Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Forever thankful. .

Re: Photo Update 11/25-26: Christmas Fantasy Parade and Wide Angle Night Shots

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post

WOW! Amazing photo - all of them but this is my favorite one of the batch. Thanks for sharing.

• Found my prince!

Your pictures are just amazing. Thanks for sharing!

• Banned User

Can't wait for the Small World & Castle pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post

Hmmm Prince Caspian must have been sick that day... that was nice of his dad to come fill in for him!

• Off to Neverland

donald has a funny tummy

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Part VII: IASW and Castle

Sorry for the delay again. I wanted to have these up by last Monday or Tuesday, but time keeps getting away from me. Here's the final installment of this thread.

Most of these were taken between 5:15 and 6:00 PM on my way home ON 11/26. I really wanted to see what the new and improved Small World looked like at night.

So, I'll pick up where I left off.

Again, even though it was dark, the castle snow doesn't come on until about 5:30. If you want a great view of this, when we were there on Sunday, they roped off the benches in front of the castle, but the area wasn't actually reserved until 7pm, so ANYONE can sit there.

But I didn't know that at the time. So on I went to IASW to try to grab a few shots. First through the still snowless castle and looking back...

Through Fantasyland and past the Canal Boats...

until I turned the corner and found IASW completely lit up...

I wanted to take some shots from either the Disabled parade viewing area or down where the parade begins, but both of those areas were completely blocked off as the LINE for IASW stretched all the way down that viewing area and back again. Between the stroller parking and the enormous line, there was no way to get over on that side. So I went through the gift shop and was able to get some shots directly in front of the exit turnstyles.

It was now approaching 5:30, and suddenly, all of the lights went out, and the music came up. I was completely unaware that the snow fall occured at IASW as well as the castle. I'm not sure if the snow machines were throwing snow behind me, but projected flakes appeared on the castle and fell throughout the sound track that is running throughout much of the park now...

After the snowfall, the music switched again (I think it was the nutcracker as in previous years) and the rest of the projections followed. I love how they specifically match the geometrical designs across the entire face of the ride...

Then, just as suddenly, it was over and the lights came back up...

Here's just a few shots of the interior with the 10-24 lens which were taken earlier in the week...

As I was trying to make it home in time for dinner, it was already time to head out...

...and the Matterhorn caught my eye, lit up against the night sky with a few lingering storm clouds nearby...

...but not before stopping at the castle for a few shots now that the snow was on....

One of the cool things about the 10-20 lens is that it became possible to catch some things vertically that I would have missed otherwise. With my other lens, I believe it was a bit tougher to catch the full reflection from the side of the castle. Here's three different incarnations of the same shot. I'm kind of partial to the second one...

I tried to catch the wishing well in this one...

Then, sadly, I had to leave...back up Mainstreet...

with one final look back at the tree...

...but I'm already looking forward to my next trip. Which will be in...um...about two hours from now.

THE END.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-06-2008 at 07:19 AM.

• Banned User

So they do the snowfall show at 5:30 at Small World, then switch straight over to the projection show?

Hi Mac daddy,
    Great photos! I have the same lenses & camera body you have. I was wondering with the wide Sigma 10-20mm did you have to straighten out the bldgs in post processing in CS or did they turn out alright without PostProcessing in PS? Please advise because I am going on my once a year trip and really want to get great shots but don't want to have to spend too much time in post.
    Thanks! DSF
    Edit: Also was wondering if you put any type of polarising filter on any of your lenses?
    Thanks for any info!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

ooooohhh! So prettyful!!! *sigh* Makes me want to be there just that much more....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Following the Second Star

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    So they do the snowfall show at 5:30 at Small World, then switch straight over to the projection show?
    Yup

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    That's what happened Wednesday of last week. (11/26) The during the snowfall sound track, falling snowflakes were projected on IASW. Immediately following, the nutcracker projection show began. I am assuming that the snowfall goes throughout the park at 5:30 as that's the time it began at the hub on 11/30. If there is snowfall near NOS, I'm guessing that it would all start simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySuiteFreak View Post
    Hi Mac daddy,
    Great photos! I have the same lenses & camera body you have. I was wondering with the wide Sigma 10-20mm did you have to straighten out the bldgs in post processing in CS or did they turn out alright without PostProcessing in PS? Please advise because I am going on my once a year trip and really want to get great shots but don't want to have to spend too much time in post.
    Thanks! DSF
    Edit: Also was wondering if you put any type of polarising filter on any of your lenses?
    Thanks for any info!
    Thanks DSF! It's good to hear that there are more Nikon users out there. We're beginning to catch up to the large numbers of Canon users on Micechat. With the Sigma, I didn't straighten any of the shots in this thread, but I have taken shots where tall vertical things towards the foreground will bend in a bit with the vignetting. The shot of the Columbia earlier in this thread is a good example as the lamp post in the shot is off by about 20 degrees or so. The same thing will often happen to the buildings on Main Street or things like the Christmas tree. But most of the time, if I'm not TOO close to taller vertical structures, the vignetting is not that noticeable. If you were shooting full frame, I think there would be a good deal of distortion, but with the D80, the shot is automatically cropped a bit as you take the shot. So I think you would be fine for landscapes, etc. Sometimes I will use that slight vignetting for effect, as when I shot Screamin in DCA or items and buildings that you would find in Toon Town.

As for filters, I'm not using any polarizing filters at the moment. I have a couple of filters that I use to protect the lenses, but since I've been shooting, I will either use a lens hood if I'm shooting into the sun, or I will adjust the levels in the shot when I resize it in Photoshop. I might look into getting some pretty soon though. I hope you have a great time on your trip! We'll be looking forward to your trip report!

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    ooooohhh! So prettyful!!! *sigh* Makes me want to be there just that much more....

You have to come during Christmas this year! You NEEEEEED to take a day off. I'm sure the hospital and your school will understand. When I taught high school and we teachers all ditched on the same day and went to Disneyland, we called it a "mental health day."

This is what you need.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Beautiful, beautiful photos Mac Daddy!!!

I just love how much of the Castle and surroundings that you get with the wide angle lens! I've wanted to do that myself, but my widest lens only goes to 17mm. And the IASW shots are absolutely lovely!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit the parks and post the results here. We love them all!

Awesome shots!

I too, experienced snowfall at "small world", and yes Luke, right after the snowfall it goes into the Nutcracker projection show.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Hmmm Prince Caspian must have been sick that day... that was nice of his dad to come fill in for him!
    Okay, so...you're hilarious.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo4 View Post
    Beautiful, beautiful photos Mac Daddy!!!

I just love how much of the Castle and surroundings that you get with the wide angle lens! I've wanted to do that myself, but my widest lens only goes to 17mm. And the IASW shots are absolutely lovely!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit the parks and post the results here. We love them all!

Thanks Armadillo! I would just have to echo Little Cricket in saying that it means a lot coming from an amazing photographer like yourself. I try to make no bones about the fact that I really haven't been at this very long. I've never taken a class, but I would certainly be up for one now. I got my annual pass and a DSLR right about the same time, and I've just been hooked on photography ever since. From what I've heard from various podcasts recently, one of the best ways to improve as a photographer is to go out and shoot every day. So that's where I'm at right now. I'm still very much a student, but I try to take my camera with me whenever I get a chance. The other way to improve, so I've been told, is to look as many shots as I possibly can whenever I get a chance. There have been so many shots on Micechat from gifted photographers, both in the Weekend Update and through the various forums here on Micechat that I've enjoyed viewing recently, and I've tried to learn from them all. As I told my daughter just the other day, I've always wondered what I would do when I finally retire from my job at the college. And now I know. I'll be taking my camera and hitting the road.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-03-2008, 05:55 AM
  2. 11-28-2008, 02:53 AM