Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

DCA's Lagoon is deeeeep

So I've been watching as the lagoon gets drained, wondering how deep it actually is. The River's of America is only something like 4-6' if I recall from other reports... but the lagoon in DCA is much much deeper.

Check out this photo from one of the MA stories

With men standing there you can get a real perspective to the light fixtures that were in the water. The lagoon looks to be at least a good 12+ feet deep in the middle.

So why do you think DCA's was built so deep to start with? That's way more then any boat draft you need unless you have a massive boat needing bouancy to stay afloat... 'headroom' for future mechanical gear?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Re: DCA's Lagoon is deeeeep

Well, I believe when the park was built they had plans for some sort of water show in the lagoon, so I think it was built and deepened for that. However, a show was never installed. (except for the short lived LuminAria)

If WoC is going with WET Design fountain installations, then the lagoon would need to be this deep as the majority of the shooters used in their installations are around 10 to 12 feet tall alone.

Bellagio in Las Vegas is only about 4 feet deep around the lake, however near the fountains it drops down to about 14 feet at the deepest. My guess is that this was similarly designed when constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyWatersDude View Post
    Well, I believe when the park was built they had plans for some sort of water show in the lagoon, so I think it was built and deepened for that. However, a show was never installed. (except for the short lived LuminAria)

If WoC is going with WET Design fountain installations, then the lagoon would need to be this deep as the majority of the shooters used in their installations are around 10 to 12 feet tall alone.

Bellagio in Las Vegas is only about 4 feet deep around the lake, however near the fountains it drops down to about 14 feet at the deepest. My guess is that this was similarly designed when constructed.
    One of the greatest things about MiceChat is that somewhere within the community there is always an expert with information or at the very least a knowledgeable guess.

Thanks fantasywatersdude.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• I'm not really here

Great explanation FantasyWatersDude. I think you've nailed it right on.

Those guys out there in that photo really does put it in perspective. I would love to stand out in the middle like that, but at the same time... it would be one of those insanely surreal experiences.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Mickey Mouse Slave

Makes a lovely skate park after dark... anyone care to attempt breakin in and SKAAAAATE???

lol, seriously, would a water show boost guest or 2 rides?
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So why do you think DCA's was built so deep to start with?
    They needed the dirt to raise up Grizzly Peak. All the dirt from that lagoon went right under that giant mountain.

• Sock Puppet

While they were constructing DCA, we stayed at the PPH quite a bit and got to watch (and photograph) the many stages of construction.

When they had the area dug out for the lagoon, it looked HUGE from our hotel room.

A funny thing.... After DCA opened, and we went to check-in to the PPH, they gave us a room on the opposite side of the hotel, since the side facing DCA was now a "premium" room.

After I asked the CM to look up our history of stays there, and how we had to "put up" with the DCA construction, she gladly gave us a room overlooking DCA with no "upgrade" charge. LOL

• Yeah.....

Well if the show is going to include WET's massive 200 foot water cannons like at bellagio, the lagoon would have to be at least that deep.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The fill dirt story is interesting.. but what is more expensive over the long haul? Treating millions more gallons of water for the lifetime of the park, and greater concrete costs, or up front construction cost to haul in dirt?

It's certainly convenient, but do you make the lagoon DEEPER then you originally wanted purely for this convenience?

I think given their experience with Fantasmic, I'd wager they were future proofing it after their fun trying to squeeze stuff into the RoA.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The fill dirt story is interesting.. but what is more expensive over the long haul? Treating millions more gallons of water for the lifetime of the park, and greater concrete costs, or up front construction cost to haul in dirt?
    But the other way doesn't really make sense either. They obviously didn't want to build a show in the lagoon when the park opened, since they left out most of the infrastructure to do so. So why would they pay the upkeep costs to make the lagoon deeper, knowing full well that they would need to drain it and tear it all out to put a show in eventually.

My understanding is that most of that concrete is going to have to be ripped up and more control equipment installed for the show.

Operating costs are different than upfront construction costs. It certainly would have made the park cheaper to build initially if they used the dirt from the lagoon to build the mountain (which they did).

• Pilot EdForceOne

Yes, operating costs are much more 'expensive' because up front capital costs are diffused over very long amortization schedules and financing.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Star Tourist

it would be sick to skate in there.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    They needed the dirt to raise up Grizzly Peak. All the dirt from that lagoon went right under that giant mountain.
    That is very true as well. Totally forgot about that... haha

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by I<3DisneyGirls View Post
    it would be sick to skate in there.
    Not if you're Christian Slater.

• FastPass n00b

I've always wanted to see a boat or water attraction in that pond. It seems like such a waste of space as it is. When you look at Disneyland's bodies of water, they are huge too, but they take advantage of every inch of space. This is just one big hole in DCA where nothing but water is.

It's a very nice lagoon and I love the atmosphere of Paradise Pier, but something has to be done to reclaim at least a little of the space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast