Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: LA Times: Imagineering says report of Obama in Lincoln show is "patently false"

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, but after having to think about Obama AA, I must agree that this is not the right decision. WDW has lots of attractions with "celebrity" status ala Universe of Energy's Ellen DeFeneres, Bill Nye, Alex Trebek, Jamie Lee Curtis and Martin Short, etc in the O'Canada 360 film. It might have been a Jim Hill article that discussed how attractions based with celebrities may find themselves in an odd position when and if bad publicity occurs to them. It would be hard to remove their trace from the attraction.

Capt EO is long gone, Paul Reubens provides Capt Rex's voice in Star Tours, and ExtraTerrorestrial Alien Encounter's Tyra Banks, Tim Curry, Jeffrey Jones, etc are for the most part covered in makeup. Then again there's Patrick Warburton in Soarin that seems to be doing fine. Although the DCA version may get a facelift. Robin Williams was in the film about animation. Rod Serling's image and imitated voice is produced for TOT based on an old TV series. Aerosmith stars in Rock n Roller Coaster, but they may be leaving the attraction.

So I guess my point is, it's better to leave current celebrities out of attractions so the attractions themselves may be more timeless. And not have everyone immediately think of the now instead of escaping the real world.
    I don't think Barack Obama is planned to reside on the show permanently. If the new show gets approved, my understanding is that it will be a condensed version of the Hall of Presidents, and President Obama will be replaced with the next President in 4 (or 8) years.

I like the idea, but I wonder about the implications of a present-day political figure on turn-of-the-century Main Street, U.S.A. I suppose, however, that Lincoln who died in 1865 is at least 35 years before Main Street's temporal setting, so I suppose thematic appropriateness for the show has never been of much concern.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: LA Times: Imagineering says report of Obama in Lincoln show is "patently false"

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, but after having to think about Obama AA, I must agree that this is not the right decision. WDW has lots of attractions with "celebrity" status ala Universe of Energy's Ellen DeFeneres, Bill Nye, Alex Trebek, Jamie Lee Curtis and Martin Short, etc in the O'Canada 360 film. It might have been a Jim Hill article that discussed how attractions based with celebrities may find themselves in an odd position when and if bad publicity occurs to them. It would be hard to remove their trace from the attraction.

Capt EO is long gone, Paul Reubens provides Capt Rex's voice in Star Tours, and ExtraTerrorestrial Alien Encounter's Tyra Banks, Tim Curry, Jeffrey Jones, etc are for the most part covered in makeup. Then again there's Patrick Warburton in Soarin that seems to be doing fine. Although the DCA version may get a facelift. Robin Williams was in the film about animation. Rod Serling's image and imitated voice is produced for TOT based on an old TV series. Aerosmith stars in Rock n Roller Coaster, but they may be leaving the attraction.

So I guess my point is, it's better to leave current celebrities out of attractions so the attractions themselves may be more timeless. And not have everyone immediately think of the now instead of escaping the real world.
    There is a difference between celebraty and President of the United States.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    There is a difference between celebraty and President of the United States.
    Some people keep saying he has a "celebrity" status.

I don't mind the "time shifts" between Lincoln, Main Street, Washington, & Obama. There would be some sort of storyline to tie them together anyways, I assume. Then again, you could argue the Lincoln figure compliments the Disneyland displays in the lobby. Someone mentioned awhile ago what if they put Lincoln in Frontierland instead...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Member of Baxter's Army

Those people worked for Mccains campaign.

• "I Break Things"

I was thinking about this thread last night when my friends and I decided to pass up a 1hr plus Small World line for a 20min max Nemo one. I call it the "Gimmick Effect" and the proposed President show would fall into this category.

Mr. Liver has used wait times as indication of an attraction's popularity. However this method is inaccurate for a variety of reasons. If an attraction has a prolonged downtime, then as a general rule it will experience a "rush" in attendance when it comes back up. Usually the longer the downtime, the larger, and longer, the return rush (Tiki experienced such a rush after a 9 month refurb). If an attraction is modified or "plussed" then there is a usually an opening rush to determine what changes have been made. This rush usually subsides within months, possibly up to a year, after the reopening (Jungle, TSI, and Pirates all had initial rushes which have lessened over time). Lastly if an attraction has a specific overlay or specific seasonal appeal then it will generally experience a rush with the opening of that overlay or season (Haunted Mansion prior to and now after HMH). Small World is currently displaying a massive crowd because it fits within all three categories. It was down for a prolonged period of time, it has been modified, and it's current open version is seasonal.

Now to the "gimmick effect". People basically run from gimmick to gimmick in hopes of seeing the "great new thing". Nemo opened to a 75 minute wait time. Everyone wanted to see the new effects in the Subs. Small World opens and Nemo drops to below 20 minutes. It could be argued that Nemo is still more popular then the previous Subs... but the previous Subs maintained a long line for a prolonged period of time even with the consistent openings of other attractions. When Tarzan initially opened it had an almost 2hr wait daily... now... there are times you can walk the entire thing and not see anyone. You can argue if it was Tarzan or Swiss that was the better tree house, One stood for a long time, the other stands now... both have stood empty for quite a while. Pirates has seen several changes. There was a rush when they changed the chasing pirates, and another one years later when they added in Jack. Pirates now, is the same wait it was before... which means that those additions (or subtractions if you prefer) have balanced out. In some cases the lack of line would lead people to believe they have had a negative effect... otherwise people would continue to return. The difference I see is that some attractions rely on the story while others rely on a modern popular character (gimmick) and the popularity of that attraction is then subject to the popularity of that gimmick.

Returning is the key to the Presidential show. Disney's "hope" would be that a crowd would rush in initially to see the Washington AA and President Obama. Then they would hope crowds would return in a renewed rush every 4 or 8 years to see the new AA. Lincoln may have the name, but he would take a back seat to the "next great thing".

Today on CNN I read a lot of articles from "unnamed sources within..." so I am confident in saying it is a known practice. Without a name the source is easily cast into doubt, and for that reason any rumor must be taken with a grain of salt. If the same story continually resurfaces from sources who do not know each other then it deserves a closer look. I know Al checks his stories multiple times. I also know Disney doesn't have a great track record of admitting, or doing, what they say they are doing. In honesty, I think several sent this concept to Al to kill it before the project got legs, and I applaud their efforts. I may not always attend the Lincoln show, but I would be more inclined to see it without a current Presidential AA. I prefer to experience things that I otherwise would be incapable of doing. I can flip channels at home and when the current President gives a speech he's usually on almost every one!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Pilot EdForceOne

Well I think its obvious that the DL audience responds to your 'gimmick' tag... which is why probably Disney keeps doing it.

The problem is it's a sugar high.. one that fades within a year.

People keep arguing DL is different.. and because of the local base Disney must keep changing to keep the audience happy... well they do that and you call it a gimmick.

Sounds to me its what the DL audience wants. The only difference is if 'fans' like it or not... see Holiday overlays.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Well I think its obvious that the DL audience responds to your 'gimmick' tag... which is why probably Disney keeps doing it.

The problem is it's a sugar high.. one that fades within a year.

People keep arguing DL is different.. and because of the local base Disney must keep changing to keep the audience happy... well they do that and you call it a gimmick.

Sounds to me its what the DL audience wants. The only difference is if 'fans' like it or not... see Holiday overlays.
    Everything needs a gimmick right... so Star Tours was upgraded in? Indy was last upgraded? Jungle's last major upgrade prior to 05 was? POC's last major upgrade prior to Jack was? Thunder's last major upgrade was? The last upgrade to Space prior to this recent one was? Not everything needs an upgrade, and it definately doesn't need a gimmick. People appreciate attractions that are themed, and well thought out. Disney appreciates short term turnstyle clicks, and pushes the numbers by tossing in crap to get people to rush back. It has one lasting effect; people rush in, see the changes, and don't always come back. A repeat base is not built, and then Disney is back to square one.

I never said they need to keep changing year after year. Well planned, well executed changes will keep people coming back for a whole lot longer. HM's portrait gallery and attic scene look amazing (not a fan of the new bride but to each their own). Thunder has had no major cosmetic upgrades. I would welcome a return of the barn doors, and an update to the existing AA's. But I wouldn't want Woody to be tossed in there every couple feet even if he is a cowboy! Star Tours could use a lot of love, but even in it's current condition it is pretty popular. Refreshing the movie and upgrading the sound would do wonders. It doesn't need Wall-E driving it to keep people there. Pirates received the very "plus" that IASW is getting... they put in Captain Jack, and look how long the lines lasted. They made other major upgrades as well, but people noticed Jack, and to many that annoyance hindered their ability to repeat the attraction. It became a "Where's Jack" to some and to others that ruined the experience.
    Last edited by techskip; 11-23-2008 at 08:38 AM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Those people worked for Mccains campaign.
    I think that both Barack Obama and Sarah Palin obviously have celebrity status.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Disney appreciates short term turnstyle clicks, and pushes the numbers by tossing in crap to get people to rush back. It has one lasting effect; people rush in, see the changes, and don't always come back. A repeat base is not built, and then Disney is back to square one.
    A revolving-door clientele is perfect for TDA's revolving-door management team, who forget that if the Disneyland management of the 50's, 60's and 70's had just grabbed for gimmicks and short term profits and notches on their resumes, today's TDAers wouldn't have a job.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Star Tours could use a lot of love, but even in it's current condition it is pretty popular. Refreshing the movie and upgrading the sound would do wonders. It doesn't need Wall-E driving it to keep people there. Pirates received the very "plus" that IASW is getting... they put in Captain Jack, and look how long the lines lasted. They made other major upgrades as well, but people noticed Jack, and to many that annoyance hindered their ability to repeat the attraction. It became a "Where's Jack" to some and to others that ruined the experience.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-20-2008, 12:07 AM