Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Why is there a Lego Store In the DLR resort.........

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    ......Isn't that Store promoting Lego Land.................
    Isn't Haagen Das promoting Haagen Das? Jazz Kitchen is promoting Southern food and jazz.

I don't think Lego store is promoting Lego Land. I do think that they ought to have some Lego building of Disney things like Sleeping Beauty Castle or some attractions at Disneyland resort - to tie it all in.....

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    Lego still owns 30% of the parks through Merlin Entertainments, a partnership with The Blackstone Group, a private equity firm. I assume that whatever entity originally operated the Legoland parks still does, albeit under different top-level management. It would be as though The Oriental Land Company, which owns Tokyo Disneyland, bought the Disneyland Resort from The Walt Disney Company, which by the way would be really, really great--Disney, please sell the resort to them.
    This is the correct general idea. LEGO (if we want to get technical with Legos vs. Lego... it is also always spelled in all caps, as is the word LEGOLAND) owned the LEGOLAND parks wholly until a few years ago when it was bought out by Merlin Entertainments Group. LEGO still owns a minority stake in the company. This buyout benefitted both parties, as LEGO wanted to focus on it's toys which, at the time, were experiencing losses in profitability. And the money wasn't bad either . For Merlin, it effectively put them on the map and was a huge jump in their visitors and profitability, as the LEGOLAND parks were growing considerably despite the LEGO companies slowdown in toy profits.

A tidbit some may not know here, Merlin Entertainments Group is the second largest visitor attractions group in the world (first in Europe) second behind only... you guessed it... the one and only Disney. Merlin owns everything from the LEGOLAND parks, to SEA LIFE aquariums, to theme parks and zoos in Europe, the London Eye, the soon to be opened Pepsi Globe (Inspired by the London Eye) to opened in New Jersey overlooking Manhattan, the Madame Tussauds wax figure attractions, and many more smaller attractions (LEGOLAND Discovery centers, etc., etc.). Disney is indeed the standard bearer, however. Interesting stuff!

And as a long-time LEGOLAND employee, they have always taught us to use the term "LEGO bricks" not "Legos"

Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    (if we want to get technical with Legos vs. Lego... it is also always spelled in all caps, as is the word LEGOLAND)
    I know, but it would seem as though I were SHOUTING. I used to be a real stickler for details like this, but after MicroSoft changed to Microsoft and Wal*Mart changed to Walmart, for example, I stopped caring--now I call companies whatever I feel like calling them, including really nasty names when the situation calls for it.

A tidbit some may not know here, Merlin Entertainments Group is the second largest visitor attractions group in the world (first in Europe) second behind only... you guessed it... the one and only Disney. Merlin owns everything from the LEGOLAND parks, to SEA LIFE aquariums, to theme parks and zoos in Europe, the London Eye, the soon to be opened Pepsi Globe (Inspired by the London Eye) to opened in New Jersey overlooking Manhattan, the Madame Tussauds wax figure attractions, and many more smaller attractions (LEGOLAND Discovery centers, etc., etc.). Disney is indeed the standard bearer, however. Interesting stuff!
    It's also amazing how much revenue and profit Disney derives in this industry from relatively few, albeit major, assets. For this, I give their revolving-door management no credit--they're just living off Walt Disney's legacy and hopefully trying not to screw it up from now on.

• Senior Minion

It is amazing how much income Disney brings in compared to its competition. It's not surprising that Universal has made it's Florida parks much more Disney-like. I'm sure they wanted a piece of that.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Walt Disney Fan

I think its funny that when you go to Legoland there big store is smaller than then one at Downtown Disney.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    It's also amazing how much revenue and profit Disney derives in this industry from relatively few, albeit major, assets. For this, I give their revolving-door management no credit--they're just living off Walt Disney's legacy and hopefully trying not to screw it up from now on.
    Agreed! The fact that Disney literally has a handful of Resorts worldwide and can claim the title of Largest Visitor Attraction group in the world (easily, I might add) is quite impressive!

I wonder if the totals include everything under Walt Disney Parks and Resorts (Resort Hotels, Cruise Line, etc.)?

In either case, it is equally impressive nonetheless!

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by jackskeleton1015 View Post
    I think its funny that when you go to Legoland there big store is smaller than then one at Downtown Disney.
    I don't know what the square footage is like in both stores, but when I entered the LEGO store in Downtown Disney it didn't seem bigger and certainly didn't scream "Wow this is huge compared to LEGOLAND" or anything. You could be right, but as far as finding current LEGO sets you'd be hard pressed the find a better selection elsewhere. I'd say they are comparable for LEGO toy. And at LEGOLAND you get the added benefit of other souvenirs (shirts, sweaters, hats, etc). I haven't been in the Downtown Disney store in a while so I'm not sure what's all stocked there these days.

• Senior Minion

Agreed! The fact that Disney literally has a handful of Resorts worldwide and can claim the title of Largest Visitor Attraction group in the world (easily, I might add) is quite impressive!

I wonder if the totals include everything under Walt Disney Parks and Resorts (Resort Hotels, Cruise Line, etc.)?

In either case, it is equally impressive nonetheless!
    I'm not sure how they count those. I wouldn't think you'd count people staying at an on WDW or DLR property resort and going to the parks twice, but I'm not sure if they'd count other resorts and cruises.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    *shakes head*

No, no, no. The Death Star is no longer the biggest LEGO set in existence-that torch has passed to the Ultimate Edition Millennium Falcon.

Millennium Falcon FTW! Yay!
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the lego Taj Mahal set has about 80 more pieces.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Lego makes Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean sets. The way I see it, that's park promotion right there. If they started making Disneyland sets they'd be golden.
    And by the way that huge Lego R2D2 was so rad!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• The line's too long...

Quote Originally Posted by jackskeleton1015 View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, I'd wager that the Legoland Big Shop is at least a little larger. It also has a much more varied selection with clothing and other knick-knacks. The DD Lego store definitely has better stock of Duplos, and I believe that is because Legoland has some of its Duplo supply scattered about the resort's retail outlets, and the Big Shop just sells a lot of Lego at the end of the day making it more challenging to keep well-stocked. The Big Shop does a booming business at the end of every day at Legoland. Disney Lego would sell amazingly I'm sure but I guess the two companies could never come to an agreement.

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    actually my friend there are two businesses in downtown disney(which is actually part of the disneyland resort and is owned by the disney company) that are disney companies: espnzone and disney vault28.
    three. dont forget marceline's confectionary(sp?)

Die Vampire, Die!!!

• Disneyland Goober

Actually if you look up old Lego sets, you'll find they teamed up with Disney before for Duplo Mickey sets. No regular Lego brick sets though. Sounds pretty profitable if you ask me...I find it hard to believe they haven't thought about it before, what with the Dland creations I've seen others showcase. I remember years ago wishing there was park sets...there must be some reason it isn't happening. Maybe they have too many licenses out already, who knows!

By the way, if you want a "main street" type set, the sets they put out created by some great Lego builder guy from Europe (who I believe passed on sadly) reminds me of Main Street USA (minus the shop signs).

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup View Post
    Funny you should mention that cause just the other day I was thinking that there should be Disney Theme Park Edition Lego sets. Freak. That'd be tight.
    You mean the plastic building blocks from Tokyo Disneyland that look just like Lego.

Last edited by MickeyMoose; 12-01-2008 at 07:13 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Lego makes Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean sets. The way I see it, that's park promotion right there. If they started making Disneyland sets they'd be golden.
    And by the way that huge Lego R2D2 was so rad!
    I could be wrong, but aren't Pirates of the Caribbean made by Mega Blocks?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-29-2008, 02:03 AM