Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Opening Day

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyWatersDude View Post
    Maybe because of Wintertime Enchantment... it takes place at 5:30. Act 1 anyways.
    The 5:30 and 7:30 Wintertime Enchantment mini shows do not affect the Walkthrough attraction. However, the Castle was scheduled to close at 7:50 according to the CM at the Walkthrough entrance to prepare for the fireworks show. The CM was unsure of when the Castle would re-open after the fireworks.

All in all, the restored Walkthrough is, in my opinion, nothing short of a crowning achievement for WDI. It's these sort of small, detailed, magical experiences are what set Disney apart from the rest, and hopefully the opening of this is the sign of a shift in thinking and will lead to more quality experiences like this in the parks

The Accessible Experience room is lavishly themed, but nothing terribly remarkable; it's just the CGI Walkthrough recreation that was included on the Sleeping Beauty 50th Anniversary Platinum Edition DVD. It is presented on a big screen. I'm pretty sure it was a great big high-def TV, but could have also been rear-projected. Nevertheless, the show is nicely presented and features closed-captioned narration.

I highly recommend going through the Castle if you can handle the steps. It's a fantastic experience. I do warn you, however, that it can get pretty hot inside, even in the cool fall evening temperatures that we're enjoying tonight, so if you are already wary of tight, narrow spaces, the heat mght make your claustrophobia worse, so if theres a long line expect the inside of the castle to be pretty full and consider the Accessible Experiece instead.

I'll have photos of the walkthrough in this Friday's Dateline Disneyland.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Thanks for the heads up MG. I can't wait!

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

I am SOOO excited to see it in December! I can't wait to hear what everyone else has to say.
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

I was there tonight, hit the line around 5 pm and made it inside at about 5:45. It is truly gorgeous. The Imagineers have done themselves proud. I'm old enough to remember the pre-Barbie doll walk-through, and this brought back a lot of childhood memories. The new effects are subtle and lovely. Bravo!

I had my eye out for Tony Baxter, figuring he'd be lurking about, but missed him, alas. I did get an all-to-myself encounter with Mickey, though, on my way out of the Park so all in all a great night.

My last time through the Castle was the night before it closed (which was the first night of Haunted Mansion Holiday back in 2001), so I had a big desire to be back the night of the reawakening. I'm so happy I did.

The tree/castle lighting event is also beautiful!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    How many acts are there're anyhow?
    3. The 2 lighting shows at 5:30 & 7:30, & then Believe in Holiday Magic.

Oh my goodness, I can't wait until I go next month to see this!

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

I was number 4 in line! Yes! I had been waiting since 3:30 and the show was excellent. I can't believe the work they did. I had a nice conversation with Tony too. Does anyone think that he thnks we're all freaks because we talk aout him so much? If I were him, I would...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Ah! I'm jealous of your guy's experiences with the walkthrough and Tony Baxter!

Hopefuly I'll be able to come see it soon.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Far too curious

I was probably the 7th or 8th person in line, and it was worth waiting for two hours. It was incredible! One of the best parts was getting to actually talk to Tony Baxter. He is a really nice guy, and the other Imagineers that were with him were really great, and really excited that we enjoyed it so much.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SkeletonStockings View Post
    I was probably the 7th or 8th person in line, and it was worth waiting for two hours. It was incredible! One of the best parts was getting to actually talk to Tony Baxter. He is a really nice guy, and the other Imagineers that were with him were really great, and really excited that we enjoyed it so much.
    Care to share anything about the attraction?

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I was a bit further back in line. Got in line around 4:15 so I was by the white bridge. I kept looking to see if Tony Baxter was there but did not see him. Once it opened just before 5:30, the line moved quickly. I did not feel that it was too hot inside nor claustrophobic (and I am very claustrophobic). It is really nicely done and the effects are great. And talk about clean. It is like spic and span. A+ on this one! I did get pictures but they are not uploaded yet. Maybe tomorrow.

• Far too curious

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Care to share anything about the attraction?
    It was absolutely amazing for something not entirely finished. I do have tons of pictures that may or may not be posted in a trip report, however, the pictures I got don't do the actual attraction much justice. It is truly a wonder.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SkeletonStockings View Post
    It was absolutely amazing for something not entirely finished. I do have tons of pictures that may or may not be posted in a trip report, however, the pictures I got don't do the actual attraction much justice. It is truly a wonder.
    Well, I'd appreciate to see any pictures you'd care to share, as I don't know when I shall get to see this. It has always been my favorite attraction at Disneyland, and I am truly excited to see the results in photos.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The 5:30 and 7:30 Wintertime Enchantment mini shows do not affect the Walkthrough attraction. However, the Castle was scheduled to close at 7:50 according to the CM at the Walkthrough entrance to prepare for the fireworks show. The CM was unsure of when the Castle would re-open after the fireworks.
    A CM friend of mine told me that they had to close by 7 PM.

Also, Prince Phillip and Princess Auroa were out and out for autographs and photo ops, I guess, for the advertisement of the walkthrough.

• Legends never die...

This was one of the most magical Disneyland experiences I think I have had in a long while! I was unfortunately never able to see either version of the original attraction in person, but this... this blew my mind! The art is beautiful, putting the 70's Barbie and Ken to the utmost shame, (What were the 70's Imagineers thinking?) and the effects were simple but breathtaking. It was literally like watching a replay of a single instant of real life. As far as I know, since I never saw it for myself, I would be willing to say that this attraction is incredibly true to the original, if not better. Major congratulations to ALL who worked on this project! I wish I could have been there to congratulate Tony, much less meet him! There is so much to say about the walkthrough, I am just so impressed and satisfied. I THOUROUGHLY documented it, with pictures of every diorama and book, and video of the animated dioramas. I hope I can post them soon!

Spoiler
    I personally loved the Maleficent effects best, especially her transformation (Pure Disney magic!) and I love that they reinstalled her shadow at the end!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast