Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Why do you feel HISTA is so disliked?

Merely curious...as it seems to be mostly widely reviled on these boards, by myself included. Seperating myself from it, I can see...they worked hard on the attraction, worked on making the effects immersive and unique, sunk some money into it, and a film like that isn't cheap to make. Given the trend to liking attractions that make the audience or guest feel like part of the action...where does HISTA fall short?

Is it the repitive nature of seeing it over and over? The characters or script? Does the overall action not engage you?

For me, the issue is just...I can on a clinical level, appreciate...hey, that's decently written, the effects are pulled off mostly well, the film's not horrible. But it doesn't engage or fascinate me, for whatever reason, like say Haunted Mansion or Indiana Jones does. There is no layer of detailing, even compared to say the Muppets film which is filled to the brim with weird gags and details and the like. Your thoughts?

• Animation Domination

Re: Why do you feel HISTA is so disliked?

HISTA is just so outdated that it becomes boring going on it more then three times.
    In fact it's very chessy and lame. It might have do better if it had some catchy music just like Captain EO. Also a better plot and story.

• It's all about Theme!

I don't hate it. Could there be something better? Sure.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Winter in Oceanside...

It revolves around an old movie from 1989 that is not a classic (like Star Wars or Indy). Not many can relate to it anymore.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Hmmm, where are all the HISTA haters? They speak up on other threads.

Personally, I like it, and it's low on my list of things that need attention in Tomorrowland. There are so many other attractions that need more attention,
    1st if all Innoventions has had at least 2 makeovers since it opened with the TL98 horror. AND IT STILL SUCKS! C'mon Disney!! put a decent attraction in this building! Next, Star Tours NEEDS TO BE UPDATED!!!!! Then Peoplemover, and move the astro orbitor back to the Rocket Jet Location, clean up the enter to TL! THOSE all need to be done before anything needs to be done with HISTA, as far as I'm concerned.

Back to your main question. I'm unsure about the reason for hating on HISTA so much. Yeah, it's an older movie, but, good grief, most of the Attractions at DL that are based on movies that are older than HISTA. Maybe it's just the 3 D movie Concept. I've just recently seen some hating on Bug's Live 3D in DCA. Muppet 3D doesn't get much love either.

• Waxing Nostalgic

I dislike it for a few reasons.

First, Dr. Nigel is involved in both HISTA and in the new Journey Into Imagination, so seeing HISTA (in DL or in WDW) reminds me of the atrocity that was Journey Into Your Imagination and the more palatable, but still inferior, newest Journey Into Imagination attraction.

Second, HISTA just doesn't belong in DL. Dr. Nigel introduces Rick Moranis' character, but there is no background to tell the audience who Dr. Nigel is like exists in the WDW version. Instead, the audience has some random guy introducing the main character, who they may or may not be familiar with. Awkward? Yes.

Third, Honey I Shrunk the Audience is no longer (yes, I'm going to use the "R" word) relevant. People don't watch Honey I Blew Up the Kid, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, or Honey We Shrunk Ourselves (I think that was the last one) anymore, so the story has lost its meaning. Those who have watched the movies grew tired of its repeated premise in all three movies, plus HISTA.

Fourth, it dated quickly and has limited repeat enjoyment value. Film shows in general have less repeatability than rides because you might not have noticed the bellows hanging in the burning scene in POTC before despite riding it 15 times, but two or three showings of HISTA and you will know everything that will be shown on screen and which gags are coming.

Finally, other attractions put HISTA to shame. The same gags HISTA employs (feeling something moving near/touching you, water sprays) are better executed in ITTBAB; whereas TSMM combines (in a limited way) the repeat enjoyment of a ride with the 3D and gags.

</end rant>.

• The Pirate Girl

For me, I saw it once, and that was it. It, as was suggested, didn't engage me. And I don't really feel it quite belongs in DL.
    For certain you must be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

• Sock Puppet

I don't hate it, but I wouldn't start a petition it if they wanted to replace it.

It's boring and it has worn out its welcome.

It's time to call it quits.

Please.

• Minion

Too much plot for repeatability. Dated execution (not in the charming way).

• Off to Neverland

boring...plus I hate those shows when stuff pops out @ me under the seats n stuff...

It has a low repeatability level for me. As somone before mentioned, at least Captain EO had catchy music.

And as a kid that lady with the nails freaked the hell out of me.

• Disneyland Grandee

It's a 'one hit wonder'.

No, I take that back, once was MORE than enough.
    Take the boring sucker out.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

It's poorly written, the plot and characters are not engaging (I actually like most characters played by Rick Moranis, so it's not the actor), and it's just plain boring, much like the movies.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

I agree. It's not the best it could be, and a replacement would be welcome. Almost anything could be better-not saying that it's necessarily BAD, but just tired.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

It's boring, old, and dated.

Plus, the image quality,at least when I went, was absolutely horrible.

It's also taking up valuable space where another GOOD attraction could go.

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-24-2008, 12:08 AM