large sound wall - where at points the flames we licking over the top of that wall.

They finally started to turn traffic around to head us the wrong way up the 241 toll road off ramp, only to turn us around to head us back down the other side to the 91 east - where again, the fire was right on the side of us. Due to the 91 now being completely closed, we were forced out to Corona. The only way we had to get back to get back to Orange County was to head down the 15 to the 76 to head over to the 5. (Ortega Hwy had a 30 min wait just to get on to it) We finally got my parents, us and their Golden Retriever back to our condo here in Ladera Ranch around 7pm last night.

My parents are still here with us and right now we have no idea when they will be lifting the evacuation. If you are inclined to do so, please keep my parents and everyone affected by the fires in your prayers.

~Krista

We know a few families who had to be evacuated...very very scary! Those pictures really tell the story...man. Your family will be in our prayers.

• Banned User

To Krista: We will definitely keep your family in our prayers.

My mom lives in Yorba Linda also and had to evacuate around 1 pm yesterday afternoon. As far as I know her place is still standing, they are further down the hill from where the bulk of the flames are. My family and I lived in Yorba Linda up until 5 months ago, and watching our former neighborhood go up in flames is heartbreaking. Our thought and prayers go out to everyone who has been affected by this fire.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I just had a look around this morning and all of the smoke from Anaheim Hills and Yorba Linda appears to be completely gone. No other structures appear to be lost from last night in Yorba Linda thanks to the army of firefighters who seemed to be on every block. Disneylovr - I'm glad you got out safely. It looks like you folks barely got out. The way that fire hopscotched around yesterday, it looks like it really caught everyone off guard.

Right now, flames continue to burn along the foothills of Brea, north of Lambert, and the bulk of the fire has moved towards Diamond Bar. The winds have shifted, and it looks clear and blue over Disneyland this afternoon.

• I Love Disneyland!!

I just wanted to say thank you to Mac Daddy and everyone who is keeping us all informed on the fire situation. Of course we want to make it down to Disneyland but traffic, safety and health concerns come first. I have a friend who's school is supposed to be going down on Wed. for a concert at DL and they are of course all scared they will not be able to go. We tried to go yesterday but by the time we got to Valencia we both had headaches and our sinuses were killing us (from the smoke from the Sylmar fire). They did shut down Magic Mountain yesterday.. not sure if it was fires (smoke) or wind concerns...
    I'm afraid all these kids trying to go down will find that they are going to have asthma attacks and be worse off... :/

Keep the news and pictures coming! I would love to see a picture from todays skys or anytime thru the week. I plan to try it again next weekend!

Thanks again!!!
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

•   

just returned from a weekend at disneyland and knotts. Falling and blowing ash was pretty unbearable saturday at disney. A real mess. Much better today, but was still bad at knotts untill early afternoon. Fantasmic was shown on saturday, but was toned down pyro-wise. Will post the few pics from our stay when i get time. You really needed masks and glasses to be outside at the resorts. Pray for the victims and firefighters.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peoplemover1 View Post
    I just wanted to say thank you to Mac Daddy and everyone who is keeping us all informed on the fire situation. Of course we want to make it down to Disneyland but traffic, safety and health concerns come first. I have a friend who's school is supposed to be going down on Wed. for a concert at DL and they are of course all scared they will not be able to go. We tried to go yesterday but by the time we got to Valencia we both had headaches and our sinuses were killing us (from the smoke from the Sylmar fire). They did shut down Magic Mountain yesterday.. not sure if it was fires (smoke) or wind concerns...
    I'm afraid all these kids trying to go down will find that they are going to have asthma attacks and be worse off... :/

Keep the news and pictures coming! I would love to see a picture from todays skys or anytime thru the week. I plan to try it again next weekend!

Thanks again!!!
    I have a feeling that the smoke will be long gone by Wednesday. I was shocked at how the Anaheim Hills and Yorba Linda areas were completely smoke free by this afternoon. I think they are in the cleaning up stages right now in Diamond Bar, and by tomorrow I think they will see full containment. The wind completely disappeared late this afternoon, and all of that smoke landed in our neighborhood. It might be a bit hazy tomorrow, but Wednesday should have a nice on shore breeze which will send any remaining smoke to somewhere in the Inland Empire.

I'm pretty sure your friend will have nothing to worry about and the temps will be back into the low 80s. Should be a perfect day to go to Disneyland.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-16-2008, 01:28 AM