• Now 40% less bitter!

DVD Walk-through vs. real walk-through

So I couldn't stand it and I went on Youtube and found a virtual walk-through of the Sleeping Beauty Castle. I think it was from the DVD, but I couldn't find any other copies of it on Youtube.
    I didn't purchase the new "Sleeping Beauty" DVD because it feels as though I just bought the last one. Besides, this one has like, what, two new bonus features that the last one doesn't?
    Anyway, not my point. While I was watching the walkthrough, I noticed a distinct difference in the storyline compared to the previous walk-through. There was a very real lack of a love story in the Youtube clip. It went from the parents burning the spinning wheels to Aurora laying on the floor. Also, there was no dragon.
    This wasn't real, right? Or at least, the real castle walk-through will have more of the love story between Philip and Aurora and the dragon, right?
    ... Right?
    Because I'll be bummed if they're not in it.

EDIT: The link is here YouTube - Sleeping Beauty Castle Virtual Walk Thru
    Last edited by AliKzam; 11-18-2008 at 11:59 PM.
    Oo-de-lally!

• Far too curious

Re: DVD Walk-through vs. real walk-through

That was the original walk-through, which was opened about 3 years before the movie premiered. They are redoing the attraction in this style but following the storyline of the movie, so no need to fear.

It's better to watch the virtual walk-through with the commentary on, so you get a better understanding of why it is like that.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I would like to see it.

• Now 40% less bitter!

Thank you, SkeletonStockings, that's a relief. On my DVD (which I guess must be seven years old - wow) has a walkthrough, but the pictures are all static. They were pretty, though; kind of art deco-looking.
    I edited my first post to add the youtube link, if you'd like to see what I saw.
    Oo-de-lally!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^just so you know the video was taken down. Disney is always watching.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    What the heck are you talking about? It still works for me.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: DVD Walk-through vs. real walk-through

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    The link given just worked fine.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Quote Originally Posted by AliKzam View Post
    I didn't purchase the new "Sleeping Beauty" DVD because it feels as though I just bought the last one. Besides, this one has like, what, two new bonus features that the last one doesn't?
    I actually didn't purchase the first DVD because I was waiting for the Blu-ray edition to come out. Disney always says "Better buy it now! It's going into the Vault and you'll never see it again in your lifetime, we're telling you!" but I got tired of buying multiple editions of everything.

Anyway, not my point. While I was watching the walkthrough, I noticed a distinct difference in the storyline compared to the previous walk-through. There was a very real lack of a love story in the Youtube clip. It went from the parents burning the spinning wheels to Aurora laying on the floor. Also, there was no dragon.
    This wasn't real, right?
    Disney does tend to focus on the scary aspects of stories more often than not when it comes to theme park attractions, don't they? This is just a simulation that captures one design iteration, and I've heard that some changes and additions have been made, including the dragon, although there's only one way to know for sure. The fact that the work is being rushed doesn't help, however.

Or at least, the real castle walk-through will have more of the love story between Philip and Aurora and the dragon, right?
    Hey-o! Threesome!

... Right?
    Because I'll be bummed if they're not in it.
    My understanding is that the new walk-through is not going to be identical to the original, only similar to it in style, so hopefully it will be a bit more balanced of a presentation. We'll all know for sure as soon as the first of us gets to see it.

• Banned User

Thanks for the link, I didn't buy the latest DVD.

• Now 40% less bitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    Hey-o! Threesome!
    Oh, my goodness! I hadn't even caught my grammatical error!
    Oo-de-lally!

I own both DVD releases of Sleeping Beauty. There is a lot of bonus material on the 2008 release that was not on the 2003 release. Even the movie itself is different since they restored the original aspect ratio from 1959.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    What the heck are you talking about? It still works for me.
    Yeah it is..sorry yesterday it kept saying "Video could not be found"

Keep in mind that the original walk-through was built long before the movie was ever completed. The imagineers were playing with concepts, and really concentrating more on dramatic effect than a strict storyline. This made for one pretty interesting attraction, and I don't think most of us kids minded how little relation it had to the actual movie when it came out.

When the walk-through was redone in the 70s with doll figures, it followed the storyline more accurately.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed by the DVD recreation of the old attraction. I recall it being so much brighter, so much more impressive! Some of the scenes don't look quite right to me, but I guess age can play tricks on your memory.

• Now 40% less bitter!

It would just seem to me that the dragon would be a given, since so many people know it at least from Fantasmic! The dungeon peep-hole thing (from the You-tube clip) was an interesting idea, though I would wonder how well tiny kids looking in would fare seeing monsters on the other side. It would seem to me at least one peep-hole should show the Three Good Fairies setting Prince Phillip free. I guess I feel the attraction should have a coherent storyline, especially if the first thing you see when you walk in is a storybook. Also, the song "Once Upon a Dream" is probably the most well-known song from the film that it seems to me the attraction should at least touch on the young couple meeting and falling in love.
    Well, it is just a matter of weeks now before the attraction opens. For anyone reading this thread: if you go to DL when the castle reopens and you take pictures for your own TR, would you please post the link here? Just in case we don't see it on the boards, first. A friend and I have postponed our trip until the AP monthly-installment program rolls out, so I'm not sure when I'll be going yet.
    Oo-de-lally!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-21-2008, 02:15 PM