Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,238

    Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    'Tis the season, so I've decided to make a wishlist for one of Disneyland's coolest attractions, because I think it deserves some love

    1) The elevator to get the same upgrades as Walt Disney World.

    2) The loading area to have something more going on. Many fans call for a library. Something would be nice. Depending on how the bright lighting is, the "deep black void" is not terribly convincing (IMO).

    3) Constance needs a makeover. I love the concept of her being there, I love the backstory, but good grief, there's something just off about that projection. I'm not sure what it is. I always feel it looks like she has a wrinkly neck (and upon closer inspection of pictures, I'm starting to think what's supposed to be there is a pearl choker). Walt Disney World's Constance looks magnificent, just from the videos I can find on youtube. Imagineers, whatever you guys did differently for Florida's Constance, give ours the same treatment!

    4) HATBOX GHOST! Which is looking up, with all the rumors spreading.

    5) New scrims in the graveyard (at least for the ones that have gotten some wear and tear).

    6) CLEAN UP THE GUM/SPITWADS! Oye. This could be said for more than one attraction. I feel especially bad for Mara.

    7) Interactive hitchhiking ghosts! It's a cool concept.


    Add points for Haunted Mansion's wishlist here, and discuss

  2. #2

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    I say no to the interactive HHGs, but everything else sounds marvelous, though I wouldn't mind it if they simply turned the lights in the loading area way down.

    The HUGE one I'd put on my own list, however, would be for me to actually get to ride the Haunted Mansion - the real Haunted Mansion, not HMH - between the months of September and January. That'd be really, really nice.


  3. #3

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,477

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    To the obvious choices, I'd add: Bring back an outdoor graveyard for the queue. I know they can't/won't bring back the original, but at least bring back the berm graveyard. I want to see Phineas Pock's headstone, dadgummit.

  4. #4

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,894
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I say no to the interactive HHGs, but everything else sounds marvelous, though I wouldn't mind it if they simply turned the lights in the loading area way down.

    The HUGE one I'd put on my own list, however, would be for me to actually get to ride the Haunted Mansion - the real Haunted Mansion, not HMH - between the months of September and January. That'd be really, really nice.
    I hope the HMH returns, as much as I love HM, the Holiday is just much better. Much more to look at and just cooler, though I would like some new effects to the mansion for its B-Day!

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    741

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    8. Scarier graveyard pop-up ghosts, like they used to have (bring back the shrieks, the more decayed look, and the speed obviously)

    The original pop-up in front of the graveyard band:



    This is the current type that can be seen in front of the band:


    9. It would be nice to have the April/December portrait back, but I realize it doesn't work very well with the current technology

    10. Singing busts upgrade like at WDW

    11. Ghost Host audio upgrade like at WDW

    12. Dispose of Spanish spiel (unlikely I know)

    13. Maybe a blast of air to help strengthen illusion of hitchhiker entering Doom Buggy

    14. New policy to shut up the people doing the Ghost Host script
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 11-29-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: shpadoinkle

  6. #6

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I hope the HMH returns, as much as I love HM, the Holiday is just much better.
    Is it better? Or do you like it more? They mean different things.

    Much more to look at
    Yup...lots more distractions and stylistic confusion between two very different aesthetics, one of which relies largely on painted flats with black lights, and the other of which can be seen yearround... There's also a lot more to look at because the lights are brighter, illuminating lots of ceiling tiles and backstage areas and black walls that you're not supposed to be able to see. Much more to look at indeed!

    The original Haunted Mansion has stylistic unity working in its favor. It doesn't go all-out all the time, using subtlety in some scenes instead of blunt force. Several of the gags make a LOT more sense than in the HMH version, simply because they weren't designed with HMH in mind (e.g. the giant Jack head above the stretching room and the presents floating in your doom buggies). And if you dislike the whole Nightmare Before Christmas aesthetic in the first place, it's pretty hard to enjoy an attraction based on it.


  7. #7

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,238

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    As long as Disney makes it's grand Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise sales, I don't think Haunted Mansion Holiday is going anywhere...

  8. #8

    • Legends never die...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    20 Mins. from the DLR
    Posts
    267

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post

    9. It would be nice to have the April/December portrait back, but I realize it doesn't work very well with the current technology

    10. Singing busts upgrade like at WDW

    11. Ghost Host audio upgrade like at WDW
    What is the April/December portrait? And what are these WDW upgrades? I have not been, but from what I can see the busts appear the same to me. Is it an voice upgrade/change? If so, I am very much against it.

    14. New policy to shut up the people doing the Ghost Host script
    oops...

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber
    Posts
    558

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    Sounds all good to me!

    I don't know about the Hatbox Ghost, though. I think he would feel kind of "forced in." Plus, I don't see how the effect could work well with the rate the Doombuggies move.
    Last edited by Maleficent Fan; 11-30-2008 at 05:11 PM.


    CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

    With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan


    disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

  10. #10

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,137

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    To the obvious choices, I'd add: Bring back an outdoor graveyard for the queue. I know they can't/won't bring back the original, but at least bring back the berm graveyard. I want to see Phineas Pock's headstone, dadgummit.
    The berm graveyard would be much welcome. It seems like a no-brainer, really.

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    'Tis the season, so I've decided to make a wishlist for one of Disneyland's coolest attractions, because I think it deserves some love

    1) The elevator to get the same upgrades as Walt Disney World.

    2) The loading area to have something more going on. Many fans call for a library. Something would be nice. Depending on how the bright lighting is, the "deep black void" is not terribly convincing (IMO).

    3) Constance needs a makeover. I love the concept of her being there, I love the backstory, but good grief, there's something just off about that projection. I'm not sure what it is. I always feel it looks like she has a wrinkly neck (and upon closer inspection of pictures, I'm starting to think what's supposed to be there is a pearl choker). Walt Disney World's Constance looks magnificent, just from the videos I can find on youtube. Imagineers, whatever you guys did differently for Florida's Constance, give ours the same treatment!

    4) HATBOX GHOST! Which is looking up, with all the rumors spreading.

    5) New scrims in the graveyard (at least for the ones that have gotten some wear and tear).

    6) CLEAN UP THE GUM/SPITWADS! Oye. This could be said for more than one attraction. I feel especially bad for Mara.

    7) Interactive hitchhiking ghosts! It's a cool concept.


    Add points for Haunted Mansion's wishlist here, and discuss
    Hopefully we'll see some great enhancements for the 40th. Disney is already hinting at another groom for Constance in the 40th Anniversary merch event web site... Is this an early confirmation of the Hat Box Ghost's return? I sure hope so.

    I don't know about the interactive hitchhiking ghosts. I'd prefer to not hear the ghosts talk, and I feel that making them "interactive" would default automatically to recorded lines like Roz in Monsters Inc. No thanks to that.

    I really like the concept of the current loading area (limbo). I just wish there was a way to make the concept work better. But if a new scene must be added, I really hope it isn't a grand staircase that so many hope for. We already have staircases -- the doombuggies go up (and down) them in the load area.. adding more wouldn't make sense --- it would seem like a mistake instead of disconcerting and haunting like the new haunted stairs scene in WDW's Mansion.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  11. #11

    • hatbox ghost believer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ventura, CA USA
    Posts
    549

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    I'm looking forward to the return of our long-missed friend in the attic. I agree the WDW enhancements would be justified & beloved in the DLR version (the stretch room effect sounds fabulous). I would love April/December to return (but I agree, I don't know how they could make that one work with the lightning flash effect in place- she'd have to go directly from April to December to work). I think if done right, we could get either the WDW staircase effect (especially the eyes effect!)- maybe the load area becomes a library or it just becomes the Escher staircase (something for people to be mesmerized by whilst they load their doombuggies) or maybe even a PM load area (it looks great & could work easily IMO) to replace the much-maligned (and quite boring) load area we've always had. As for Constance, a 2.0 upgrade would be nice, but HBG return is much more important IMO. I'd like to see more blast-up ghosts rather than pop-up myself (in both the attic & the graveyard). I also vote for no interactive HHG.

    Fingers, arms and legs crossed wishing for HBG return!!!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com



  12. #12

    • 1 of 5DQ
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Phoenix - also known occasionally as the surface of the sun
    Posts
    17

    Sad Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    14. New policy to shut up the people doing the Ghost Host script
    BUSTED!!!! Oh well......

    But, wait a minute, tell me that you have NEVER done it?????

  13. #13

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    I can stand (and sometimes almost enjoy) people co-narrating for "no windows and no doors", "to find a way out", and "there's always my way." But on the whole, I really wish people would just let the original performance stand by itself.

    As long as Disney makes it's grand Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise sales, I don't think Haunted Mansion Holiday is going anywhere...
    Sad but true, pineapplewhipaddict.


  14. #14

    • Cranky Dragon is Cranky
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    826

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    I'm the only person in the universe (or at least on Mice Chat) who doesn't care about getting Hatbox Ghost, aren't I?

    What I would like is to see the graveyard get some love, and for the Spanish spiel to be redone with a creepier voice.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

    Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

  15. #15

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,796

    Re: Wishlist for Haunted Mansion's 40th

    My list:

    1) Attic pop-up heads make a return, at least one

    2) Do something with the loading area, like has been said...a library scene with more portraits, so April/December could come back maybe as a still painting, and some others of the Phantom 11 from Disneyworld.

    3) New elevator effects from Disneyworld, and the projection eye wallpaper effect that leads into the corridor of doors.

    4) Cold air blasts at points like the graveyard entry, and the CoD

    5) Hatbox Ghost!

    6) Exterior graveyard and small pond as well with some statuary, ghostly faces that appear in it...this was a proposed effect at some point for the Mansion exterior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary Event?
    By Rocker in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 10:07 PM
  2. What would you like to see at the Haunted Mansion 40th??
    By Walt Jr. in forum Merchandise Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 12:06 PM
  3. [Question] Haunted mansion 40th anniversary
    By jennowned in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 12:30 PM
  4. [Question] Haunted Mansion 40th Birthday?
    By Lady Constance Gracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 02:23 PM
  5. What Are Your Spooky Ideal Enhancements for The Haunted Mansion's Refurb
    By Micoofy Duck in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 07:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •