Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• whatever

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride: What the Hell?

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is one of my favorites at Disneyland, but I was watching The Wind in the Willows the other day and now I'm not sure as to why you go to hell at the end of the ride; it's definitely not in the original cartoon. Any ideas?

• keh!

Re: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride: What the Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmotion View Post
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is one of my favorites at Disneyland, but I was watching The Wind in the Willows the other day and now I'm not sure as to why you go to hell at the end of the ride; it's definitely not in the original cartoon. Any ideas?

so you can be toasty during the winter and see cute little devils bouncing up and down.

• Cherry Tart

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

We don't refer to it as "hell"......we call it "The Inferno." Gotta keep things Disney-friendly after all. XD

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    so you can be toasty during the winter and see cute little devils bouncing up and down.
    Haha that makes sense, but I wonder if it was just the fact that the ride couldn't be as long as it needed to be for space or money issues, so they just sent Toad to hell or something...

• First Time Disneylander

The Hell section was never in the movie and was just added into the story by imagineers. They talk about it on the Disneyland: Secrets, Stories, and Magic DVD. The Hell section has always been my favorite part of the ride, haha.
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa!

We don't refer to it as "hell"......we call it "The Inferno." Gotta keep things Disney-friendly after all. XD
    haha ok umm let's call it "heck" Anyways, I'm pretty sure it was reffered to as "hell" by imagineers though... The plot of the story was completely changed for the attraction; why would they do that?

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum67 View Post
    The Hell section was never in the movie and was just added into the story by imagineers. They talk about it on the Disneyland: Secrets, Stories, and Magic DVD. The Hell section has always been my favorite part of the ride, haha.
    I'd have to say that this is probably the one of the only attractions at Disneyland where they changed the story... they went from a happy cheerful ending to a sad yet funny ending...

• always, the freaky cat

I've never actually seen the "hell" part of the ride. It always fogs up my glasses. ;-)

• Animatronic

Thank goodness the imagineers actually used their imaginations and didn't follow a plot designed for a passive movie experience! Let's hope they never base rides directly off movies!

• When Will It Return?

They needed a way to end the ride, an an Imagineer thought it would be funny if you got sent to Hell as punishment for all the bad driving.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    They needed a way to end the ride, an an Imagineer thought it would be funny if you got sent to Hell as punishment for all the bad driving.
    Well that seems like a good enough explanation. I like the end of the ride on cold, Winter days as well

• First Time Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmotion View Post
    Well that seems like a good enough explanation. I like the end of the ride on cold, Winter days as well
    Haha, I love it when someone from Southern California or Florida talks about the cold weather. A cold winter day there is like a warm spring day here in New Hampshire, haha.
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

• AP holder 400 miles away

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    I've never actually seen the "hell" part of the ride. It always fogs up my glasses. ;-)
    ROFL!! the same thing happens to me as well

• Banned User

They changed the ending because this climax is much more entertaining. And it makes sense; Mr. Toad drives like a maniac, and finally has a fatal accident.

Those original Fantasyland dark rides were always more about overall effect than storytelling, considering the limited space allocated to each attraction. The theme they stuck with for Mr. Toad was pretty clever; basically one long reckless driving binge with an implied disastrous ending. The movie plot has quite a bit more to it and probably would have been difficult to translate in an interesting way. (The climax is the battle at Toad Hall, followed by a cheerful happy ending.) I've always enjoyed Mr. Toad the way it is; hope they never change it!

Alice in Wonderland is an example of a reworked dark ride that would have been better left alone, in my opinion. In the process of matching it to the movie's story sequence, it lost a lot of its original zaniness and color. (The March of the Cards and the croquet scene just can't compare to weaving your way between whistling, steaming teapots and teetering stacks of crockery on a giant tea table!)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-29-2008, 01:58 AM