Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• "I Break Things"

A Presidential Question

This isn't about politics... Al opened the door with his article. Per Al's article the new Lincoln show will feature Washington and Obama. Washington I agree with (actually I think he should start the show since he was the first one in office) but Obama hasn't even taken office yet. Is it really wise for Disney to place a modern President, especially one currently in office (will be when the show begins to run), in a currently running show? Would this be similar to Saturday Night Live, with a different presidential "host" every 4 years as someone new potentially takes office? Or would this be a static display of Obama? I strongly believe that the show should include multiple Presidents, possibly using the Mt Rushmore model. I would love a show that takes us through the history of our nation and the leaders that lead us through it. We have many dynamic characters that have sat in office. I am curious what others think.

Again I stress this is not political. No politics of this will be moved to Debate Lounge. Al opened the door, and speaking from a historical perspective, I am wondering what people think.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: A Presidential Question

I agree. I think it would be an amazing show to move into. Placing one person in a show when we do not know how their 4 years in office will turn out is a little to early for me. I think it would be much wiser (and would make a better show) if they followed a storyline of remembering our nations presidents and hero's. It would come back to a patriotic show (lincoln) and I think would do really well, but of course that is just my opinion.

• Cake Anyone?

I agree with Tech and Dark on this.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

I kinda like the idea...He (Obama) is quickly becoming a historical figure in his own time. If the show is done in a tactful and respectable manner, I think it would be great.
    Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

• Banned User

"President-elect Obama's animatronic would say a few well-scripted words, and the show would end with the requisite stirring music and gushing patriotic pride."

It doesn't sound like "Obama" would steal the show or anything, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. It'll still be "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln," not "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln guest starring our 44th President Barack Obama."

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

With all due respect to Al, I don't think this project, in this incarnation, will ultimately see audiences.

• I'm not really here

From what Al described, I think the President-Elect Obama AA would play a very minor role in the show. It seems that the bulk of the "weight" is on Lincoln and Washington with Obama given a few lines of a patriotic nature, but with a current face that people definitely know.

I know that relevance is an oft hated buzz-word around here, but I think it is appropriate here. Lincoln and Washington often seem very outdated and irrelevant to people today. Adding in the current President, even if briefly, ties the political history, embodied by Washington and Lincoln, to the political present. Their words certainly still have meaning and importance today, it's just an image/mental problem people have with them. If all 3 of them are scripted to speak on a similar topic or theme it will really drive home the importance of patriotism and such. It will show how the same things we worry about today were worried about and cared about hundreds of years ago. It will, I think, succeed in getting people to pay more attention to our political history in order to better choose our political future.

This hinges, though, on the Obama AA having a minor role as he has no Presidential legacy yet.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I understand what you're saying about him not having 'a lot' to do with the show but I just don't think it is a good idea. Yes, Obama became a historic figure at the moment when he was elected and in time, I think it would be amazing to have him included. I am just saying that we don't even know what's going to happen the next four years... I would stick with a show following/ showing historical moments in our nations history and as TECH said, follow a model like Mt. Rushmore or something. Following that would create plenty of material to make a wonderful show for our enjoyment. Also, Putting Obama in a show so quickly after being elected could be seen as distastful in the idea of, what would the people think that voted for McCain. It might set off some un-needed frustrations. IDK.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'd use a famous saying in this instance. "Never name a street or a building after someone who is still alive." That a lot of money to invest in someone who could just as easily be viewed as a poor leader.

Not political, just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'd use a famous saying in this instance. "Never name a street or a building after someone who is still alive." That a lot of money to invest in someone who could just as easily be viewed as a poor leader.

Agreed... With no bad taste meant... Leave it to the people who aren't alive and can not activley change our opinions about them.

• Circle of Ancients

Even if Obama isn't a great president, he's still the first African-American president, and already that's historical and something that will always be talked about.

Even before his first day in office he will already be mentioned with the names Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, etc.

I think it's fine.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Even if Obama isn't a great president, he's still the first African-American president, and already that's historical and something that will always be talked about.

Even before his first day in office he will already be mentioned with the names Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, etc.

I think it's fine.

While, I don't necessarily agree with that being high up on the importance ladder as it seems to be, I think that in itself could be a good or inspiring message to people and especially young ones. That whole, you-can-be-whatever-you-want-regardless-of-race thing.

• Special Agent

Personally I think is a good example of why Tony Baxter has completely lost touch with his audience. He is more concerned about saving the Lincoln Show at any cost, that he is willing to sacrifice the integrity of that show by adding a gimmick.

This isn't to say anything about the politics or history of Obama - but simply stating that, love him or hate him, people will be talking about his representation in a Disney park. His almost cult like popularity lends itself quite well to playing the draw for a new attraction just as Nemo was the hook to get the subs back.

If the Lincoln concept is seen as being so far beyond saving that they need to bring in celebrity guests stars to make cameos, than the clear solution that the old lackeys at WDI can't see is that it's time to retire the show and go with something else. Lincoln was, many years ago, a great AA show and a stirring patriotic presentation - it was cheapened in 2001 by those stupid headphones, and while I understand the value of Obama and respect him greatly, I think it will be cheapened even more by his presence.

And from a technical viewpoint - I don't see how making the theater smaller and adding more AA's makes the presentation any cheaper to operate. The seats don't cost money, the robots do.

I seriously hope that Al is just making this up or was fed some bad info, because this has to be one of the worst ideas I have heard come out of WDI in a long long time.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post

Considering how fickle the opinion of the public is I think this is very sage advice. Many have entered office to rousing applause and hope, only to leave office hearing howling complaints about their performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark in the Tuna View Post
    Agreed... With no bad taste meant... Leave it to the people who aren't alive and can not actively change our opinions about them.
    Actually not entirely true. New evidence is always surfacing that brings unknown secrets into the light. Those secrets may or may not affect the opinion of individuals "after the fact". Eisenhower is a great example of someone many viewed as "asleep at the wheel"... years later it has come to light that he is directly responsible for the spy satellite program used by everyone including Regan to end the Cold War. Eisenhower never said a word, and due to the classified nature of the program couldn't "defend himself" to the public. His record speaks for him long after his body has been in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

I think it's fine.
    Roosevelt (assuming you mean FDR)... longest serving President, possibly most controversial President in office, was in office during what many consider "the best and worst of our Nation's moments" and leader of what many call "The Greatest Generation" also first president in a wheelchair and the standard to which the first 100 days of any president is measured... no mention

Kennedy... youngest elected President, first Catholic President, lead us through the Cuban Missile Crisis, assassinated while in office. Most popular gravesite and considered to be one of if not the most popular President since Washington himself... no mention

Obama... just elected, soon to enter office... in the show!

I can go down the list if you like, I know at least a little about most Presidents, and quite a bit about others. Rushmore would be an excellent start if they wanted a show that was Patriotic and not just "relevant". As I said this isn't about politics, it's about hitting fast forward on the history of the Presidency and going from 1 to 16 to 44... see kids who needs history and school now that everything is "relevant"!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Fastest Man Alive

It sounds like he'll be a minor addition and say a few scripted words, but that the show will mostly feature Washington and Lincoln. Is this really THAT much different from WDW's Hall of Presidents? And in 4 or 8 years when we get a new president, Disneyland can have a copy of the newest President that WDW installs in their hall. I seriously doubt Obama would be a permanent fixture, whether that is currently right now or not.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast