Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: LA Times: Imagineering says report of Obama in Lincoln show is "patently false"

I agree with that too. No offense to Brady, but Al's story only came out yesterday and obviously he didn't have time to do the proper investigation.

I have a feeling that there's probably some truth to both sides. Probably the idea of using Obama has been thrown out there, but from WDI's perspective no final decisions have been made, so they don't want possible ideas being spread around as being what is going to happen.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: LA Times: Imagineering says report of Obama in Lincoln show is "patently false"

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Let me also say this.

Things were WAY different years ago when a journalist had time to actually check facts and confirm sources before a paper went to print. No offense intended, but Brady MacDonald comes off more as a blogger than an actual journalist. If this were done as an actual article running in the LA Times - there's no way that they would have printed it without imput from WDI, and if WDI denied the rumors, there's a good chance that NONE of this would have been printed at all.

The internet makes it all different.

Brady certainly has time to go back and fix his article, but there are a lot of errors that make it come off as unprofessional. For one thing, why didn't he quote a name for his "WDI Official" when he received his "official response" from WDI? Why didn't he contact Disneyland or any of the other internet columnists to confirm if they had even heard the rumor?

Just parroting what Al Lutz posted, and then coming around and saying some dude from WDI told him Al was wrong just doesn't seem like journalism to me.
    I agree journalism has changed, but I wouldn't discredit Brady's reporting.

First off, the "article" in the OP was a blog post, and if you followed the link, it wouldn't be parading as anything but that. Brady is in charge of the LA Times "Funland blog," which reports on the latest news and info on So Cal theme parks... The Funland blog is part of the greater LA Times "Daily Travel & Deal Blog."

Still, the media's embracing of the internet and blogging shouldn't always serve as a discredit to reporters -- it appears that Brady DID speak with Imagineering -- twice.

The first time he got a generic response from them...
    Walt Disney Imagineering officials said that while discussions have been ongoing to bring back “Mr. Lincoln” at Disneyland, no such plans are currently in the works.
    And then the second time (I'm assuming he called around some more) .... he got some more info, including the direct response to Al Lutz's column.
    UPDATE: Walt Disney Imagineering officials now emphatically say a Barack Obama animatronic figure will NOT be added to the “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln” show at Disneyland, calling the Al Lutz story “patently false.”

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I agree with that too. No offense to Brady, but Al's story only came out yesterday and obviously he didn't have time to do the proper investigation.

I have a feeling that there's probably some truth to both sides. Probably the idea of using Obama has been thrown out there, but from WDI's perspective no final decisions have been made, so they don't want possible ideas being spread around as being what is going to happen.
    Proper investigation? Come on, Imagineering isn't going to release anything they don't want to release to traditional media outlets, especially the Los Angeles Times. I think Brady probably did as much as he could with Disney, considering the big-name media outlet he's attached to.

| | |

• The one, the only...

Sadly, if WDI felt undermined in their "secret" project to bring Lincoln back with his friends, then they might deny it. If they are not bringing Lincoln back and have no plans to restore him to the park. SHAME ON THEM! I see this as a lose lose situation for WDI. If there is no one who is smart in PR, this is really a poorly crafted response to Al's article.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Proper investigation? Come on, Imagineering isn't going to release anything they don't want to release to traditional media outlets, especially the Los Angeles Times. I think Brady probably did as much as he could with Disney, considering the big-name media outlet he's attached to.
    Well if Disney won't say anything more, then he just probably shouldn't have run the story. That's supposed to be the difference between blogs and the traditional media. I guess there is no difference anymore.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Also WDI said they was not going to put the new President in Hall of Presidents

Yes New PR for WDI
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

It would not be a smart move to put any current president in any attraction at any theme park. George Bush was obviously mega popular when he won presidency two times in a row, and look how fast we turned on him? Sure you can say everyone loves Obama now but as with Bush, you never know.

• HauntedOne999

As an Ex-Opera House CM, here are my 2 cents....

The entire time I was at the Opera House I kept on getting news of different things happening. We knew back in 2005 about the Carthay "Walt Disney Story" idea, but that now has been cancelled... And I was even told that they were thinking about putting back in the Naturist Film back into the lobby with the Y Zol Owl Figure. The thought about making the theater smaller does make sense but why would they have just upgraded the carpets in the theater... seems like a waste of money...granted the theater needed it... I always hated looking at the gum stains and rips. As for Lincoln, he is sqauted over in a box on the stage behind the screen. Lincoln seems to be the red headed step child of fiscal year money... Lasseter was one of the reasons Abe isnt back... the Subs took the money needed to get the show back up. Also I highly doubt that WDI would put as much money would be needed to make all the remodeling changes:

DL Fire would have to be relocated, opereator offices would have to be relocated, half the theater would need to be remodeled (either stage extened out or back wall brought in), a complete remodel of the projection room, removal of one of the Walt's office display to make use of the bank space for the gallery, remodel of the back of the lobby area for the stairs that would be needed to access the 2nd floor also due to the times and elevator would have to be added to be handicap accessable.

I highly doubt that all details from Al's post will come to fruition, but Lincoln needs to return (in some form) I really would like to see other presidents added, but mostly Teddi Roosevelt he had many amazing speeches about nationalism, patriotism, conservation, etc. he would definatly be a great addition.... or even Mark Twain but men were big figures in the 1890-1910 time period and helped change some ways of thinking.

Disney seems to be taking away AA figure shows all over the place... I feel WDI needs to bring back more use of this technology as a center piece of attractions. Disney Parks would not be what they are today if not for the advent of AA figures.

and on another point... Walt Disney wanted each park to be different otherwise why would you need to go to a different park? The only time the same show was on both coasts was before the closing of the World's fair in new york.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• HauntedOne999

one more thing... it is not definate that Obama will speak in HOP... only if Obama agrees to record will it be greenlighted...granted the suggestion will be made to Obama so who it to say if he will do it.

• "I Break Things"

I think it's funny how you desperately want to prove that Al was right, when all the evidence shows, that the person who actually worked at WDI, may actually have more knowledge on the project than the guy posting to the internet.

Marty said the Rainforest wasn't being removed and he said that the changes were not being made to marginalize the mary blair style. Both those are completely true.

Besides the ride hasn't even opened yet and you're already absolutely sure that Al is right, and the people working on the project have no clue what's going on.
    I think it is funny how you are so quick to prove Al wrong and take WDI's side. Also... if the rainforest wasn't removed then how did it magically move from the previous scene to it's current location? If I am obeying the laws of physics, and it isn't a copy, then it had to be initially removed. In short it was removed, downsized, and re-installed in an alternate location. It was put back in... but to do that it had to be removed first! Marty also said there would be no USA tribute... care to guess what is going in the old rainforest scene... I'll give you a hint it is a large country with 3 initials starting with a U.

I'm not a cheerleader... but Al's been pretty on target recently!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

While I agree with you Tech, I also think your removed arguement is a little weak. I mean they probably removed many pieces so they could be fixed and then put them back in. The act of removing them as part of the refurb has nothing to do with with removing them permanently, other than the fact that something was removed in general.
    -Walt Disney

• HauntedOne999

On the subject of Small World many people seem to think that Mary Blair had everything to do with the attraction... granted she set the tone... but it was the work of all of WDI. Also the ride went thru many changes from New York to DL. At the World's Fair there were no dividers between the countries. I mean personally I dislike the Idea of a USA tribute but if done tastfully it might not be that bad... but USA in USA is like people from Japan spending all day in the Japan showcase at Epcot. It just seems very redundant. I think that if they are going to do a america tribute they should do US holidays in the scene ... make it where a few of the characters can be redressed... fourth of july, thanksgiving, presidents day

• When Will It Return?

And LincolnGate is on...

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Member of Baxter's Army

Then you have to go and ask why someone is trying to smoke out the moles feeding Al bad info
    We'll smoke em' out.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    We'll smoke em' out.
    Wrong President, we're talking Lincoln and Obama here

| | |

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-20-2008, 12:07 AM