Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: So, where does Al get his Info?

Right, they can completely control thousands of people and only what they want to leak is leaked. That's ridiculous. The more they try to tighten their grasp, the more leakers that will slip through their fingers. Fortunately, in general they don't care, because it does generate buzz, but that does not mean every leak is on purpose.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Al does an amazingly good job of making sure he has confirmed things, and has a pretty dang accurate track record, but that does not change the fact that it is a rumor until official. And official only comes from Disney.

I for one do not want to know where Al gets his information from. I'm just incredibly thankful that Al has been able to cultivate these sources and respects their privacy to the point where they continue to supply information to our community.

Disney is in an odd position with stuff like this, because rumors and "inside" reports like Al's keep us rabid fans happily speculating and armchair-imagineering to our heart's content. But when things hit the mainstream media (re: iasw) in a way that looks bad for Disney, then they get upset over it.

Yes, Al has generally done a great job, but most of the occasional slips in the past were easily covered by simple "margin of error" type situations. He usually double checks his sources and I am surprised that this story, which I feel seemed over the top to begin with, would get by him.

The thing is, those "margin of error" type of slips generally do little damage. But this over the top one could be more damaging to his credibility. Especially since the update is still there and there hasn't been any correction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by themarquisde View Post
    Honestly, I think that if Disney wanted to keep their secrets, they'd simply keep their secrets.
    There's a purpose and a plan behind "leaking" information, and a corporation as massive as Disney certainly knows how to work it.

That's a bit idealistic. Especially with politics having such a big impact on what goes on in the various divisions. Many of the "leaks" often seem to be an attempt to expose perceived BAD concepts in an attempt to get pressure on the company to cancel them. Sometimes there are "leaks" in an attempt to get the public behind an idea that some feel needs a boost.

While there are some strategies to purposely feed either information or MIS-information to the public for corporate purposes, I believe that a good deal of the "leaks" from Al's sources are from general employees just wanting to see that real information, as opposed to marketing PR, gets out and/or just correcting misinformation that sometimes pops up in the form of rumors.

But then we get a rumor of Obama and Washington AA figures in the Lincoln show . . . . .

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Big words for someone with 6 posts.
    Small words for someone with more than 10,000 posts.
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    But then we get a rumor of Obama and Washington AA figures in the Lincoln show . . . . .
    I must say this one sounded unlikely to me, as it would have set a precedent for including living presidents in the show. I know WDW does it with the Hall of Presidents, but somehow I can't see Disneyland being willing to change their show out every four to eight years.

Quote Originally Posted by retrodiz View Post
    I must say this one sounded unlikely to me, as it would have set a precedent for including living presidents in the show. I know WDW does it with the Hall of Presidents, but somehow I can't see Disneyland being willing to change their show out every four to eight years.
    Regardless of if it comes to pass or not, I think having the current sitting president as part of the two president attractions could go a long way in keeping both attractions fresh. Certainly I think it's kept the Hall of Presidents from teetering off into irrelevance. Adding a sitting president to the Disneyland attraction in some tasteful or entertaining way could do the same for it, and I don't see how an update every 4 or 8 years could really be seen as an unreasonable expense. In my opinion, nearly every attraction could do with an update in that timeframe.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Fortunately, in general they don't care, because it does generate buzz.
    Perhaps. But the rumor is that talking to Al is a fireable offense.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss View Post
    Regardless of if it comes to pass or not, I think having the current sitting president as part of the two president attractions could go a long way in keeping both attractions fresh. Certainly I think it's kept the Hall of Presidents from teetering off into irrelevance. Adding a sitting president to the Disneyland attraction in some tasteful or entertaining way could do the same for it, and I don't see how an update every 4 or 8 years could really be seen as an unreasonable expense. In my opinion, nearly every attraction could do with an update in that timeframe.

The Hall of Presidents ALWAYS gets updated with new presidents. So yes, it would keep it relevant.

However, the Lincoln show is about Lincoln. They tried the "entertaining" way for the last rehab, much to the dismay of many who visited the attraction. Adding a "sitting president" to that show would totally destroy it's value and would make it much less appealing to many who would have enjoyed the original attraction.

Updating is not a problem. yes the Lincoln show needs updating and rehabbing, especially after what they did to it the last time. But the show can be freshened up and made appealing again without adding extraneous characters (IASW!)

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I wouldn't doubt that's true, but it may not be. I can see many reasons that it could be true. He's got too good of a reputation for being right about what they're doing, he sometimes does reveal things that I don't think they want revealed, and he can be harsh in his criticism. I'm pretty sure they don't want people talking to Al because people actually believe him.

It's not just a random rumor from an unknown source on the internet; which even when it's right, I doubt they worry about as much. But even the mainstreem media uses Al as a source. I'm sure his reports have at times impacted some business dealings, which could be more damaging than the positive buzz that is created. There are a lot of reasons they might frown upon employees talking to Al, and a few reasons they might not mind a few of the things he says. Overall, they may have decided to crack down for some of these reasons, I have no idea though.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Animatronic

I'm picturing Al trying to order a dole whip and the poor CM just nodding.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I'm picturing Al trying to order a dole whip and the poor CM just nodding.
    You know what I mean!

Some of my sources have been on the receiving end of some pretty serious threats now and again. The series of articles on the Ward Kimball (2005) definitely broght down some heat. However, Uncle Bob is correct--when the Gurley series was being done, word was the suits didn't mind it as much because it did provide a bit of free publicity.

• Thanks, Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    While there are some strategies to purposely feed either information or MIS-information to the public for corporate purposes, I believe that a good deal of the "leaks" from Al's sources are from general employees just wanting to see that real information, as opposed to marketing PR, gets out and/or just correcting misinformation that sometimes pops up in the form of rumors.
    Depending on your specifications of general employees I either agree or entirely disagree with you.

• Fastest Man Alive

Depending on how you look at it; true. All employees/cast of the Walt Disney Company sign confidentiality agreements upon being hired. Violating that agreement is a fireable offense.
    So talking to Al, no. Providing Al with confidential information that will shop on MiceAge, yes. Just like putting up pictures from backstage environments.

• A Weather Eye Open

I'm of the school of thought that Al is in contact with at least one of the really big guns, one so big that they can talk to Al completely on the DL ("down low", not Disneyland, sillies) and not be suspected of leaking. I agree that the very top execs can see the benefits of leaking and use them to their advantage, but they don't want just anyone talking to Al... whoever leaks I'm sure talks about only very specific things for gauging reaction, creating buzz, whatnot. And of course Al's stuff isn't right 100% of the time, but he more than checks his facts so I wouldn't call them false or rumor... like a couple other people have said, plans are constantly changing, even AFTER Disney gives it an official stamp and release, so I think it's pretty brilliant that he can manage to get such accurate info from such an evolving (and sometimes mixed up) company.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• "I Break Things"

like the rumor that hanging out with me will damage your rep!... oh wait that one wasn't a rumor NM...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast