Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• HauntedOne999

Re: Female vs Male characters and childrens role models at DisneyLand.

True, there has been a decline in Male face characters. For some reason 2 years ago almost all of the Princes were let go... thats why they are not on the Final Float of POD and why they are not longer in the fantasy faire. the only male face characters left are aladdin, mad hatter, peter pan, and bert thats it!!!
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Queen Elsa

I think we need to write to Disney and demand that we get the male characters back. I mean I know they will have the Princese in the Christmas parade this year. So why can't they use them also for meet and greet time as well. I have a picture of Aurora from the POD and I also have the same Aurora for a meet and greet as well. So I can see them do the same for the other parade male characters.

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    I have a 3 year old nephew (Boy) that loves to put on costumes and currently is infatuated with the Fairie costume (with the wings) that a girl friend of his has. He wants one of those costumes real bad. His parents will not buy him one
    I suppose that they wouldn't buy him a Peter Pan costume either, then.

and it got me thinking about how I am a bit sad that there are so many female characters and costumes for little girls to connect with, but not much for the boys. I was thinking about it, Girls at Disneyland can aspire to be, TinkerBell or the various faeries, Cinderella, Snow White, Princess Aurora, Belle, Ariel, Pocahontas, and Alice.

While the boys can be Peter, Prince Phillip, Alladin, woody, buzz and a Pirate.
    On any given day there are not usually many male characters out and about.
    It's not just Disneyland, boys are kind of being deprecated in our educational system as well. In general, women can get away with doing or wearing "guy" things more than men could with traditionally "girl" things. Certainly there is more variety in women's clothing than men's, which is just another example.

So I am just wondering what is a little boy to do?
    I think that Beast and Tarzan costumes (carefully designed to be practical in every way) would be cute, but I guess they don't make those. They should have Davy Crockett and Indiana Jones paraphernalia if they don't right now (I can't say that I've looked at merchandise for a while). I guess Disney's own market research shows, rightly or wrongly, that boys don't like to dress up or identify with characters as much as girls do.

Is there any possibility DisneyLand could add more interesting male characters to the daily line up and offer some costumes that can be purchased for little boys, that are not that interested in being Buzz, Woody a Pirate or a Star Wars character?
    I suppose it's possible if somehow there is a resurgence in the popularity of "adventure" movies and the current, extremely lucrative "princess" marketing machine runs its course (the latter produces about as much revenue as all of Disney's parks put together ). But right now, Disney marketing is obsessed with products for girls because it has been their cash cow, and they're going to milk it as much as they can before looking elsewhere.

Isn't there such a thing as Male faeries?
    Yes, but society would still most likely consider fairies of all types a girl thing.

I would love to see a little more gender equality at the park
    Anyone with me here? What's a little boy to do?
    I agree. There's definitely more focus on female characters and products for girls, which to some degree is a reflection of current society, as well. I'm not sure what a little boy is to do except enjoy whatever is available (it'll teach him to be a gentleman about it, I guess ).

• Following the Second Star

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Maybe a new Mad Hatter after the new Alice movie in...2 years, lol
    NO.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

Well the next TinkerBell movie is actually going to be all about TinkerBell and Terrence. If Pixie Hallow keeps going as strong as it is now and the budget doesn't get cut even more we might be seeing Terrence get put in Pixie Hallow.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

With regards to male face characters, it definitely has gone down...the two I liked, Indiana Jones and Jack Skellington, are now defunct. I'd say they should maybe go the route of...and this is a bit out there, as previously I believe he was usually a rubberhead....find a good actor that can physically do it and have a face Captain Hook, along with Mr. Smee as well. the main issue with this would be the casting of two guys to do it well, but they could have a lot of fun and go out with Peter Pan and be interactive.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Bringing Prince Charming, and the other Princes out with the Princesses isn't a good way to attract the boys, either. The boys want the action adventure heroes. Yes, DL did have a lot of Indy hats this summer, and quite a few were seen on kids and adults, BUT WHY didn't they have and Indy meet and greet????? THAT is something that Disney could have used to cater to boys. The Indy action in the crowd of Advetureland was Really cool! And for how crowded Advetureland is, Disney did a terrific job adding to the flavor of the land! BUT no meet and greet!?!?!?! Ugggggg!!!! And it was ok to have Captain Jack wander around New Orleans Square - BUT they needed him to be at a meet and greet location on the mainland, like when they first introduced him in DL. Same for the Jedi Training - WHY NO MEET AND GREET!?!?!?!?! Disney just is ignoring what they could do to attract boys!

• Far too curious

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Bringing Prince Charming, and the other Princes out with the Princesses isn't a good way to attract the boys, either. The boys want the action adventure heroes. Yes, DL did have a lot of Indy hats this summer, and quite a few were seen on kids and adults, BUT WHY didn't they have and Indy meet and greet????? THAT is something that Disney could have used to cater to boys. The Indy action in the crowd of Advetureland was Really cool! And for how crowded Advetureland is, Disney did a terrific job adding to the flavor of the land! BUT no meet and greet!?!?!?! Ugggggg!!!! And it was ok to have Captain Jack wander around New Orleans Square - BUT they needed him to be at a meet and greet location on the mainland, like when they first introduced him in DL. Same for the Jedi Training - WHY NO MEET AND GREET!?!?!?!?! Disney just is ignoring what they could do to attract boys!
    ...I saw Indy doing a meet n' greet once. I'm also pretty sure I've seen Darth Vader and some Storm Troopers patrolling Tomorrowland once.

The decline in male characters is upsetting, but you know, I have seen little boys actually want to go in line to meet Tinkerbell, and excited to see Alice when she and Mr. Hatter are out, and I've even seen little boys wanting to meet princesses. Back when Ariel still had her grotto, I remember walking by a family, and overhearing a son ask his mother when Ariel was going to come out, and he sounded rather eager to meet her(which, might I add, made me happy, because she's my favorite XP).

You don't have to be a boy to appeal to boys, necessarily, but more male characters would be great.

• Senior Minion

It comes down to the fact that they find it easier to market to girls, and that it's a lot easier to make money off of girls. Just like everything else they find something that works and then they keep doing it and doing it until they kill the goose. I don't see this changing anytime soon as boys in general are harder to connect with, harder to pick successful products to sell them on, and not as interested in dressing up as their favorite character. They took away most of the real looking pirate guns and cool rubber snakes and stuff. If I were a kid today virtually nothing they currently retail would appeal to me. In fact, I'm just a big kid now, and very little they sell does appeal to me.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

The problem with male face characters is that there are too many cougars prowling around.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by SkeletonStockings View Post
    ...I saw Indy doing a meet n' greet once. I'm also pretty sure I've seen Darth Vader and some Storm Troopers patrolling Tomorrowland once.

The decline in male characters is upsetting, but you know, I have seen little boys actually want to go in line to meet Tinkerbell, and excited to see Alice when she and Mr. Hatter are out, and I've even seen little boys wanting to meet princesses. Back when Ariel still had her grotto, I remember walking by a family, and overhearing a son ask his mother when Ariel was going to come out, and he sounded rather eager to meet her(which, might I add, made me happy, because she's my favorite XP).

You don't have to be a boy to appeal to boys, necessarily, but more male characters would be great.
    Missing the point. Look at the designated areas for all the Princesses, and not just the meet and greet, but the interaction with their little show. And the permanent meet and greet for 3 different Fairies. With Indy, he went straight from the show in Aladdin's Oasis, to the action on the street, to disappearing - He didn't have the designated meet and greets, like Tink and Princesses, and it wasn't even set up for him to meet at a regular time. Star Wars Characters also disappear as soon as the show is over - WHY? Do all that make up and costuming with no meet and greet - What a complete missed opportunity!

• Closed Account

Thought I would reply since I started the Goodbye To Captain Jack Sparrow thread. I don't think or I would hope I would not want my three year old son to look upon any fictional Disney characters as a role model. I think the only non-fictional character would have to be Abe Lincoln since he is real.

Capatain Sparrow would definitely NOT be a role model considering what piracy stood for back in the 18th century! NOT GOOD!!!!!!

• Following the Second Star

Missing the point. Look at the designated areas for all the Princesses, and not just the meet and greet, but the interaction with their little show. And the permanent meet and greet for 3 different Fairies. With Indy, he went straight from the show in Aladdin's Oasis, to the action on the street, to disappearing - He didn't have the designated meet and greets, like Tink and Princesses, and it wasn't even set up for him to meet at a regular time. Star Wars Characters also disappear as soon as the show is over - WHY? Do all that make up and costuming with no meet and greet - What a complete missed opportunity!
    Well Hatter and Alice don't have the "designated areas" and quite frankly I like it better that way. Having them stuck in one area isn't quite as fun. Alice and Hatter can wander, can take their time walking to where they should be. They also can see more people this way. They don't just see the people at their "designated area", but the people who happen to be on the way. So having the exact place as to where they should be isn't always the best.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Yeah, I originally tried to start this topic w/in the Jack Sparrow thread but it was pretty much ignored because everyone was lamenting dear old Jack.

Yeah, I was the one who mentioned that with all the fairies, and the departure of Captain Jack, just a few days ago, The Disney male characters are being overlooked. Disney needs to keep a wide variety of characters, and with the princess area in the FL theater, and adding the new Fairy area, BUT Indy's show isn't around anymore, and they recently kicked out Captain Jack and Jack Skellington, that quite literally doesn't even leave JACK for boys, in meet and greets. The only thing that leans that direction is the The Jedi Training Academy in Tomorrowland Terrace, which isn't aren't really Disney characters.
    As I said over at the Jack thread, this is exactly how I feel.

Darn you Aladdin for thinking the same way i do! this is exactly going to be my point. As has been mentioned there are the princes, but boys are not going to want to see grown men in tights (with the exception of maybe Peter Pan). Aladdin, Tarzan, Indy, Jack Sparrow, Jack Skellington, these all resonate far better with young boys that want role models.

From what I've heard, Vader and Maul only do meet and greets when it rains and they can't do Jedi Academy

I think the problem with this is the stigma often applied to boys that want to see the "girly" characters. It's the same deal with the little boy wanting to be a fairy. It's not okay for him to have "traditionally" feminine tendencies. when a boy is young enough, it's more acceptable for them to go see the princesses or the fairies. As they get older though it's not okay or cool or socially acceptable. On top of that, from a very young age it becomes about boys hormones kicking in and them going to see the princesses to oggle them. This is broad generalization, I know, but you see a parent putting their child with, say, Ariel and you hear them talk about how he's a "lady's man".

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer20k View Post
    Well Hatter and Alice don't have the "designated areas" and quite frankly I like it better that way. Having them stuck in one area isn't quite as fun. Alice and Hatter can wander, can take their time walking to where they should be. They also can see more people this way. They don't just see the people at their "designated area", but the people who happen to be on the way. So having the exact place as to where they should be isn't always the best.
    I also agree with this. Honestly I understand why they do the designated areas (originally I think it was to keep the performers safe and in a controlled area but it's really more about that green money stuff they can rake in) but the spontineity is gone and with it, a bit of magic.

Quote Originally Posted by RescueTheDay View Post
    Well the next TinkerBell movie is actually going to be all about TinkerBell and Terrence. If Pixie Hallow keeps going as strong as it is now and the budget doesn't get cut even more we might be seeing Terrence get put in Pixie Hallow.
    Blarg! Terrence was boring... I'd much rather have Bobble... that might just.

I'm sorry this got long and winded. I could honestly probably babble for far longer about gender biases (I've taken too many classes about such things) but I shall digress for now

The decline in male characters is upsetting, but you know, I have seen little boys actually want to go in line to meet Tinkerbell, and excited to see Alice when she and Mr. Hatter are out, and I've even seen little boys wanting to meet princesses.
    Sure, I like them too, both as a child and as an adult, but the issue is characters that little boys can more directly identify with or pretend to be. Somehow I don't think that most parents would dress their son as Ariel or Tinker Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep View Post
    Capatain Sparrow would definitely NOT be a role model considering what piracy stood for back in the 18th century! NOT GOOD!!!!!!
    It doesn't stand for anything good nowadays, either. Hey, maybe Disney could make Pirates of the Caribbean even more "relevant" for today's youth by changing its theme and name to the Pirates of Somalia.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast