Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 52 of 52
  1. #46

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933

    Re: Out of all the Magic Kingdom parks which one has the best Space Mountain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Anyone can come up with a concrete story - the only thing that really matters is whether or not it's true.
    As I recall, Space was closed for a complete rebuild because the track needed to be replaced.

    Because Space Mountain has a tubular track, the easiest way to measure it's worthiness is to keep it pumped up with 100psi of air at all times. If the track gets a stress fracture in it, the pressure drops, an alarm sounds and the attraction automatically gets shut down. The track is then inspected and the stress fracture is welded. The track would then get pumped back up with 100psi and if the weld worked the ride would go back online.

    Unfortunatley, after years of repairs, the damn thing had so many fixes on it that it rode like crap, and eventually it got to the point (April 2003) that TDA (and Imagineering) realized that the tracks useful lifespan had reached an end, and so it was decided that they would close it down and do a complete track change.

    The refurb lasted a little over 2 years, and with Matt Ouimet at the helm, Disneyland poured on the steam (and the overtime hours) in order to reopen Space Mountain 2 days before Disneylands 50th anniversary.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  2. #47

    • Hopper's Mortal Enemy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    973

    Cool Re: Out of all the Magic Kingdom parks which one has the best Space Mountain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    As I recall, Space was closed for a complete rebuild because the track needed to be replaced.

    Because Space Mountain has a tubular track, the easiest way to measure it's worthiness is to keep it pumped up with 100psi of air at all times. If the track gets a stress fracture in it, the pressure drops, an alarm sounds and the attraction automatically gets shut down. The track is then inspected and the stress fracture is welded. The track would then get pumped back up with 100psi and if the weld worked the ride would go back online.

    Unfortunatley, after years of repairs, the damn thing had so many fixes on it that it rode like crap, and eventually it got to the point (April 2003) that TDA (and Imagineering) realized that the tracks useful lifespan had reached an end, and so it was decided that they would close it down and do a complete track change.

    The refurb lasted a little over 2 years, and with Matt Ouimet at the helm, Disneyland poured on the steam (and the overtime hours) in order to reopen Space Mountain 2 days before Disneylands 50th anniversary.
    This is certainly what was being said at the time. In fact, although it was scheduled, the actual close came before the planned date. CMs reported as scheduled one day to work the ride, and it had shut down earlier than expected as I recall. I also recall reading that the added weight of the audio equipment had shortened the lifespan of the track, which is probably why Florida's has managed to last longer.

    A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!


    You've read it; you can't unread it!

  3. #48

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: Out of all the Magic Kingdom parks which one has the best Space Mountain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    As I recall, Space was closed for a complete rebuild because the track needed to be replaced.

    Because Space Mountain has a tubular track, the easiest way to measure it's worthiness is to keep it pumped up with 100psi of air at all times. If the track gets a stress fracture in it, the pressure drops, an alarm sounds and the attraction automatically gets shut down. The track is then inspected and the stress fracture is welded. The track would then get pumped back up with 100psi and if the weld worked the ride would go back online.

    Unfortunatley, after years of repairs, the damn thing had so many fixes on it that it rode like crap, and eventually it got to the point (April 2003) that TDA (and Imagineering) realized that the tracks useful lifespan had reached an end, and so it was decided that they would close it down and do a complete track change.

    The refurb lasted a little over 2 years, and with Matt Ouimet at the helm, Disneyland poured on the steam (and the overtime hours) in order to reopen Space Mountain 2 days before Disneylands 50th anniversary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    This is certainly what was being said at the time. In fact, although it was scheduled, the actual close came before the planned date. CMs reported as scheduled one day to work the ride, and it had shut down earlier than expected as I recall. I also recall reading that the added weight of the audio equipment had shortened the lifespan of the track, which is probably why Florida's has managed to last longer.

    A bientot.
    And we happened to ride Space Mountain on a Sunday, and it closed on a Monday. It was weird.

    Then again, they haven't done any kind of refurb to the ride in 3 years and it's been running all day, every day and it's getting rough again. They are going to pound it into the ground again.


  4. #49

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    690

    Re: Out of all the Magic Kingdom parks which one has the best Space Mountain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The Paris one is radically different than all of them, and probably a huge blast, but it could never take the place of Disneyland's in my heart. Also, I don't think the overhaul it got a few years ago ("Mission 2") has been very well-received.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    Paris' Mission 2 wasn't all that well received because it completely jumbles up the theme of the attraction.
    I'm not sure who you two are refering to with regards to Paris DL's Space Mountain Mission 2 and its "reception". Yes perhaps its theme is jumbled but who cares? That ride is awesome and although it is like apples and oranges, it is by far the best "Space Mountain" that I've ridden.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

  5. #50

    • Hopper's Mortal Enemy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    973

    Cool Re: Out of all the Magic Kingdom parks which one has the best Space Mountain?

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    I'm not sure who you two are refering to with regards to Paris DL's Space Mountain Mission 2 and its "reception". Yes perhaps its theme is jumbled but who cares? That ride is awesome and although it is like apples and oranges, it is by far the best "Space Mountain" that I've ridden.
    I realized after the fact that we really blew it in DLP. Rode during early entry only. It was a bit chilly, so the grease was still thick and sluggish. It wasn't full (and these are full size trains for those unaware) so there wasn't much weight. I've been on enough coasters to know that this will add up to a sub-standard experience, and should've gone again in the afternoon. Music could be louder though.

    A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!


    You've read it; you can't unread it!

  6. #51

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Out of all the Magic Kingdom parks which one has the best Space Mountain?

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    I'm not sure who you two are refering to with regards to Paris DL's Space Mountain Mission 2 and its "reception".
    I'm not sure who I was referring to either. I just seem to recall less-than-positive hubbub on the net back when the changes were made.

    Yes perhaps its theme is jumbled but who cares?
    Ummm...I have no comment, other than to say that I like theme in a theme park.


  7. #52

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    690

    Re: Out of all the Magic Kingdom parks which one has the best Space Mountain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Ummm...I have no comment, other than to say that I like theme in a theme park.
    It is themed, if not perfect in a well told story ala' Jungle Cruise or Indy sort of way. It has sort of a Jules Verne, World's Fair queue and then you blast out of this Jules Verne cannon device in a burst of steam and smoke and hurtle through space at what feels like an incredible speed, passing asteroids and such that is all done really, really well. In fact, I was hoping the interior of DLPs Space Mountain was going to be put into DL's redo of their attraction. But, alas, no such luck. The ride is violent in its abrupt changes of direction as it attempts to avoid space debris and such, but for me I love that sort of thing. Trust me the ride and experience more than makes up for what it lacks in a perfect and cohesive theme and story telling. You just have to ride it for yourself. I was there in the Winter months and the park was relatively empty. We rode it, walked off the exit and rode it again like ten or more times in a row without waiting more than a minute or two to board the ride vehicle. It is one of my best memories of DLP, a park that is really beautiful. I'm getting excited just thinking about it again!
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 11-30-2008, 10:51 AM

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Is Magic Kingdom the smallest of the 4 parks?
    By kcnole in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
  2. RCT2 Disneyland/California Adventure/Magic Kingdom Parks
    By ohiolandshark in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 12:16 AM
  3. TDL's upgraded Space Mountain vs. DLR's Space Mountain
    By ChrisFL in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 06:57 PM
  5. It's Official: Magic Mountain (and 5 other parks) are for sale:
    By sir clinksalot in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 02:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •