Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

The Death of Imagineering

I'm sure you've all heard the news. Drastic layoffs at WDI including key imagineers that have played a very important role in the past years.

Jim Hill reports that WDI will become more of a managering company that will outsource all its jobs and cease to become a creative wing of the Walt Disney Company.

This has me incredibly depressed.

Is this company that has cranked out innovation after innovation finally succumbing to corporate America and the blandness of the Disney suits?

Is this the death of Imagineering?

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Re: The Death of Imagineering

I would say it very well could be. Also, think about the lack imagination in many new attractions..

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

I know what you mean.

I think every single attraction here on out will be movie based.

Think about it, how could it really be any other way?

• The one, the only...

Now little children will not have to wish to grow up to be animators or imagineers, but now they can hope to grow up to be Disney Execs!

(Ha.. I can imagine the dreams of 401k's and golden parachutes now!)
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Small Projects Team

Quote Originally Posted by jepple
    I know what you mean.

I think every single attraction here on out will be movie based.

Think about it, how could it really be any other way?
    Hopefully there is another way. If you think about this site and how many Disney lovers there are here, now think about the percentage of people here who would oppose having all movie-based attractions(must be around 90%). If you think about the average visitor, you'd probably get that same percent opposed to it. Soon enough, Disney Corp will realize that it's a horrible mistake, if not, it'll have some really angry stockholders(including myself).

If they were to make a lilo and stitch ride, there would definently be a rush of kids who have seen the movie. Assuming there aren't any creative imagineers left, the parents will notice the crappiness of the ride and will not be spending $56+Food to come see it again.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jepple
    I'm sure you've all heard the news. Drastic layoffs at WDI including key imagineers that have played a very important role in the past years.

Jim Hill reports that WDI will become more of a managering company that will outsource all its jobs and cease to become a creative wing of the Walt Disney Company.

This has me incredibly depressed.

Is this company that has cranked out innovation after innovation finally succumbing to corporate America and the blandness of the Disney suits?

Is this the death of Imagineering?
    I guess I was right after all these years of saying that the Walt Disney Company is dead.

• The one, the only...

I do have hope. Mistakes can be corrected. Things can change.

No one has really explained why laying off Imagineers is so bad. It is not because they will make movie based attractions. After all, Disney was doing that BEFORE they laid off the Imagineers.

Basically Disney still wants to use these Imagineers, they just want to only hire them when they need them. That is the cost cutting theory. The reason it is a bad idea is these Imagineers are now free to design attractions for other amusement park vendors. It means that potentially Disney's competitors could have parks just like Disney has.

What Disney is betting is that no competitor will try to compete either because they don't care or don't have enough money. They are probably correct right now, but sometimes things change.

I am discussed at the disregard for the talent of these men and women. HR in most companies say their most important resource is their employees. Disney certainly does not seem to believe that after how they have treated their animators and now Imagineers.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Yeah we all know how well Animation's quality faired after they fired everyone..... The same will happen to imagineering. Lets face the facts Disney doesn't want to be the leader in entertainment anymore all they want is money and they will do the min to do it.

• insufferable know-it-all

What will happen is Disney will only be able to hire those imagineers willing to work for unspecified amounts of time - eg: those who can't get a steady gig. Those who are good enough to get steady gigs, most likely will. That is, unless they become "consultants" or open their own companies. Then they'll discover what so many contractors have already learned: Disney makes a habit of ripping off their contractors. It's actually expected in industry that Disney will fail to make the final payment on a project (and naturally that expectation is built into the bid, if you know what I mean). That's why Disney gets charged about 3x the normal rate when they contract stuff out.

Cost cutting indeed...

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Wasn't it Walt who said "As long as there is imagination,...."

This is a dangerous blow to Disney, and it's Eisner and Iger in charge.

and they are declaring war on Imagination. Hiss, Boooo to Iger and Eisner.

• All? NO, ALL!

Is Eisner just trying to cause enough damage to the company before he leaves? To go out with a bang? Either way, I hate what Disney is doing.

WHY MUST EVERYTHING BE ABOUT MONEY?! DISNEY IS WORTH $70 BILLION. Why do they need to cut jobs? They aren't losing money. They shut down Disney Magazine, because even though it was profitable, it was the same profits, and Disney wanted more. WHY WOULD YOU SHUT DOWN A PROFITABLE DIVISION, WHEN YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE LOSING THOSE PROFITS?! Greedy jerks.

Walt was not a money hungry moron like much of Disney's top brass. I'm not sure he would appreciate the LIQUIDATION of Imagineering. That was HIS company. Not just Walt Disney Productions. WED was HIS company, until it became part of Walt Disney Productions in 1965. If only Walt knew the mistake that would happen upon WED not being a separate company anymore.

I've wanted to be an Imagineer since I was ten. Thank you, Eisner, for ruining my future. I hate you and, please let the door KNOCK YOU DOWN on the way out, you sick money-hungry freak. Go work for the Gap, your buddies are waiting for you.

I'm going to create a petition to Disney about this. I don't care if anyone thinks it won't work. It'll help us vent our anger.
    Last edited by Evan; 09-08-2005 at 08:57 PM.

The Jim Hill article was indeed depressing. I, as well as many of you, saw lots of Imagineers in DL on July 17, 2005. If I would have known then what I know now... I would have thanked them for their efforts.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Wondering what Roy has to say about all this?

I'll go check out "savedisney.com"

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    Wondering what Roy has to say about all this?

I'll go check out "savedisney.com"
    Good luck with that one Roy Disney has been paid for his silence.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Let's hope Al never sells out!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast