Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

LA Times: Imagineering says report of Obama in Lincoln show is "patently false"

Brady MacDonald at the LA Times is reporting that Imagineering is already denying Al Lutz's latest info that an Audio-Animatronics Barack Obama will join President Lincoln in a revamped "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" show:

Barack Obama is going to Disney World — and maybe Disneyland too
    President-elect Barack Obama will soon take his place among the 43 previous commanders-in-chief at Walt Disney World and may join Abraham Lincoln and George Washington at Disneyland. (Story updated below.)

Disney hopes to entice Obama to record an address for his animatronic likeness, which will be added to the Hall of Presidents show at the Magic Kingdom by the Fourth of July 2009. Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush lent their voices to their Disney doppelgangers.

The revamped show in Florida will include speaking parts by Washington, Lincoln and Obama, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Mice Age columnist Al Lutz reports that Obama and Washington may join Lincoln at the Disneyland Opera House in time for the Anaheim theme park’s 55th anniversary in 2010.

Disneyland’s “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln” closed in 2005 to make way for the 50th anniversary movie, “Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years.”

Walt Disney Imagineering officials said that while discussions have been ongoing to bring back “Mr. Lincoln” at Disneyland, no such plans are currently in the works.

UPDATE: Walt Disney Imagineering officials now emphatically say a Barack Obama animatronic figure will NOT be added to the “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln” show at Disneyland, calling the Al Lutz story “patently false.”

Interesting that Imagineering is already going into damage control on this. Remember this is the same Imagineering that refuted Al's news of Disney characters and the removal of the rainforest in "it's a small world" and then owned up to it and then partially denied it again, and then kind of owned up to it again.

If this story has legs, it'll be interesting to see what Imagineering says about this in follow-up stories and interviews.

Still, to be fair, Al hasn't always been right.

It'll be interesting to see who turns out being right...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

Re: LA Times: Imagineering says report of Obama in Lincoln show is "patently false"

We'll see. Imagineering also said that Al was wrong on the DCA makeover and it's a small world. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    -Monorail Man

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: LA Times: Imagineering says report of Obama in Lincoln show is "patently false"

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    We'll see. Imagineering also said that Al was wrong on the DCA makeover and it's a small world. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    Agreed. Didn't they also deny Pirate's Lair for a while, too?

| | |

• I'm not really here

I sometimes wonder why they say anything at all. If they just kept quiet about things and said nothing at all, they would remain mere rumors and nothing more. By denying things so strongly, they lend a credence to them that a simple "these things are just rumors" would.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Agreed. Didn't they also deny Pirate's Lair for a while, too?
    Totally forgot about that. You're right, they did deny it.
    -Monorail Man

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Interesting that Imagineering is already going into damage control on this.
    It doesn't seem like damage control at all. It seems like the guy who writes a blog for the LA Times just called up Imagineering and they said "no it's not happening."

How is that damage control?

Remember this is the same Imagineering that refuted Al's news of Disney characters and the removal of the rainforest in "it's a small world" and then owned up to it and then partially denied it again, and then kind of owned up to it again.
    I don't remember all that. The only thing I do clearly remember is the Marty Sklar letter where he admitted that characters were being added, and then said the Rainforest was not being removed - both of which were true.

If Imagineering says it's not happening, I'd guess that it is not happening. Then you have to go and ask why someone is trying to smoke out the moles feeding Al bad info - or at the very least trying to force Tony to retire by planting these ridiculous stories about him.

• Senior Minion

Wow, Liver you go from a logical point to crazy conspiracy theories about Al and Tony Baxter pretty fast there.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    It doesn't seem like damage control at all. It seems like the guy who writes a blog for the LA Times just called up Imagineering and they said "no it's not happening."

Did he call them or was this unprompted? Who made contact? Because that can sometimes indicate potential deniability.

I don't remember all that. The only thing I do clearly remember is the Marty Sklar letter where he admitted that characters were being added, and then said the Rainforest was not being removed - both of which were true.
    He said the Rainforest was not being removed and USA was not being added. Rainforest was removed, downsized, then reinstalled in an alternate location. USA was installed in Rainforest's place... I'd say Marty was wrong on that one!

If Imagineering says it's not happening, I'd guess that it is not happening. Then you have to go and ask why someone is trying to smoke out the moles feeding Al bad info - or at the very least trying to force Tony to retire by planting these ridiculous stories about him.
    WDI claimed a lot of things were not happening and Al said they were... then the Preview Center came out... Al appears to be the victor! I do however agree with the "smoking out the moles" comment. It also explains why there is a substantial gap between Al's articles, as he is trying to verify stories.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post

They could have easily said they have no comment -- or just not returned Brady's call. Instead, they replied by saying that the rumor was "patently false." Strong words. Seems like damage control to me rather than quietly ignoring a rumor and letting it disappear. Instead, they acknowledge it, comment on it, and let it remain relevant.

Maybe it isn't damage control.. maybe Imagineering just needs some new PR people.

| | |

• =)

Interesting. I still have no strong feelings about the idea either way, so I think I'll basically be a quiet and semi-interested bystander in all this. But as we all know, just because Al or Disney says something does not necessarily mean it will come to fruition.

• Senior Minion

I would think Liver's right and Brady called WDI to verify the story and I also agree with MG that the smart thing for them to do would have been to make no comment. There is something a little strange about that response. I just doubt they would make up a story to tell to certain individuals to smoke out the leaker, I suppose it's possible, but it seems a little far fetched.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

This seems like an awful story to use to try and find leaks. The Hall of Presidents idea originates with Disneyland's proposed Liberty Street. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln comes from a similar vein of plans for Disneyland. President Lincoln has always had a prominent role in the Hall of Presidents. It seems like it would have been a lot easier to simply say that this is just a confusion between Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Did he call them or was this unprompted? Who made contact? Because that can sometimes indicate potential deniability.
    Who knows.

It could also be entirely possible that the LA Times writer wasn't communicating with WDI's PR department directly, and simply got an email from an over-eager intern at WDI whom he knows.

Feel free to ask Brady who his sources are, because I hear newspaper men love to get asked that.

He said the Rainforest was not being removed and USA was not being added. Rainforest was removed, downsized, then reinstalled in an alternate location. USA was installed in Rainforest's place... I'd say Marty was wrong on that one!
    I think it's funny how you desperately want to prove that Al was right, when all the evidence shows, that the person who actually worked at WDI, may actually have more knowledge on the project than the guy posting to the internet.

Marty said the Rainforest wasn't being removed and he said that the changes were not being made to marginalize the mary blair style. Both those are completely true.

Besides the ride hasn't even opened yet and you're already absolutely sure that Al is right, and the people working on the project have no clue what's going on.

WDI claimed a lot of things were not happening and Al said they were... then the Preview Center came out... Al appears to be the victor! I do however agree with the "smoking out the moles" comment. It also explains why there is a substantial gap between Al's articles, as he is trying to verify stories.
    The mole comment was a joke.

• Special Agent

Let me also say this.

Things were WAY different years ago when a journalist had time to actually check facts and confirm sources before a paper went to print. No offense intended, but Brady MacDonald comes off more as a blogger than an actual journalist. If this were done as an actual article running in the LA Times - there's no way that they would have printed it without imput from WDI, and if WDI denied the rumors, there's a good chance that NONE of this would have been printed at all.

The internet makes it all different.

Brady certainly has time to go back and fix his article, but there are a lot of errors that make it come off as unprofessional. For one thing, why didn't he quote a name for his "WDI Official" when he received his "official response" from WDI? Why didn't he contact Disneyland or any of the other internet columnists to confirm if they had even heard the rumor?

Just parroting what Al Lutz posted, and then coming around and saying some dude from WDI told him Al was wrong just doesn't seem like journalism to me.

• =)

I can actually relate to and agree with that recentmost sentiment, MrLiver!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-20-2008, 12:07 AM