• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Walt Disney and Frank Sinatra

I was watching tonight's episode of California's Gold and Huell Howser was touring Frank Sinatra's estate in Rancho Mirage. One of the areas of the estate he visited was a model train room. I never knew this, but Frank Sinatra was an avid lover of model trains. And, as most of us know, Walt Disney had a slight infatuation with model trains as well.

What I was wondering to those of you who may be studied in the lives of Walt Disney and/or Frank Sinatra, is were Walt Disney and Frank Sinatra friends with one another due to this connection with model trains?

To be honest with you, even though they shared this connection I'm not too sure they would have been very close. I'm sure maybe they met once or twice, but hanging around as best buddies I just can't see. After all Frank Sinatra's form of entertainment certainly was much more "R-rated" than Walt probably would have preferred.
    But on the other hand, Sammy Davis, Jr was at DL's opening, and Sammy Davis and Frank Sinatra were very close. So maybe Walt and Frank were also fairly close friends, enough for them to hang out together on occassion.

So what do you think? Or even better, what do you know about this?

Mods if you feel you need to move this then go ahead. I just thought this forum was most appropriate due to the train thing.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Walt Disney and Frank Sinatra

Well, Walt had property in Palm Springs around the same time that all the other Hollywood stars of the time did, so its possible they knew each other and could of visited with each other. The Palm Springs area in the 40's and 50's was a much smaller, more relaxed place than it is now. Although like you said, I'm sure they didn't pal around on a regular basis.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I am looking up something right now, but I don't really think there is any connection between him and Sinatra.

AS for model trains, I looked it up on-line, and he did keep a collection of model trains in his caboose, and yes, he was a train fanatic.

I've also heard that he did attend the opening of Disneyland in 1955.

• Minion

Frank and Sammy are both riding Autopia on opening day in the TV broadcast "Dateline Disneyland". Here is Frank with Frank Jr. (reportedly a childhood friend of Diane Disney).

http://www.varley.net/Pages/VarleyYa...0and%20Jr..jpg

• Goofy

wow thats pretty interesting.

• Beach Expert

Thanks MJ. I forgot about that.

But still I wonder how close they were. As I have stated they had model trains in common. On the other hand, Walt definitely was not a part of the Rat Pack.

Francis Albert was the Chairman of the Board of the Rat Pack, but Walt was the boss of the Mickey Mouse Club! ( I couldn't resist). :-)

• Walt Disney Fan

In all the books I've read about Walt Disney its never said that Walt Disney knew met or was friends with Frank Sinatra.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

• The Dudester

Frank also makes a cameo in the First 50 Magical Years film in the Opera house. It's a clip of him shaking hands with a reporter while riding Autopia during the Grand Opening.

• I'll pencil this in later

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Frank and Sammy are both riding Autopia on opening day in the TV broadcast "Dateline Disneyland". Here is Frank with Frank Jr. (reportedly a childhood friend of Diane Disney).

Wow, very cool. Two of my absolute favorite men of the time period. It would be very cool if there was a connection, I haven't heard of one though. I knew Sinatra came to opening day, I didn't know he also had a fascination with trains, like Walt though. Awesome Thread!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Walt Disney had a home in Palm Springs, chances are the two met up in the desert as well as back in town for awards shows and events. Walt visited his studio for the last time the day before he went to Palm Springs near the end of his life.

In happier days, not the Rat Pack but here's Walt with a couple of other swells:

Stan Laurel, WD, Producer Hal Roach and Oliver Hardy
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Mrs. J. Depp

Good lord, Frank Sinatra was involved in some serious business with the mafia. I sure hope our dear Walt was not associated with him!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Disney Pinapple Princess

Holy Crap... ...(for those of us "Ocean 13" Fans) He shook Sinatra's Hand!!!! At least we know that if they were friends, or even if they weren't, Walt may have been "protected"
    *** Disney Pinapple Princess *** Cove Bar Crew - DCA** HELL YEAH!!!***
    [IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4e8xunrnijrm.png[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Disney Dorks of the world unite!

• Beach Expert

Here is Frank with Frank Jr. (reportedly a childhood friend of Diane Disney).
    Wait a second...

If Frank Sinatra Jr. and Diane Disney were friends, then perhaps Walt and Frank knew each other more than just casual acquaintences? I'm just insinuating there, though. I have no idea.