Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Another Fire Today East of Disneyland

Just a heads up that air quality will probably be suckish today as another fire has started East of Disneyland near Anaheim hills. When I looked about an hour ago, it seemed it had just started, but now it's looking rather scary. The winds are howling around 50-60 right now below that canyon and I think that will cary the smoke over the parks. If you are headed over there this afternoon or tonight, be expecting some smoke.

• Grim Grinning

Re: Another Fire Today East of Disneyland

Yucky! Let's hope it gets put out soon.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Okay....make that two. A new one just broke out above Brea/Yorba Linda.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

It's getting worse. The smoke has drifted as far as Long Beach. It will not be a good day at the Park with the smoke, heat and wind. Very, very sad to see all the houses going up (not to mention all the mobile homes and other structures in Sylmar.)

• Still lost in Neverland

There are four big fires going now in So Cal. It's bad air no matter where you go and these are the worst fires (according to the LA Fire Dept Chief in a newscast just a few minutes ago) in many years. Monticito (Huge), Sylmar (Huge), Yorba Linda (Medium) and Palos Verdes (Small). And the winds are not going to decrease until late this afternoon and some will continue into tomorrow.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• no flash photography...

the Slymar fire has closed down the 14 freeway. I can't even get down the mountain right now unless I go way out the riverside way.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

My thoughts and prayers are for all of you being affected by these fires. If you even think that there is a possibility of your needing to be evacuated get your emergency bags together now so that you can leave as soon as the order is issued.

• I'm wishing

It is pretty yucky today at the Parks. The air is yellow and there is lots of ash coming down. It's also hot and windy....the direction of the wind is bad for Disneyland, I just got home to Irvine (only about 14 miles away) and it's much better air quality here with blue skies.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Thanks Julie Mouse. The Yorba Linda Fire, which I believe is an extension of the Corona fire, completely exploded about an hour ago. It jumped the 91 freeway and has gone into Anaheim Hills. I think the air quality in the parks will be similar to what it was last year about this time. I might get some photos up if I get a chance. I'm assuming tonight is going to be a nasty one in the parks. We're inside with the air conditioner on now as the winds shifted and it's getting very hard to breathe outside.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

echoing what Lisa said - better to be ready to go and get to stay than to be told you have 10 minutes to get your stuff together and have to rush out.

to all of you affected.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Just a heads up that air quality will probably be suckish today as another fire has started East of Disneyland near Anaheim hills. When I looked about an hour ago, it seemed it had just started, but now it's looking rather scary. The winds are howling around 50-60 right now below that canyon and I think that will cary the smoke over the parks. If you are headed over there this afternoon or tonight, be expecting some smoke.
    Okay....make that two. A new one just broke out above Brea/Yorba Linda.
    I think that's the same fire -- It's one big fire, not two separate ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieMouse View Post
    It is pretty yucky today at the Parks. The air is yellow and there is lots of ash coming down. It's also hot and windy....the direction of the wind is bad for Disneyland, I just got home to Irvine (only about 14 miles away) and it's much better air quality here with blue skies.
    Disneyalnd is 10 miles directly west of the fire and where I am at (3 miles from UCI) and where you are at are about 10 miles south. Because the winds are blowing directly west Disneyland is getting the brunt of all the smoke. If the wind shifts we can easily get some of that too. I am not looking forward to that.

By the way, and please don't quote me on this, but I think some homes in Yorba Linda have been severly damaged or lost...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I think that's the same fire -- It's one big fire, not two separate ones.

Disneyalnd is 10 miles directly west of the fire and where I am at (3 miles from UCI) and where you are at are about 10 miles south. Because the winds are blowing directly west Disneyland is getting the brunt of all the smoke. If the wind shifts we can easily get some of that too. I am not looking forward to that.

By the way, and please don't quote me on this, but I think some homes in Yorba Linda have been severly damaged or lost...

No....definitely two different fires. I watched both as they were getting started and the Corona Fire was still about 10 miles away with the wind blowing in a different direction. The Brea fire started up near the dump site and immediately took off towards the 57. Brea High School looked like it was directly in its path. As of now, I'm assuming the Brea fire has jumped the 57, but I can't be sure. The Corona Fire, on the other hand, blew straight into Yorba Linda, and has now jumped over the 91 into the Anaheim Hills.

We're pretty much surrounded by smoke right now in Placentia.

They're losing several homes in Yorba Linda and Anaheim Hills as I type this. On the upside, the winds have died down to 20 - 30 mph gusts and seem to be getting weaker. Hopefully they will be gone by tomorrow.

• Vasooki-land Owner

Thye fire in Brea is about 4 miles from us. There is a firefighter that lives across the street, who is not on duty, and told us not to worry, it wont get here, but I'm not completley sure.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

• Vasooki-land Owner

No....definitely two different fires. I watched both as they were getting started and the Corona Fire was still about 10 miles away with the wind blowing in a different direction. The Brea fire started up near the dump site and immediately took off towards the 57. Brea High School looked like it was directly in its path. As of now, I'm assuming the Brea fire has jumped the 57, but I can't be sure. The Corona Fire, on the other hand, blew straight into Yorba Linda, and has now jumped over the 91 into the Anaheim Hills.

We're pretty much surrounded by smoke right now in Placentia.
    Yup. It jumped the 57. And, I really hope that some people have the mind to get inside. I counted 4 joggers, and 3 soccer games.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

It is being reported as two separate fires. I'm in Washington and finding myself on Google Maps as I read the news updates and this thread to see who is where.

Stay safe!

Two wildfires continue to burn, one in Corona near the 91 Riverside Freeway and Green River and one in Yorba Linda in the Gypsum Canyon area. It is believed that the fire jumped from its start point near Corona and ignited the brush in Yorba Linda, and may in fact have merged into one flank of fire. The fire has consumed over 800 acres, and officials are saying they believe 12 homes have been burned, although some are estimating the total between the two fires to be 16. "Two Corona firefighters were slightly injured when flames engulfed their engine," reports KFWB. Area residents remain under evacuation orders as winds continue to drive the flames through the neighborhood. The 91 Freeway is closed in both directions in the Corona area and there are reports of people stuck on the freeway in total gridlock.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-16-2008, 01:28 AM