Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• =)

Re: Frontierland Expansion

That's not a bad idea at all, DannyB. Whatever were added, it would need to be a lot more focused on the scenery than BTMRR is. I think BTMRR is brilliant, and I never want to see it leave the park, but I wouldn't want another thrill ride put in right across from it, and what you're talking about fits the bill.

I've got it!!

Runaway Stagecoaches! - an outdoor Indy-style ride, not on jeeps but on stagecoaches, you careen down hills and valley, splash through streams and crash through an old barn.

• always, the freaky cat

I believe that when Disneyland opened, they had an occasional runaway stagecoach ride, although the "runaway" part was not intentional--which is why that ride was short-lived.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I would still like to see Western River Expedition.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I've got it!!

Runaway Stagecoaches! - an outdoor Indy-style ride, not on jeeps but on stagecoaches, you careen down hills and valley, splash through streams and crash through an old barn.
    I've had an idea like this for that area for a long time. I actually was thinking it would have it would have both indoor and outdoor scenes and have some slower parts that could have some scene ideas from WRE. Maybe if the Lone Ranger happens and is succesful they'll decide to put some money into something cool for FL. It could use something like this and a couple small attractions too and a walkthrough could be built into the outside paths as well. While not quite as much of a problem as TL for me, FL could defintely use some addtions.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• A Weather Eye Open

I would like to see Cascade Peak rebuilt and the Golden Horseshoe Revue revived (without losing Billy Hill; moving them to the Ranch is a good idea). I'd like the see at least part of the ranch functioning as a BQQ restaurant again; I've heard it was really good. I also agree that it'd be nice to have more of a Native American presence in Fronteirland or Critter Country, but I'm not sure that Pocahontas is the way to do it; the stage show rocked but the movie really is 99% fiction.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't want anything that would change the quiet feel of the Big Thunder Trail.
    We're all used to that tranquil area now, but Frontierland as a whole has been kind of in a lull for the past three decades and would benefit from a bit more visible kinetic energy, so to speak. It had been one of the more active areas of the park, and that's the way Walt Disney liked it. If anybody wants peace and serenity, then just ride the Mark Twain or Columbia--Disneyland doesn't get more tranquil than that outdoors (except for when the former blows its whistle or the latter fires its cannon).

I agree that whatever goes in this area should be more scenic than thrill-based, though. In addition to interfacing with the Rivers of America, it should be carefully integrated with the Disneyland Railroad (if the Big Thunder Ranch area is incorporated), such that all of these attractions will mutually benefit. This is how Frontierland used to be, and it's still possible to make this land even better than it ever was before. There's lots of essentially unused space as well as a large backstage expansion area.

Speaking of which, somewhere in my archive of Disneyland images, I came across an old map of the entire Disneyland Resort that apparently predates the actual construction of DCA and the DLR as a whole:

Aside from the differences between the proposed and actual DCA and DLR, I'm intrigued by the feature that appears in the backstage area to which I just made reference--it's just to the west (left) of Mickey's Toontown and looks kind of like a "thought bubble" that one would find in comics. Back then as now, it's a backstage area that does not appear to be thoroughly utilized, but I wonder what, if anything, had been planned for that area....

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    However, an idea for a ride did occur to me...

It wouldn't be a major e-ticket, but I think would be fun: a railroad hand car ride. Guests would pump the handles up and down to make the car move along the track. A quiet ride, winding around the pond, through a tunnel or two, and through the woods.

Some might think it sounds like too much work, yet Legoland has a number of guest-powered rides that are very popular. The ride could move slowly on its own, but pumping the handles would cause the cars to go faster--not too fast, though. I'm not talking thrill ride.
    That sounds interesting, but in a theme park setting, it's kind of an all-ages version of the kiddie-rides in Camp Snoopy at Knott's (Huff and Puff) and Adventure City (Crank 'n' Roll). I guess it could work, but only if there were multiple means of transportation around the themed area like there used to be (similar to the Rivers of America and Storybook Land in this regard).

By the way, I realize that there appears to be some kind of retro movement going on here and even within WDI, but that's because many people don't appreciate attractions being closed down and not replaced with something better, Tony Baxter being one of them. In the case of Frontierland, there was a replacement, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, but it's a very different kind of attraction that, as great as it is, cannot entirely take the place of what used to be a much larger themed area supporting several attractions.

• AP holder 400 miles away

^^^ i argee with you alot. when disneyland first opened it seemed (only 22 here so goin off just pics and vids i've seen) to be a much more expansive part of the park and housed several more rides. one thing i do miss from even about 10 years ago was the food at the bbq place. it's used to be much better. i would also like to see the mine cart ride back in some form (yes yes i know, i mean BESIDES thunder mountain) that would take you around the back side of frountier land, such as where the house which used to be on fire is. i also enjoyed going to the petting zoo alot. i need to go find the old pics of me there and with the reindeer around christmas time haha.

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    I would like to see Cascade Peak rebuilt
    It seems that everything around that area is just being allowed to rot away, doesn't it? I'd like to bring back the Mike Fink Keelboats, too, which would add some activity to the water without much compromise to the tranquility of the surroundings. For those who really want some peace and quiet, only the Mark Twain plies the river at night (when Fantasmic! isn't playing), using a spotlight to help you see the sights.

By the way, I've always thought that it would be neat to add a ghost legend (independent of the Haunted Mansion) and associated effect to the nighttime river cruises, as the area is just so dark and secluded at night, and trees can be scary.

I'd like the see at least part of the ranch functioning as a BQQ restaurant again; I've heard it was really good.
    It seems that if a restaurant is too good of a value or involves BBQ, it is always subject to closure.

I also agree that it'd be nice to have more of a Native American presence in Fronteirland or Critter Country, but I'm not sure that Pocahontas is the way to do it; the stage show rocked but the movie really is 99% fiction.
    For me, it's not so much the fictional aspects or the fact that it's a cartoon, but the aesthetic of the movie--cool blues and greens of the forest with a vertical motif--just doesn't match up with or complement that of Frontierland. On top of that, although it's less important, the story (as well as the real-life events) took place in 1607, which is a bit early as it predates the United States by quite a bit. Any Native American representation should simply be based on history.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow_sub View Post
    when disneyland first opened it seemed (only 22 here so goin off just pics and vids i've seen) to be a much more expansive part of the park and housed several more rides.
    Frontierland used to occupy the areas now occupied by New Orleans Square and Critter Country, although it should be noted that those areas started out smaller and were expanded by moving the railroad tracks outward and going outside of them. Frontierland also occupied more area that is for the most part unused now--on the whole, it comprised a huge portion of the original area of Disneyland, and was the largest single land back then. It still covers a lot of area, due in large part to the Rivers of America, but is a pale shadow of its former self in some ways.

one thing i do miss from even about 10 years ago was the food at the bbq place. it's used to be much better.
    Speaking more in general, Disneyland is in some ways a "smaller" park than it had been in the past (circa the 1970s). Many things have been added, but even more things have been taken away, especially during the Pressler (SPIT! ) era. It's funny how with lower attendance and prices for everything, the park still had better maintenance and more attraction capacity in the past. While I'm not happy with everything going on now, it sure is nice to see some closed attractions make a comeback instead of just lying dormant. Maybe there's some hope for Frontierland after all, looking beyond the current economic climate.

i would also like to see the mine cart ride back in some form (yes yes i know, i mean BESIDES thunder mountain)
    I wasn't going to say anything.

that would take you around the back side of frountier land, such as where the house which used to be on fire is.
    The formerly burning cabin is actually located in an inaccessible (supposedly ) part of Tom Sawyer Island (in fact everything on the right side of the view from the river is on the island). But regardless, it would be nice to have a place to explore once more on the eastern side of the Rivers of America.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 11-29-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-29-2008, 04:26 PM