Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride: What the Hell?

As it pertains to Mr. Toad I'll quote AC/DC. "Hell ain't no bad place to be!"

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa!

We don't refer to it as "hell"......we call it "The Inferno." Gotta keep things Disney-friendly after all. XD
    That's very considerate of you, but Maleficent actually says "Hell" in Sleeping Beauty so it should be acceptable to use this word at Disneyland, too, especially when it is used to refer to a place rather than as an oath (not even Iago would do the latter in Aladdin, interrupting himself, so I guess we know where the line is drawn).

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa!

We don't refer to it as "hell"......we call it "The Inferno." Gotta keep things Disney-friendly after all. XD
    Well, Hell IS an inferno - they are one in the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmotion View Post
    Well that seems like a good enough explanation. I like the end of the ride on cold, Winter days as well
    We went on a day back in early 1998 on an "El Nino" day - it was HORRENDOUS weather - cold, windy, wet.......a huge mess of a day.....and we were cold. So, 'going to Hell' in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was so nice and warm....but that's as close to Hell as I plan to go

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by retrodiz View Post
    Those original Fantasyland dark rides were always more about overall effect than storytelling, considering the limited space allocated to each attraction. The theme they stuck with for Mr. Toad was pretty clever; basically one long reckless driving binge with an implied disastrous ending. The movie plot has quite a bit more to it and probably would have been difficult to translate in an interesting way. (The climax is the battle at Toad Hall, followed by a cheerful happy ending.) I've always enjoyed Mr. Toad the way it is; hope they never change it!

Alice in Wonderland is an example of a reworked dark ride that would have been better left alone, in my opinion. In the process of matching it to the movie's story sequence, it lost a lot of its original zaniness and color. (The March of the Cards and the croquet scene just can't compare to weaving your way between whistling, steaming teapots and teetering stacks of crockery on a giant tea table!)
    I went to Disneyland as a kid during the 70s, but I don't remember the details of the Alice ride. When was it changed?
    It's a very good ride today, but seems like they should think twice before changing stuff just for the sake of changing them. In a ride, overall effect is definitely more important than closely following a storyline.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think I just had a vague memory of the details you described...unless my addled brain is playing tricks on me.

• Animatronic

The rides were altered during the generally quite amazing Fantasyland makeover around 1983.

I don't think having a bunch of scenes from the movie would have even occured to early imagineers. There were plenty of darkrides before Disney and it was well known what worked.

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum67 View Post
    Haha, I love it when someone from Southern California or Florida talks about the cold weather. A cold winter day there is like a warm spring day here in New Hampshire, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I lived in Michigan for 25 years and even up there, anything below 70, I was freezing. Snow is EVIL. I haven't seen any in 9 years now and I don't miss it one bit.
    This is exactly why I still live in CA, and won't live anywhere colder than NorCal EVER! I still freeze my booty off in February in Anaheim... I wear sweaters and trench coats and scarves and hats and gloves and tights UNDER my jeans, but still my teeth chatter and I buy buckets of Disneyland hot chocolate to warm me up (to no avail)...
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    The rides were altered during the generally quite amazing Fantasyland makeover around 1983.
    Gotta agree with Lore; the Fantasyland makeover was jaw-droppingly beautiful overall. Knowing that Walt had originally wanted it to look that way made it even more meaningful. (Budget constraints forced him to settle for less expensive "tournament tent" building facades; those are still in evidence at WDW's Fantasyland.)

Alice was not the only ride to be redone at that time; I believe all of the dark rides had at least some adjustments made. (Pinocchio was a completely new addition.) I know there were significant changes for Peter Pan, but they must have made some pretty wise decisions, because now I couldn't tell you what was different! Snow White was not so fortunate, in my opinion. It was sort of a strange mix to begin with, but I'm not sure the redo did a whole lot to improve either the storyline or the overall cohesiveness.

• whatever

"There were slight refurbishments to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in 1961, such as revised characters (like MacBadger, the butler, and the rubber devils) and an improved door system throughout the ride. The overall trackplan remained the same until the opening of the New Fantasyland in 1983. The loading area and ride exterior were enlarged and decorated beautifully, with images of Toad in abudance. Additional space was found to expand the ride and lengthen the track so that the end of the "wild ride' became wilder and more film-like. Now, the cars leave "Winkie's Pub," spin past the town square's new Green Dragon Inn and a whinsical statue of Toad and Cyril (the fountain). Then there's a fast five seconds in court as the evil Prosecutor shouts "GUILTY!" ... another five seconds in prison, then escape, tunnel, headlight, explosions and a bigger and better "Jaws of Hell." The familiar devils still wiggle and grin, but now we've got the evil Prosecutor, this time with horns and a tail, and then there's the green dragon I already mentioned earlier."

- thanks to an artical from The "E" Ticket, Issue 20

Let's talk about this Green Dragon Inn now... There's a "green dragon" at the end of the ride in hell, as well as a Green Dragon Inn earlier in the ride. What's the deal with this green dragon? It has nothing to do with the original movie in any way, yet we have not one but two of them in the ride. hmmm....

• First Time Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Snow is EVIL. I haven't seen any in 9 years now and I don't miss it one bit.
    I agree, I hate snow. It justs means shoveling and terrible driving, then flooding in the Spring. No snow yet here, though (knock on wood).
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    That's very considerate of you, but Maleficent actually says "Hell" in Sleeping Beauty so it should be acceptable to use this word at Disneyland, too, especially when it is used to refer to a place rather than as an oath
    Xanatos got to say Hell in one of the first episodes of Gargoyles, too, for a much more recent example (and on afternoon kidvid besides!).
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• Fortuosity!

Said Toad and Cyril statue was copied from the WDW version. I'm guessing some of the stuff from Winkie's Pub was too.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride: What the Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    I've never actually seen the "hell" part of the ride. It always fogs up my glasses. ;-)
    This happened to me for the first time last week on a chilly night; second time through I was ready to wipe 'em down right away. As to why, it's so we can share my wife's hot flashes experience according to the boy.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Kingdom Comedian

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    ^^It's been available for almost a year now...it's limited though. You may be able to get it used from Amazon.com.
    It's like 70 bucks used at Amazon...why, oh why didn't I buy it at Disneyland when I saw it this summer?

• always, the freaky cat

Quote Originally Posted by retrodiz View Post
    I know there were significant changes for Peter Pan, but they must have made some pretty wise decisions, because now I couldn't tell you what was different!
    I remember as a kid standing in line for Peter Pan, hearing the audio from the beginning of the ride: "Come on, everyone... here we gooooo!" over and over and over again ... to the point where I became sick of it, and by the time I was on the ride and heard it then, it was a joke. Now you can barely hear it from the queue, and I'm thankful for that!

As for the use of the word "hell," don't forget the whole "hellfire" scene in Hunchback of Notre Dame.

• We're all MAD here!

I love this part of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The first time I went on this ride was back in 2005 (I blame my parents for skipping the Fantasyland dark rides on my first trip back in '85 ).

I had read about the "Inferno" scene but reading about it is no where near the same as seeing it in person that first time. Same goes for the "Train" effect - very cool! I ducked the first time I saw those train lights headed towards me.

My kids love the ride as well and have no problems with the "Inferno" part or "Devil" part as my son calls it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-29-2008, 01:58 AM