Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Old Timer

I honestly do not think it gave anybody the idea of it being a future based ride ever, it was more like an adventure that even nowadays is expensive as a ride (private submarine tours) and that has always been a road of exploration of our planet that is the last frontier.
    The concept of a ride in a submarine is good immersion (pun intended) plus it has a historical anchor to one of Disney's more cinematic achievements 20K Leagues Under the Sea released oh so many years ago.

Immersion into space rides may be in the future, matter of fact I have recently read Red Mars and just now starting on Green Mars and will finish the trilogy of Blue Mars. These are mass paperback scifi bestsellers that cronicle the terraforming, colonization, and the future of Mars as it evolves while Earth becomes uninhabitable because of our drain upon natural resources and the effects civilation has had upon the climate, the aftereffects of massive global warming and such.

Which kinda makes me more interested in the dramatic weather changes happening across the US, tornadoes in CA, arctic weather in the plains, a drier Seattle and last but not least the extreme rise in temperature where I live up here in Alaska. its becoming more moderate in our winters, no more of the -50 and -65 winters, the coldest has been a few days around -15 to -20 plus we are getting more rain and the summers are actually getting well over 85 degrees!

What does all of this have to do with submarines? If the worlds oceans rise, which they are...and we cannot easily migrate off planet en mass then the logical step would be to construct floating cities and underwater harvesting, mining and research centers. The earth may never become a "Waterworld" but with 85% of the population living along the low area coasts it inevitable that either we retreat to high ground or adapt.

So 50 years down the road, Disneyland is celebrating its 100th anniversary, would a submarine ride about fish and turtles be popular as it was now? And if DL is still above water would a ride or show being more suggestive of a future where sub travel is as common as commuting from one undersea habitat to another? When the atmosphere becomes unbreathable or the ozone layer has broken down to the point that being exposed on the surface is fatally dangerous then where to?

There is another diection the imagineers can take, similar to the SeaQuest idea. Or the ride can stay in history like an Atlantis theme, or fantasy like in Nemo, but however the Subs are more in TL so its suggestive of playing upon a futurity based theme, logically you would think.... :confused:
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Hero-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    These are mass paperback scifi bestsellers that cronicle the terraforming, colonization, and the future of Mars as it evolves while Earth becomes uninhabitable because of our drain upon natural resources and the effects civilation has had upon the climate, the aftereffects of massive global warming and such.

Which kinda makes me more interested in the dramatic weather changes happening across the US, tornadoes in CA, arctic weather in the plains, a drier Seattle and last but not least the extreme rise in temperature where I live up here in Alaska. its becoming more moderate in our winters, no more of the -50 and -65 winters, the coldest has been a few days around -15 to -20 plus we are getting more rain and the summers are actually getting well over 85 degrees!
    Now this is where things would get dangerous for Disney - toeing the line, you might say. For one thing, many or most supporters of free industry believe that any current weather changes are simply normal cyclical changes that the Earth's atmosphere goes through over long periods of time. To say that global warming is an indisbutable fact would thrust Disney into the world of politics - something they have attempted to avoid for a long time, because of possible alienation of half of America.

The other problem is that to suggest that the future will be cataclysmic is to go against everything that Tomorrowland is supposed to stand for. Sure, it says something about the fortitude of the human spirit...but Tomorrowland is supposed to be about mankind pulling his act together in the near future to make a Great Big Wonderful Tomorrow. The explorational theme works, sure, but it would work even better if it was about the discovery of something important that we didn't previously know about deep under the water. THAT actually fits into the Tomorrowland theme.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    While I appreciate the thought of people trying to preserve the idea of Tomorrowland, can anyone please tell me how the original attraction was any more futuristic?
    The ocean is our past, present, and our future. You never know, we may find some of those things that were in the submarine voyage in real life.

I agree that at least there is finally something being done to the sub lagoon. Be thankful that our subs will be working again compared to Florida having their lagoon filled up and being used for a meet and greet area for pooh.

I can see Disney using the Finding Nemo characters for some kind of educational look into the oceans of the world. Now I know this will not appeal to many adults but it would be a great learning tool for kids.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lyd
    I agree that at least there is finally something being done to the sub lagoon. Be thankful that our subs will be working again compared to Florida having their lagoon filled up and being used for a meet and greet area for pooh.

I can see Disney using the Finding Nemo characters for some kind of educational look into the oceans of the world. Now I know this will not appeal to many adults but it would be a great learning tool for kids.
    because if there's one thing Epcot teaches us, it's that the kids love the learnin'.

Put simply, Nemo is a copout. It just shows once again that Disney doesn't have any faith in its creative team, doesn't have any faith in what Disneyland set out to be 50 years ago.

About the most Nemo should ever have to do with the subs is having Dory as our narrator. the same approach made World of Energy a revitalized ride. Or, as I've suggested before, go with a more futuristic exploratory theme and redo the ride with a Life Aquatic makeover, as we discover all sorts of new life that might exist in the 90% or so of the world's oceans that are yet unexplored. And again, have Bill Murray narrate so that you're getting a comic adventure AND an underwater world of eyecandy at once. why sacrifice such a unique storytelling environment just to build another Fantasyland darkride?
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever
    I think disney owns exclusive rights to all the charaters, etc from the Pixar movies. This was one of the reasons that Steve Jobs wanted to re-negotiate...
    I think Jobs just wants to negotiate because he thinks Eisner is out of the picture soon. Most of his personal issues off the record were not directly with Disney, but their business practices, and low bidding policies. Pinch a penny- lose a client.

Quote Originally Posted by imagineer boy
    Well, I hope they do it right, but please NO NEMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    One thing I can almost promise, the name of the attraction won't be "Submarine Voyage"

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Ascendant
    To say that global warming is an indisbutable fact would thrust Disney into the world of politics
    I don't think that's the idea. If they get attacked for putting global warming in a ride plot, they can just release a statement saying that the attraction is fiction and carry on.

• Tour Ship Pilot

Great if this goes through but Nemo??? hopefully common sense will pervail and provide something with some spectacle ala Atlantis:The Lost Empire or 20,000 Leagues. Both are better suited to a sub adventure and would leave behind my personal favorite section,Atlantis and the valcano eruptions
    REMOVE TAG BEFORE FLIGHT

• Original Mice-Chatter

I think Nemo will be great- and all the naysayers can go ride something else so I can enjoy my subs again

• Hero-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by RX-24
    Great if this goes through but Nemo??? hopefully common sense will pervail and provide something with some spectacle ala Atlantis:The Lost Empire or 20,000 Leagues. Both are better suited to a sub adventure and would leave behind my personal favorite section,Atlantis and the valcano eruptions
    Here, here! That's what I've been saying all along. Those themes are much more, well, immersive. Atlantis in particular has potential for a really strong ride experience. Could you imagine the wonder/choral music playing as you plunge through the water, the glowing blue eyes of ancient metallic sculptures peering out at you from the other side of a huge bubble viewport as you search for Plato's mythical lost city?

It might not be a really strong movie, but it would make a heck of a ride.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Wench
    Good to know. I hope the Nemo overlay goes over well. Not very futuristic.

The OC Family Magazine has a artical about Disneyland's 50th. On page 66 on whats new for Disneyland, this is what is says about the subs, " In the area that used to house the submarine rides, there are plans for the Little Mermaid attraction." I just thought I whould share this with you all since everyone talks about how Finding Nemo is coming soon.

• Hedonist

This thread title makes me think of Mermaid Go-Go Dancers atop the subs - that would be cool.

Bring back the Mermaids!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I'd bet that if this was a Fantasyland ride nobody would think twice about the Nemo theme.
    I agree, the Nemo theme is inappropriate for Tomorrowland, but we've got to realize that nothing in Tomorrowland is futuristic anymore. Disney tried to get rid of the Futuristic theme a long time ago when they gave us Tomorrowland 1998 ("the future that never was" theme) ..That theme wasnt meant to be futuristic.. it was supposed to be fantastic and sci-fi ...nevermind the fact it didnt necessarily all work out as Disney had hoped... but still...

Would all of you complain if they "moved" the Subs to Fantasyland like they did the Matterhorn years ago? I wouldn't, actually I think it would be a little wise... Subs arent a groundbreaking thing anymore.. theyre common knowledge... People arent going to immediately think of the future when they see the subs working again... and when they see Nemo swimming by them, theyre definately not going to think Future... Maybe the subs should be moved to Fantasyland...

Yes?
    No?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascendant
    As dissapointing as Disney's Atlantis was, I think it would be a much more potent concept for the overlay, as well as having direct links to the old attraction. The film had some fantastic visuals with its combination of advanced ancient technology and handcrafted living sculptures. The movie might have not been up to snuff, but I would sure like to visit some of the environments in it.
    I have been thinking the same thing. It is a shame that Atlantis didn't go over too well, as it would deffinately fit the theme of Tomorrowland better than Nemo.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast