Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Female vs Male characters and childrens role models at DisneyLand.

I have a 3 year old nephew (Boy) that loves to put on costumes and currently is infatuated with the Fairie costume (with the wings) that a girl friend of his has. He wants one of those costumes real bad. His parents will not buy him one and it got me thinking about how I am a bit sad that there are so many female characters and costumes for little girls to connect with, but not much for the boys. I was thinking about it, Girls at Disneyland can aspire to be, TinkerBell or the various faeries, Cinderella, Snow White, Princess Aurora, Belle, Ariel, Pocahontas, and Alice.

While the boys can be Peter, Prince Phillip, Alladin, woody, buzz and a Pirate.
    On any given day there are not usually many male characters out and about. So I am just wondering what is a little boy to do?

Is there any possibility DisneyLand could add more interesting male characters to the daily line up and offer some costumes that can be purchased for little boys, that are not that interested in being Buzz, Woody a Pirate or a Star Wars character?

Isn't there such a thing as Male faeries?

I would love to see a little more gender equality at the park
    Anyone with me here? What's a little boy to do?
    Last edited by CAspace; 11-20-2008 at 01:01 AM.

• Following the Second Star

Re: Female vs Male characters and childrens role models at DisneyLand.

This actually came up in the Goodbye Jack Sparrow thread.

There should be more guy characters at the park out. There needs to be. The only guys I ever see out are Goofy, Mickey, Merlin (who's not even out now), Bert, and Hatter. And no little boys dress up as any of those (though seeing a mini Bert or Hatter would be wonderful). The one person out often that kids dressed up as (Captain Jack of course) isn't even there anymore! It really is becoming a park dominated by the girls.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I wouldn't mind being Terrence, Clank or Bobble...

Whoever the nerdy fairy guy is.

Yeah I watched Tinkerbell... Sue me!

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

EDIT: I don't know how this got posted.
    Last edited by Kritter; 11-20-2008 at 01:24 AM.

I second having Bobble as a meetable fairy!

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

also let's see here.

Female: Minnie, Aurora, Snow White, Belle, Mulan, Arielle, Jasmine, Cinderella, Alice, Tinkerbell, Rosetta, Silvermist, Eradessa, Faun, Mrs. Incredible, Jessie, Cruella DeVille, Mary Poppins, Daisy, Atta, Queen of Hearts, Sally.

Male: Mickey, Pluto, Goofy, Donald, Chip, Dale, Aladdin, Genie, Brer Fox, Brer Bear, Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Pinnochio, Gepetto, Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Max, Merlin, Bert, Penguin, Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum, Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Flik, Sulley, Frozone, Mr. Incredible, Stitch, Miko, Jack Skellington.

ummm that's all I can remember right now.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yeah, I was the one who mentioned that with all the fairies, and the departure of Captain Jack, just a few days ago, The Disney male characters are being overlooked. Disney needs to keep a wide variety of characters, and with the princess area in the FL theater, and adding the new Fairy area, BUT Indy's show isn't around anymore, and they recently kicked out Captain Jack and Jack Skellington, that quite literally doesn't even leave JACK for boys, in meet and greets. The only thing that leans that direction is the The Jedi Training Academy in Tomorrowland Terrace, which isn't aren't really Disney characters.

Oh, and your story reminded me of an episode of Everyone Loves Raymond - here's a brief clip from that episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=2kh5LAJs3I8

XD Aladdin, right when I saw that it was from Everybody Loves Raymond I knew what it was going to be. That episode was great lol

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

I agree, we need to see more meet & greets for male characters in the park.

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Maybe a new Mad Hatter after the new Alice movie in...2 years, lol
    Yeah I think Both Jacks should stay..but boys do have the Mickey gang to go and meet as a kid I liked to see Goofy.

Could your nephew's parents buy fairy wings and them modify them to make them more boyish? That's sort of a compromise and he'll probably grow bored with them in a little while anyway.
    Last edited by Extravabonanza; 11-20-2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Needed to add to it.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

I agree though that there need to be more male face characters in the park. They ought to have the princes out walking with the princesses more often. The only pair that I see out as a couple are Aladdin and Jasmine. I think a lot of people would enjoy getting to see the couples out together.
    A little bit about me...
    First Disneyland Trip: Oct. 1989
    Mandatory first ride: POTC
    Mandatory food: Clam chowder in bread bowl & a churro (not at the same time though)
    Next trip goals:
    1) Ride the Casey Jr. Circus Train. I didn't get around to it on this past trip.
    2) Get over to TSI.
    3) Try a jalapeño/cheese pretzel. Yummy!

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

What better costume could there be for a wee lad (or lass for that matter) than to dress up as a mini Jungle Cruise skipper?

I am sure the magicians at Disney can come up with some viable good role model characters for the younger boy guests. There is a big demographic out there that is bored or not interested in being a (Pirate, Jedi or a toy). Let's put our magic hats on and tap into that market and give younger boy guests more character interactions to look up to.

• Queen Elsa

I agree they need to have more boy characters out like Robin Hood,Prince Phillip bring him back out. The last time I saw Phillip out was last Christmas at PFF but he was not next to Aurora. Othere we need is Tarzan,Hercules,John Smith,Baloo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast