Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: So, where does Al get his Info?

Al gets his info from folks at Disney that could never be fired, unless Disney somehow decided to let go of all their most talented powerhouses. In other words... it's gushing from the higher-ups, and a win-win for the company and for the nerds. It keeps people talking, opens discussion, and creates mystery. Something to think about.

• Senior Minion

Nobody can never be fired, they seem to have little need for creative types anymore anyway. They could close WDI completely and hire outside companies to design the parks and most people would never know the difference.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Al is all seeing, psychic, god-like even.

He doesn't NEED to be told, he just knows. Sometimes before Disney does.

(If you don't see the sarcasm in the above, I'm sorry)

• I'm not really here

Honestly... it's safer if you don't know.

The last person to ask this question was found in a dark alley with a pair of mouse ears permanently attached to his head.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Who?

Please ignore this comment if you don't get the joke...
    How about Top person.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    When one has less than 10 posts on a board but one of those posts is used to insult the credibility of one of the major contributors to a site, it does call the credibility and motivations of the poster himself into question.

That's all I'm suggesting.
    Morrigoon is right, based on the number of posts.
    Sorry, Mr Wiggins.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Vikings > Everything

Big words for someone with 6 posts. Al has been right most of the time. Including when other sites contradicted him.
    Regardless of how right he is most of the time (which I agree with), they're still rumors until they're proven by either a press release or disney just doing it. I've been reading this site for years, joined the board last year, and haven't really needed to post. It doesn't make me less educated than anyone else here.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by KsfCptnAwesome View Post
    Regardless of how right he is most of the time (which I agree with), they're still rumors until they're proven by either a press release or disney just doing it.
    KsfCptnAwesome is correct. Disney can backpeddle, delay or change their mind at any time. Even after an official announcement (though they tend not to after that point). That makes everything that Al posts as to what is "going" to happen a rumor. And I'd be willing to bet that Al himself, no matter how certain his sources are, would agree with this.

Al does an amazingly good job of making sure he has confirmed things, and has a pretty dang accurate track record, but that does not change the fact that it is a rumor until official. And official only comes from Disney.

I for one do not want to know where Al gets his information from. I'm just incredibly thankful that Al has been able to cultivate these sources and respects their privacy to the point where they continue to supply information to our community.

Disney is in an odd position with stuff like this, because rumors and "inside" reports like Al's keep us rabid fans happily speculating and armchair-imagineering to our heart's content. But when things hit the mainstream media (re: iasw) in a way that looks bad for Disney, then they get upset over it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• "I Break Things"

Big words for someone with 6 posts. Al has been right most of the time. Including when other sites contradicted him.
    I fail to see how the individual's post count has anything to do with their post. It was not a direct challenge to Al, or to Al's reputation. Likewise it shouldn't matter how often one posts. If they are judged at all it should be on the quality of their post, not the quantity. I can go into the counting thread and rack up several thousand posts, doesn't mean I contributed anything to the forum other then a series of numbers.

As to the subject at hand; Al has many sources ranging from park CM's to Management, to TDA, to WDI to Disney Corporate. Many members on here have connections within the company, and from time to time they hear things and pass it along. Disneyland Attractions Management used to take leaks very seriously. I remember when Jungle's refurb plans were posted in one of Al's updates. The finger was immediately pointed at the dock and we were all grilled on it. Two days later our Lead Team recieved an email from WDI outlining the proposed changes... Al's update was a mirror image of that email... so we had a "discussion" with Management about their accusations and the fact that WDI leaked it prior to us even having access to the information. Al also takes the time to verify his sources (something Mr. Liver was harping on.) Al specifically waits, and doesn't haphazardly toss out a rumor without verification. From time to time I have checked his rumors myself, mainly to see if I could verify them or disprove them. Al's record speaks for itself.

As to motivation it could be a variety of reasons. Someone could be upset with the Company, upset with their project, or looking for feedback be it positive or negative. It could be someone dazzled by the spotlight and having that fifteen minutes of fame by "breaking a story" or it could be someone who overheard it in the course of a normal conversation. There are a myriad of reasons why information is leaked, and while Disney could do a better job of preventing it, for the most part they don't seem to care unless it is blatent. Obviously if an individual is caught leaking unauthorized information they will be disciplined, but Disney doesn't appear to be doing a good job of trying to prevent it in the first place... reactive not proactive...

This then logically leads to the next question of "How often does Disney read the boards?" Pengi will tell you about a job opening she saw some time ago which is in relation to that subject. Bruce will chime in about how he has seen Main Street restorations being directed by a Manager holding printouts of Micechat threads. I know of at least six individuals in WDI, and four Managers in the park who read these boards on a consistent basis (personal time not company time)... not to mention countless CM's who are always reading on here. CM's have been disciplined for pictures they posted on here, and for information leaked on these boards attributed to their username (which is why I discourage posting pictures of CM's in or out of costume, or identifying oneself as a CM if they are currently employed by the company). You can safely say individuals within Disney are knowledgeable about, and read, various threads and articles on these boards... but I do not believe it is a sanctioned company activity. When it comes to "influence and inspiration" it is anyone's guess.
    Last edited by techskip; 11-20-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Honestly... it's safer if you don't know.

The last person to ask this question was found in a dark alley with a pair of mouse ears permanently attached to his head.
    Shhhh, that's privileged information.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Who?

Please ignore this comment if you don't get the joke...

Can ignore the joke if I don't get the comment?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I fail to see how the individual's post count has anything to do with their post. It was not a direct challenge to Al, or to Al's reputation. Likewise it shouldn't matter how often one posts. If they are judged at all it should be on the quality of their post, not the quantity. I can go into the counting thread and rack up several thousand posts, doesn't mean I contributed anything to the forum other then a series of numbers.

As to the subject at hand; Al has many sources ranging from park CM's to Management, to TDA, to WDI to Disney Corporate. Many members on here have connections within the company, and from time to time they hear things and pass it along. Disneyland Attractions Management used to take leaks very seriously. I remember when Jungle's refurb plans were posted in one of Al's updates. The finger was immediately pointed at the dock and we were all grilled on it. Two days later our Lead Team recieved an email from WDI outlining the proposed changes... Al's update was a mirror image of that email... so we had a "discussion" with Management about their accusations and the fact that WDI leaked it prior to us even having access to the information. Al also takes the time to verify his sources (something Mr. Liver was harping on.) Al specifically waits, and doesn't haphazardly toss out a rumor without verification. From time to time I have checked his rumors myself, mainly to see if I could verify them or disprove them. Al's record speaks for itself.

As to motivation it could be a variety of reasons. Someone could be upset with the Company, upset with their project, or looking for feedback be it positive or negative. It could be someone dazzled by the spotlight and having that fifteen minutes of fame by "breaking a story" or it could be someone who overheard it in the course of a normal conversation. There are a myriad of reasons why information is leaked, and while Disney could do a better job of preventing it, for the most part they don't seem to care unless it is blatent. Obviously if an individual is caught leaking unauthorized information they will be disciplined, but Disney doesn't appear to be doing a good job of trying to prevent it in the first place... reactive not proactive...

This then logically leads to the next question of "How often does Disney read the boards?" Pengi will tell you about a job opening she saw some time ago which is in relation to that subject. Bruce will chime in about how he has seen Main Street restorations being directed by a Manager holding printouts of Micechat threads. I know of at least six individuals in WDI, and four Managers in the park who read these boards on a consistent basis (personal time not company time)... not to mention countless CM's who are always reading on here. CM's have been disciplined for pictures they posted on here, and for information leaked on these boards attributed to their username (which is why I discourage posting pictures of CM's in or out of costume, or identifying oneself as a CM if they are currently employed by the company). You can safely say individuals within Disney are knowledgeable about, and read, various threads and articles on these boards... but I do not believe it is a sanctioned company activity. When it comes to "influence and inspiration" it is anyone's guess.
    Well said, that's pretty much what I've been saying too.

I think the fans do have an infleunce on WDI too. It really does seem like they are paying attention. I don't think they take specific ideas, but I think they do take the fan comments into account. I really think the direction of PP from going in a more carnival or fair-like direction that some of the early concept art shows, to the more refined historic Victorian Boardwalk look they're doing instead, was partially because of the fans distaste for the fair look. It's clear they had two competing visions for the new PP within WDI and I think the fan community had an influence on which path they took.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Well said, that's pretty much what I've been saying too.

I think the fans do have an infleunce on WDI too. It really does seem like they are paying attention. I don't think they take specific ideas, but I think they do take the fan comments into account.
    I would definitely agree with that. I think they listen to our sentiments... the emotion of the fan base instead of actual concrete ideas.

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by themarquisde View Post
    Honestly, I think that if Disney wanted to keep their secrets, they'd simply keep their secrets.
    There's a purpose and a plan behind "leaking" information, and a corporation as massive as Disney certainly knows how to work it.
    Bingo.

Al get's the information and shares it with us. Consider ourselves lucky to have Al as a resource! Don't ask Don't tell. So, Al how do you do it? Just kidding. Thanks again for your years of dedicated love towards the parks and shedding light on the unknown.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast