Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• 1375 miles away

Re: It's Gonna Be A Long One! Our Trip Report Nov. 9-23, 2008

November 18, 2008

This morning we had a little side trip to take. We were taking DS for a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class to help ease his withdrawals from not having attended his 4 day a week classes. I would have preferred for DD and I to go to DL while DH took him but DH had other plans and requested that we go. I really think that DS liked us going with them too. We did end up enjoying going. DD woke up with a minor sore throat again and did not really want to go but DH bribed her by promising to buy her a new toy went we got back to DL later in the day so she agreed. She is such a push over.

We called Sunday, a driver we have used in the past, and requested he pick us up in time to get us to the class that started at 10:30 in Torrance. He arrived and got us to the Gracie Academy right on time. This is a really cool place because the Gracie’s are basically the founders of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. They even have a small museum which covers the Gracie family over the years. The family member who get the most for developing the specifics is in his 90s and still rolls.

They have a super huge and nice gym full of a bunch of nice guys, and a few gals. We actually remembered Victor from last year. DS started out rolling with a female black belt. He is a blue belt so he did not beat her but he gave her a really good fight and she did not submit him either before their time ran out. She made sure to put the next blue belt out ASAP. From there he rolled with one white belt, several blue belts and a few brown and purple belts. Right before class ended the instructor came over and rolled with him to check out his skills. He was pretty tired by the end of class but at least he got to get some of his pent up energy out.

For anyone who doesn't know a thing about Jiu-Jitsu it is a form of martial art and a combative sport that focuses on grappling and ground fighting. They teach a lot of very affective techniques involving locks and chokes which lead to an end result of the opponent's submission. I or my DH never imagined that our lives would ever include, much less basically revolve around such a sport. It has been a positive journey for us. We were lucky to have found an excellent instructor with a school full of a bunch of great guys. The classes themselves not only have improved his game but they are excellent for promoting self discipline and improving self esteem. Our DS has a passion for the sport so we a have been more than happy that he has found something he has a skill for and loves so much. Not only does he take classes but he also currently assists teaching children's classes. He plans to achieve the rank of black belt and open his own school in the future.

DD even took classes for awhile but she is more like her father and I and doesn't really like pain all that much so she is taking a break for awhile. I am thinking art class may be more along her line!

Our driver had hung around and waited for us so we all loaded up and headed back to our home away from home. When we got back we watched a little tv. I watched my soap opera for the first time since we had been gone. Emma fell asleep and finally woke up about 4:00. She was immediately ready to head back to the park. We stopped off at the Cold Stone Creamery and got some cones of their wonderful ice cream. We dropped a tip in their cup and they proceeded to serenade us with a song. “High Ho! High Ho! We love to take your dough!” We loved it! Just another good reason to like this place! Good sweet stuff and entertainment too!

Our next stop was in DTD at the World of Disney to pick out the toy that she had been promised. I took the opportunity to do my shopping while we were already in the store.

I took a pics of holiday merchandise just for you Sherry! Of course, it's a little late now!

I picked up a pen to replace one for our autograph book, a mouse hand hot pad for our oldest DD, a new large slouch bag so I could carry everything, a few new pins for DD to trade, the newly released Wall-E DVD and a yours-for-only-$15-with-a-$50-purchase-holiday-throw that I also gave to oldest DD for Christmas. DD, of course, couldn’t find anything in the entire store because she was determined to make me walk all the way to the Rain Forest Café for a tiger that she had seen the day we ate there. Nothing is ever simple! Of course, we spent another 15 minutes of her changing her mind about just which toy she wanted before we could finally head into the park. On our way back through DTD, I remembered that I needed to pick up our tickets for our tour in the morning. Guest services was already closed but thankfully, they were able to help me at one of the ticket booths. I was also able to pick up our PS tickets for Fantasmic on Friday night and got a $50 gift card while I was there for the oldest DD.

Finally, we made it INTO the park for our first time today at 6:00pm! We went straight to Pirates for a 2 minute wait.

Then on to HM. DH and DS decided to go ride Splash so DD and I went on a late night Jungle Cruise. We met back up with the guys and watched the Tiki Room show.

DS was in a good enough mood to sing some "In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, room!"

DS was already wanting to go back to the room since they had already spent some time in CA while we were shopping. His attention span for spending time with the family had dropped dramatically since Alex had left. DH managed to talk him into riding a few more rides with us as I was wanting to stay until 8:00 so we could at least spend a measly 2 hours in the park. We headed into Fantasyland where we went for a quick trip on Mr Toad. Hell was pretty hot so we all warmed up from the night air. Then we rode the Teacups. DS decided to ride in his own cup so he could see how fast he could spin. Since it was right there, we managed to get DS on Alice which didn’t turn out to be so bad because there were these cute teenage girls in front of us. By the time we got off the park had closed so we made our way back to our room.

I ordered in Chinese food. The tv was finally fixed so we ate while we tried to watch Prince Caspian…. until DD and I fell asleep again before it was over. Luckily, I have already pre-ordered it so we can finally see how it ends!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

• Off to Neverland

Re: It's Gonna Be A Long One! Our Trip Report Nov. 9-23, 2008 Updated 12/07!

Quote Originally Posted by mariezp View Post

I really like those ears!

• mountains beyond mtns.

Re: It's Gonna Be A Long One! Our Trip Report Nov. 9-23, 2008 Updated 12/07!

mariezp, thank you so much for the mega huge TR!

While we would all agree that DLR is one of our favorite places to visit, it's always interesting to see how others spend their time there. We all have our own unique experiences there and yet we all love the place equally the same. Moreover, I'm sure that even a lot of us AP'ers/locals would LOVE to spend as many consecutive days at DLR as you and your family!

I'm especially glad to see that you went to the Animation Building in DCA as I feel it's terribly underrepresented in our TR's. Were you able to attend an Animation Academy workshop by any chance? I don't go as often as I should but it is one of my favorite things to do in DCA.

I look forward to reading the rest of your TR! Thank you for sharing with us!

• 1375 miles away

SingingAngel7242, thanks for the comment on DD's Mickey ears. She was really proud of them so you really made her day!

brand42, You are certainly welcome! It's a lot of fun sharing the things we did and photos with other people. Glad you liked it! I am not so sure if there are a LOT of people who would like to spend as many days as we do. Every time I tell someone how long we go they look at me like I am looney! But that's okay because we love it anyway!

Yes, we do love the Animation Building and most every other underrated attraction or show. With our extended stay we are able to take the park at a leisurely pace and explore stuff that other people never have time to appreciate. We actually did get to do the Animation Academy 3 times this trip because my DD loves to draw so much. At the end of one of the shows the artist gave DD the picture he had drawn with us. That was pretty cool!

Stay tuned... I am working on a BIG update!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• 1375 miles away

To make up for the lack of Disneyland in the last installment I’ve got an abundance to bring you today!

November 19, 2008

This morning we were up bright and early! We are scheduled to take the Walk in Walt’s Footsteps Tour at 9:30. We are supposed to arrive at least 10 minutes early which seems kinda odd because the park does not even open until 10:00. Oh well, we’re just going to do what we were told. I actually was able to get everybody up and out the door on time! No small feat for this bunch! On the way out, there were picketers at our hotel. We saw another batch at another hotel on Harbor yesterday. It looks like there are an abundance of disgruntled employees in the area.

We arrived before opening and were directed to gate 6 where we met with the other people who would be taking the tour. A CM came out with a lunch menu which we looked over and then she took our order so it would be ready at the end of our tour. Then after a short wait, we were ushered into the park which was totally empty. It was very neat and I doubt I will ever get a chance to see the park like that again.

Heck with all the excitement, I even got to be the first one in the restroom that morning! I was directed to the restrooms just on the other side of City Hall that I had never even noticed before. After all the ladies returned from the restroom, we gathered into our group where we met our tour guide Lani and were all given a tag to show that we were a part of the tour group. I was very pleased because our group was small, only 11 people and also by the fact that Lani spoke in a very clear voice.

We started out by heading over to the flag pole where she told us details such as how tall it was, etc. I have a memory like a steel... sieve so my details are going to be rather sketchy! BUT I did take pictures to prove we were there!

Next stop was the Fire Station. She talked about the apartment above and told some stories about Lillian and Walt. Then she went into some other details about the station.

Then we headed up or down Main Street whichever you would call it. Along the way Lani pointed out little details about different things. She talked about some of the windows and some of the stores.

Then we went into the theatre and she gave us some background information on some of the movies that were playing. DD liked watching the old movies.

Next we headed towards the Partners statue. The park was just about to open so she had us turn around to watch all the people lined up for rope drop. We had a good laugh at the stampede that was created and coming right towards us.

I saw this guy at the popcorn cart near the hub. Isn't he so cute!

Lani talked about the statue and the castle and the layout of the park. I took the opportunity to take pictures while I was listening.

From there we went to Adventureland.

Next up was to go take a ride on the Jungle Cruise. We lined up at the exit to wait to board our boat. It just so happened to also be the handicapped loading area. It was very obvious who were first timers in the park because we had numerous people try to get into line with us because they did not know where to find the entrance. So while we waited we entertained ourselves directing traffic, reading signs and of course, taking more pictures.

Our skippers name was Jay and he was the best one of our entire trip.

After our Jungle Cruise we headed towards NOS. Along the way I spotted an elusive LGMH! I asked if she was a Diser and of course she was. It was BC Disney Lover. I only had time enough to ask her screen name and then I had to rush off to keep up with the tour. Lani stopped off in front of the former Disney Gallery/Disney Suite and went into a little detail about the apartment.

Can you guess where we went from there? Club 33! How about that! We paused at the door where she talked about some things in NOS and waited for the door to open. Then we were let into the lobby. Man, it is really dark inside so my pictures did not come out too good.

Next we headed through the streets of New Orleans towards the train station.

We ran into a bunch of pirates who chit chatted with us and then they sang a very short birthday song to a member of our group who just happened to be wearing a birthday button.

Lani asked if anyone needed to go to the restroom and told us to wait right there while she went to secure seats on the train for us. So we did what anyone else would do... we stood around acting like crazy nuts.

As it turns out she was inquiring into whether or not we could ride the Lilly Belle but wouldn't you know it they were doing some sort of inspection at the current time. She did get us seats on the train... just no ride on the Lilly Belle.

We took the train around to Toontown Station. There she talked to us about the changes coming to Small World and other things in the area.

Then we made our way to Fantasyland where she talked about the different rides and the castle.

We cut through Snow White’s Grotto.

Next we headed in front of the castle where we were treated to stepping into the wedding garden. Just as we got there, Lani pointed out the dream Squad over to the side of the castle so we ran over and got a pair of dream ears. She gave us a little more info about the castle, weddings and the garden.

[IMG][/IMG]

Doggon it! I wish this picture had not come out so dark!

When we went to leave the gate fell off it's hinges. We has a good laugh about how DH had tried to break the gate!

Next we passed through Frontierland where she shared more tidbits and talked about the Golden Horseshoe.

I wonder where else besides Disneyland can you find a fully Christmas decorated popcorn cart? Aaah, the little details!

We back tracked towards Adventureland where the guys grabbed us a Dole whip just before we went into the Tiki Room.

After the show we were asked to remain seated. Lani and a couple of the CMs who worked in the Tiki Room shared some details with us and we got to meet Ophelia, one of the flowers from the show. I think the Tiki Room was our favorite part of the tour!

From there we headed back down Main Street. Lani stopped in front of the train station and thanked us. We thanked her and she said goodbye just after she led us into the seating area in the tour gardens where our lunch was waiting for us.

I didn’t want to give away too many details so as not to spoil anyone’s upcoming tour but you can get an idea of just what ground is covered during the tour. I can tell you that it was a great tour. Even DH said it was the best tour we have ever taken. DD was a little fidgety in the beginning but she kept up well and did not create any disturbances. The lunch menu was the only thing that we found disappointing and that was solely because it was very limited. There was no good choice for DD and unless you love sandwiches you are just out of luck. The fruit was very good.

After our lunch, I wanted to do a few things in the park before we went back to our room for our break so, following Lani’s suggestion, we walked over and watched the First 50 Years of Magic show. They have some very interesting displays in the lobby if you love Disneyland enough to enjoy the history. So if you have never been, go. The show is actually pretty good too. We had the entire theatre to ourselves.

Look who we saw just outside!

Then we headed for the Market House. The guys sat down to play a game of checkers. They had to use coins because idiots keep stealing the game pieces. (must make self note to bring our own chess pieces)

I decided since we were already there that I would grab myself my second white hot chocolate, which turned out to be much better than my first one. I also got a piece of pumpkin fudge to try. (no likey likey!) I pondered in my mind where the closest restroom was… DH says there is one right out that door but he was wrong, or I didn’t find it. I ended up walking all the way down by Plaza Inn. DD had stayed with DH and DS so what does she do just as soon as I return? She decides she has to go so we race off, because she always waits until the last minute, in the direction of the restrooms behind the bank to see if they are any closer, which they were. We were able to confirm that the potties there are self flushers.

Having gotten that all taken care of and now out of steam, we hopped on the Omnibus for a ride to the castle so we didn’t have to walk all the way down Main Street AGAIN!

We headed through a half empty Fantasyland and rode the Carousel and then took a quick ride on Dumbo.

I was getting another headache again so we grabbed the Omnibus again, this time on the upper level, and headed back to exit the park.

I have not got the hang of taking photos of us from arms length. I love DD's face in the second one... she's like "How many times do we have to take the SAME picture?" It took me several tries!

There are some really good views from the upper level!

We stopped at one of Photopass photographers to have a picture taken in front of the tree. She tried to be creative but the sun was in our eyes and this was the best she came up with.

Spotted a few characters on our way out.

Can you believe not a soul in front of the Mickey floral.

I tried to nap off the headache without much success because DD does not seem to understand the theory of being quiet. I finally drifted off and when I woke up we headed back to the park around 5:15. We headed into Tomorrowland. DH took DD on Buzz.

DS and I attempted to ride Star Tours which I had not ridden in 2 years. Last year when we were about to board there was a medical emergency. This year we did have better luck. We did board and only had to move to another room after a mechanical malfunction. The poor woman in the flight prep film really needs to get a new hairdo! She's been wearing this one for how long now?

When we exited the ride, we met back up with DH and DD and decided to ride Nemo which ended up being a whole 10 minute wait. We met back up with DS who had skipped Nemo because he had had a sudden craving for popcorn. We wandered over by Small World and they were allowing rides even though they were not officially opened. It was about a 20 minute wait.

Did not notice any new Disney characters but there were a few new things which we thought were tastefully done and fit right in with the original theme. Everything looked nice and fresh and we loved the new smells! When we exited into the gift shop they had the 2 cutest window displays.

We rode the train over to the “Adventureland Station” according to the CM who must have been having a memory lapse while doing his spiel. Actually, we disembarked at the NOS station where we headed for Pirates. On the way through NOS I spotted Tony Baxter. He had apparently just grabbed a bread bowl and was making his way back to wherever Disney executives go to get out of the crowd. I said "Hello, Mr. Baxter" and he responded "Hello" and we both kept walking. I was content with that but it would be really cool to sit down and talk Disneyland with him someday. Maybe next time.

DD and I continued on our way and walked straight into Pirates and boarded our boat which had only 4 other people on it. When we got through we had planned to meet up with DH and DS so I could ride Splash with DS but we had lost track of time and the park was about to close so we jumped in line for HM to get in one more ride for the night. We stopped by the Market House on the way out so DH could grab a cup of coffee… and a gingerbread cookie. DH is so funny. He watched a program on tv the other day about obesity. He has been bragging about cutting back on his churro consumption ever since but I haven’t seen it affect his gingerbread consumption. They are very good!

As we headed in for the night the boys discussed their plan for the next day which was to ride every ride in the park. We’ll see how that goes.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• 1375 miles away

November 20, 2008

I finally had to say I was leaving this morning at 11:00 before I could get my family out the door. UGH! DD and I headed to CA.

My mission for the day was to get our free Disney Visa 5x7. We got there at about 11:13 and there was no line so we were able to get our photo taken with Pluto. Actually we ended up with several photos.

When we were through we had just enough time to make it to the 11:30 showing of Playhouse Disney.

This was our first time to enjoy the new changes to the show.

DD really enjoyed it. While she is a bit older than the majority of kids already it is going to be sad when she outgrows it because it is a cute show. I just hate to see her grow up!

Next we headed over to the Animation Building to look around.

DD decided she wanted to watch Crush again.

She got to talk to him and he gave her the name Electric Eel Emma. This time he even talked to Mondo Marie, her parental unit. He asked if she was always asking me questions. I said yes she does but mostly she usually thinks she knows all the answers! DD kept waving her hands wildly and he even picked her a second time. Later he was telling us about how if his wife lays her eggs in the hot sand that they would all be girl turtles and if she laid them in the cool sand they would all be boy turtles. He said that is why dudes are cool and chicks are hot!

Next we went in to the Animation Academy. We were disappointed because the character they were drawing was Minnie again. I found out later that you can ask at the podium and they can tell you in advance which character they will be drawing. Anyway, a second time did not help. Poor Minnie’s bow still did not look quite right. Here’s my drawing from both times:

and DD’s:

There was a nice surprise… the artist gave DD his picture that he had been drawing along with us.

After our art class we looked around some more.

DD’s character was...

and I was...

DD tried again and faked some answers. This time she came out...

Then DD added her voice to the Bambi scene. She did an excellent job!

Me… well, let’s just say her acting was much better than mine. We don’t even want to talk about my singing!

DH had called and said that he and DS would fend for themselves for lunch so I decided that DD and I and I would go ahead and keep our PS for Café Orleans which I had planned to skip since I didn’t think the guys really cared to go there. We picked up our free 5x7 on the way out of CA and headed over to DL. It was bright and sunny outside today!

Once we got inside the park and were about to get on the train to head to NOS, DH called again. They decided to go ahead and meet us for a glass of tea and would meet us at Cafe Orleans.

Oh how I wish the next two pictures had turned out better! As you can see I was playing with the fisheye camera again. DH and DS were making goofy faces at when while I was telling them about the camera. DS was actually supposed to be making a fish face... not sure about DH. I am surrounded by a bunch of goofballs! I don't care as long as they are having fun!

We had already been seated when they arrived. DS had already had a turkey leg which he has decided is one of his favorite meals this trip. DH had already had part of a chimichanga but had thrown most of it away. He didn’t like them any better than I had last time I had tried one. I ordered the 3 cheese Monte Cristo, an order of Pomme Frites and some Beignets, knowing that DH would end up willing to help me and DD with the meal. I also got DS an order of Banana Bread Pudding. I have learned that prices are high but the portions are huge! If we ever eat here again the Pomme Frites and Beignets will be plenty. I say if because the service was incredibly SLOW! We had 3 different wait persons so perhaps they didn’t know whose table we were. I hope they realized they didn’t do a very good job because I only left them a $5 tip. The last straw was when it took them another 5 minutes to get my bill settled. I wanted to use the last of my Disney Rewards to pay for the meal. My total bill was $52 and some change. I had $50 and some change left on the card and I threw in a 10 dollar bill to cover the difference. I guess it blew their mind because it took them some time to come back to the table with my card and the change.

When we finally got out of there we headed to Fantasyland so the guys could ride Snow White and Pinocchio to mark them off their list without embarrassing themselves by being seen alone on the kiddie rides. Somewhere along the way they decided to change their plan to include everything they had already been on. I assume because the were running out of time to get it all done in one day.

Next we headed to Roger Rabbit which was finally open for the first time since we got here. I never get good pictures in here! Perhaps if I weren't whirling out of control!

Then we wandered the streets of Toontown for awhile.

Afterwards, we took the train back to NOS so DS and I could ride Splash before heading back to our room for a late afternoon rest.

DD and I were willing to stay and skip our break but DS wanted to go back so like a good family we all headed back with him. We stopped off and picked up the Parasol that we had painted for DD. I really wanted to stay and try to find some Photopass photographers so we could get more pictures on our account but no matter how many hints I dropped they just didn’t seem to get it.

After a good rest we headed back to the park. Our first stop was Autopia.

The ride is sorta fun but nothing amazing. I can never understand why the line is so long. I had a car that bounced and sputtered so much I wasn’t real sure it was going to make it back. However, eventually, after a booming backfire that scared me and made me emit a little scream, we did finally make it around the track.

From there we headed to Small World for our second trip before the big crowd hits tomorrow for the “official” opening. We had about a 20 minute wait but it was already dark outside so waiting in line wasn’t so bad because it is really beautiful with all the lights on. I still did not notice any big changes.

Next we rode Peter Pan for our last ride of the night. While waiting we noticed that there are some pretty unusual people in the park. I think we found the most unique characters right their in line with us! Now I know some people find it necessary to make a state statement with the clothing they wear. I often have trouble trying to figure out just what it is they are trying to say! The couple in question were very “unique”. She was very beautiful and the more reserved of the two in her style. He, however, had on bright turquoise blue glasses, skin tight orange pants and a mid drift shirt. They both were wearing face paint. It did give us something to ponder while we were in line.

Next we rode Dumbo. When we got off the park was closing. On the way out we noticed that they had moved in new decorations in preparation for tomorrow. Also, there were tables set up in front of Plaza Inn with a sign about a live broadcast by a radio station. Over the arches by the train station there was a sign which said they were having a private after hours party for the holiday season kick off. Upon exiting the turnstiles there were booths labeled A-Z in front of the ticket booths apparently for people to pick up tickets and a pretty good line started for entry into the park.

Only 2 more days here in California and tomorrow we get to go meet Santa!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• 1375 miles away

November 21, 2008

We actually made it out the door by 10:15 this morning! On our way through the baggage check tables I noticed these signs that I had never noticed before.

Once in the park we headed straight for the Reindeer Roundup via Frontierland to get our chance to see Santa.

The wait was probably about 40 minutes and would not have even been that bad if there had just been some SHADE! Thankfully, you got to enter the building for part of the wait which helped alleviate some of the heat. I amused myself by taking way too many pictures of the Christmas decorations.

When we nearly reached Santa a CM named Amber approached us and wanted to be our buddy. I said “Ohhh? So now what does that mean?” She said “It’s not bad. I’m just gonna hang out here and talk to you and entertain you while Santa takes a 10 minute break.” I knew there had to be a catch. Just our luck! It wasn’t so bad and she did keep us busy and was very sweet with DD. She talked to her the entire time, showed her around and let her keep Santa’s chair warm for him until...

Santa showed back up!

If you have never seen Disneyland’s Santa he is great! Just like you would expect… nice and plump with rosy cheeks and a big smile. DD told him she wanted a roll over puppy and for her friend Mikayla to come see us during her Christmas break. (she got both) He said he would see what he could do. Amber headed out the door a bit ahead of us. She was too fast for us to catch up with. I wanted to give her one of our special CM buttons. I finally spotted her in the crowd, probably 30 minutes later, and was able to give it to her.

We went out side and wandered around checking out the reindeer and Christmassy atmosphere of the area.

Then we mosied over to the tables in front of the stage. Our plan was to decorate some Christmas cookies so we went and made our cookie purchase before finding a seat. DD picked out a gingerbread man and I took a snowman. We grabbed some coloring pages and found ourselves a table and sat down to watch the shows. DD went to work coloring and decorating her cookie.

Eventually she got interested in the shows and left me in the middle of my cookie decorating and went and sat up front on the benches to get a better view. I stayed with all our stuff and finished decorating my cookie.

We sat so long that we had time to watch all the different shows alternating from Farley the Fiddler to Johnny the Magician to Miss Chris. In between shows they played games. The area is really fun! Also, between shows each entertainer came out into the audience to sign autographs, talk pictures and visit with the guests. There were also some big furry characters wandering the area.

During one “intermission” Johnny the Magician came over and began talking with me and DD, who graced me with her presence every now and then when she wasn’t too busy. We talked with him for a good while and told him how much we enjoyed his show. DD pipes up and asks him if she can be in his next show. I try to hush her and as he leaves he asks where we are from and her name. He takes the stage and when he looks for a volunteer he calls “his friend, Emma from Texas” up to the stage! She got to help him pull the bunny out of the hat. She was so excited!

They do an amazing job with the decorating and entertainment at Big Thunder Ranch. However, I have a major complaint after having tried to watch the shows this year! There were quite a few management type looking people milling around in the area with notepads, no doubt taking notes on how things were going. No problem there. It is great that they have people who pay attention to things. What I did find to be VERY ANNOYING is that they should have taken notice of guests around them before they decided to STOP and watch the show! They have a large number of tables set up so you can see the show behind several rows of benches while you color and decorate the cookies. Would you not assume that they also intend for you to be able to see the show from the tables? I cannot even remember how many times different management people stopped right in front of me and obstructed my view when there were plenty of other places they could have stopped. I was pretty noticeable sitting there trying to take photos of my DD who had been chosen to participate in the show. I know the simplest thing would have been to move up front but my point is that it was NOT a simple thing because I would have had to move all out stuff. DD was not through decorating her cookie so she had icing and sprinkles scattered about along with colors and her coloring pages, not to mention our coats, my purse, and my cookie stuff. I finally took a chance and left our stuff sitting on the table while I got closer to watch her.

DD was having such a good time and honestly, so was I. We had spent the entire morning at Big Thunder Ranch. I hated to make her go but our guys showed up and got restless and hungry so I broke the news to her that it was time for us to go in search of food.

She finished up her cookie and then we left. (Too bad the BBQ joint isn’t still in the area. I am sure she could have gotten in another 30 minutes if I could have just had something to feed the men folk!)

The guys had just come from CA and had tales to share. While they were waiting in line for Screamin and after about a 30 minute wait the ride went down. After that they headed to TSMM and were on the ride, nearly to the end of setting a 200,000 record when it broke down. They were sure they were the cause of both breakdowns. They had enjoyed being walked out of TSMM and they did get some free passes so they were in pretty good humor.

DS had enjoyed a turkey leg a few days ago so he decided he would make another attempt at eating a whole one so he went to grab one and met us at Rancho de Zocalo. DH and I grabbed our food which was only so-so. DD did not like it at all. DS did not manage to eat the entire turkey leg but he did give us a good laugh. (I doubt very many of you have watched Ernest Goes to Africa but if you have you will understand why images of Ernest were going through my head.) DS was trying to wipe some of the greasy leftover mess from his face when the napkin decided to adhere itself to his lips. We were all laughing because as he was trying to remove the napkin from his lips it looked like he had a horrendous case of chapped lips and they were peeling right off. Guess you had to be there. Sadly, we are easily amused!

Our next stopped planned was to be Pirates but somewhere along our path we remembered that we had not had the opportunity to see the lovely Sally Mae of the Laughing Stock Company. So we stopped in at the Golden Horseshoe to see when their next performance would start. Unfortunately, they were not performing today, and we missed them our whole trip, but the Billie’s show was scheduled to start in 20 minutes so I convinced the guys to stay and watch because they had never seen them. We started upstairs but didn’t like the available view so we moved downstairs and got a pretty good seat not too close to the stage; just to be sure we were not chosen to be a participant. DS started glancing at the menu posted above the counter and decided he could go for a dessert so he hopped in the line and came back with a really yummy looking rootbeer float. When he sat it down on the table it started bubbling. DH and I were trying to tell him that he had better get started drinking but he didn’t think it would keep bubbling. Lo And behold, DH and I were right, as parents often are, and his float started bubbling right over the top like a volcano! Poor DS…. having just been attacked by a napkin and now a rootbeer float. It was about this time that I got really annoyed with myself because my memory card and the extra one I had carried were both full from BTR so I was unable to document either of these events (to save for blackmailing my son later) or be able to get any Billy Hill Pictures or any others until we went back to our room. (Luckily, DH did have the video camera so I have been able to watch the Billie show again since our trip.)

Meanwhile, after we had a really good laugh with DS the show started. It was their Christmas show and we loved it, especially the part where one of the brothers keeps coming out as the different ghosts from A Christmas Carol and eerily calls out Billlllleeeee, Billlllleeeee. This show really helped get us in the Christmas spirit and we have been laughing about it even still. DS was laughing so I consider their first show a big hit. DH even said he wanted to be sure and watch it again on our next trip.

From there we finally made our way over to Pirates for our umpteenth time. This time I decided to look for the Goofy hat, which I saw, and the animatronic with Walt’s face. I never could confirm the second one.

We decided to take a late break so we started heading out of the park. The first Christmas parade was in progress so as we neared Main Street it was really getting crowded. Of course, with no camera, I spotted a celebrity… Maynard. I called out to him and he stopped and began playing with DD’s Speedy Gonzales that she had been carrying with her. He was calling it a hamster which annoyed her but we still had her pose with him while DH grabbed a picture with the video camera.

After that, to avoid the crowds, we slipped through the shops, which worked like a charm, and arrived out by the Firehouse in no time. Once through the arches, I requested that we get a family Picture taken in front of the Mickey floral. It was pretty sunny and after 14 days I am beginning to look pretty tired. Of course, one photo led to another...

Then we headed back for a rest so we would have some renewed energy for some evening rides and our PS for Fantasmic. We stopped in at Cold Stone Creamery for an icy cold treat and a round of singing after we tipped them. This time our song was “We will, we will, serve you” sung to the tune of We will rock you…. Complete with music banged out on the counter. DS and I were impressed because we both like the Queen version.

DS and DD are both missing Jiu-Jitsu class so they started rolling around on one of the beds which was good….

because DD’s loose tooth got knocked out!

I say knocked out but it was so loose I imagine it only took a little bump. She didn’t cry anyway and was happy to be getting another chance to be able to catch the tooth fairy. She rigged up a little trap made out of cups to see if she could catch her but ALAS the tooth fairy was on to her and escaped again.

After our break, we headed back to the park around 6:30 and ran back into the parade crowd again. So we used the slip through the shops trick and were through the crowd in no time. Check in for our Fantasmic seating was at 8:00 but I planned to get there early to get the best seats. By the time we did make it through the parade hub-bub it was already about 10 after 7 so about the only thing we had time to ride was HM. We got off right at 7:30. We got in line for check in and there were already about a dozen people ahead of us so I didn’t think we would get front row but we did. We had about another 15-20 minutes before we could be seated so the boys joined us for yet another spin on…. You guessed it HM.

When we were done we went and got seated for the show. They took our drink order and then served us our goodie box. This time there was nothing amazing dessert wise. I was very disappointed because there was no chocolate covered strawberry! The grapes, crackers and cheese were a nice alternative to having just a box full of sweets but I still wanted my strawberry! Anyway, the show started and I actually watched and did not take a single picture. It was enjoyable to just concentrate on the show this time. Last time we did the PS I barely remember the show because I was so caught up in taking pictures. About half way through the show DD spilled her Sprite on herself so I gave her my jacket. Thankfully I did not end up too cold cause no one else had a jacket with them to share. After the show we stayed in our seats and watched the fireworks. I know it is not the same as in front of the castle but I love having a seat and not fighting the crowd. Plus the fireworks do look really pretty over the water. Then it SNOWED on us. Aaaaaah. I agree, it was not quite as magical as on Main Street but I did get my snow fix so I am good until next year.

Since we had so many boxes of leftovers to carry we decided to go ahead and call it a night but, of course, as we passed by Pirates DD begged to ride just one more ride, so we did. After that we started making our way through the crowd. About ½ way up Main Street our desperate attempt to keep up with the guys turned into a challenge and then a RACE! So if anyone saw 4 lunatics weaving through the crowd as fast as they could it was probably us. We kept it up all the way across Harbor and back to the Desert Inn. We slowed up when we reached the elevator and then…. DH cheated! He announced, as he put the key in the door to our room, that it didn’t matter who was in the lead…. it was whoever made it in the room first! It was an amusing way to end our night, as well as work off a few calories. We ordered in more pizza and I sat to work making our to-do-list for our last day in the park tomorrow.
    Last edited by mariezp; 01-09-2009 at 01:42 PM.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

What a great report! Very detail, love the add on of the Disney Characters and the unique pictures in the round style.
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• 1375 miles away

Thank you, WheresMickey. The Disney characters came from using my daughter's Disney camera's software. The round pictures came from using a fisheye camera. I wish they had come out even better. I have seen some that were awesome. However, this was my first attempt. Even the manual says there is not a good way to aim the lens.

I am working on getting our last day ready to post. Hopefully it will be up in the next day or two.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• 1375 miles away

November 22, 2008

Our last day has finally arrived. Our plan for the day is to do everything on everyone’s last ride list without taking a break and just come back to our room whenever we get it all done. It wasn’t a huge list so I figured it wouldn’t be too late when we had gotten it all done. DD has been enjoying the Disney channel since we do not have it at home and the guys…. well, they never get going early so I didn’t even try to get a start very early this morning.

We decided to start at CA. Once we got inside the park we decided to get a photo made in front of the bridge just in case it is gone on our next trip. Personally, my family and I will miss it and the Beach Boys music.

Next, we stood around for a few minutes trying to decide which direction to go. DD wanted to see Crush. I wanted to watch Drawn to the Magic since I had never seen it. So, we headed to Hollywood only to find that they did not start the shows until 12:00. So much for that plan.

DH had not used his free pass that he had gotten from the ride breakdowns the day before so we decided to head in the direction of TSMM to put them to use. Along the way the guys stopped for coffee so DD and I got some Photopass pictures taken. It was apparently one of those days for new learning experiences. Here's what I learned. 1.) NEVER get another picture taken that shows me sitting down... can you say "wide load"?... I mean I know it's back there but Lordy!

2.) Don’t have a picture taken while there is construction going on in the background…. Ummmm, notice the drained lagoon. Beauuuutiful, ain’t it? Kodak moment? Not.

So, we start moving along again and then DS decides that he and I should ride Screamin since I still have managed to avoid, um I mean, not ridden it. But I got lucky again and the line was longer than he wanted to wait so we pressed onward to TSMM. We got there and the free passes paid off nicely. 5 Minutes! Oh yeah! I had fun but DD beat me! Aaah the humiliation! We love this new ride and it is definitely one of our new favorites in CA.

Next, I volunteered to go on Grizzly Rapids since I’d only been on it once and DH enjoys every chance he can get to avoid getting drenched. We headed towards the Grizzly area and ran into a crowd which just happened to be surrounding a trash can. That’s right! We found Push! The guys went and grabbed a park bench because at first they thought I had lost my mind telling DD to go check out the trash receptacle. DD was thoroughly entranced and amazed. As often happens there were a couple obnoxious kids who just had to kick Push. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this interactive treat disappear someday because of the inability of parents and children to know how to behave. Our family thought Push was pretty cool and enjoyed the chance to watch him do his stuff.

DS and I got in line for Grizzly with about a 20 minute wait. So far DS had come off of this ride nearly completely dry but finally his luck had run out. He was finally thoroughly soaked. I was pretty wet from the waist down and my hair was soaked from the overhead sprayers.

Next, we planned to ride Soarin but the line was huge so we got a fastpass and headed over to see Crush. This show was great because they used some different material. I had never seen Dory before or the whale. Glad they change it up a bit. So, if you have never been and get a chance to go you might ask if Crush speaks whale and see if he brings Dory out. So I loved the show but DD was sad because she didn’t get to talk to Crush this time. I tried to console her and make her understand that sometimes there are other children who like to talk to Crush too.

At this point everyone was getting hungry so we decided to head over to DL and come back later for Soarin. Once inside DL we got some more pictures in front of the Christmas tree.

Then we headed to Adventureland where I got in line at Bengal BBQ

while DH went to grab a bowl of clam chowder and DS went to get another turkey leg. DS got through first and grabbed us a table in front of Riverbelle Terrace. I dropped off my Bengal skewers and went to grab DD’s chicken nuggets from the Stage Door Café and met back at the table. Nothing like a little food variety!

After our meal, DS and I headed over to ride Big Thunder while DH took DD to go feed the ducks. We planned to split up after that but DH had noticed the canoes were running so we stayed together and did that. Those canoes are a lot of work!

Next we split up and DS and DH were planning to ride Splash but because the line was long they grabbed fastpasses instead and were going to head back to the room. So we all changed the plan again and decided to run over to CA to ride Soarin and make it back in time for DD and I to catch the Christmas parade. I snapped a few photos along the way out.

We headed back over to Soarin to use our fastpasses but it was broke and was down to running only one section so even the fastpass line was unbelievably backed up almost as long as the regular line so the guys went ahead and went back to the room. DD and I decided we would stay and find something to do while they went and got rested up and planned to meet back up right before CA closed to ride Soarin one last time.

So, what to do? DD and I checked the schedule and had just enough time to get through Hollywood and take a seat just before the Drawn to the Magic show was about to start. The singers were talented and all had beautiful voices. There were 3 Disney characters in the show, Mickey, Cinderella and Woody. It was lively but for some reason I thought there would be more to it. Oh well, at least now I can say that I have watched it, satisfied my curiosity and cross it off my have-never-done-list.

The girl sounded just like one of our Jungle Cruise skippers so I spent a lot of time wondering if she might do both.

One of the guys looks just like the driver we call when we come to Anaheim.

This little girl was so cute and so precious and SO SCARED! She ran off the stage crying right after he talked to her.

Next, we went to watch Crush one more time so maybe DD would get to talk to him. The show was good again and DD still did not get to talk to him. Between listening to her fussing and having changed our minds countless number of times all day long I think the stress had finally caught up to me. DD had also been wearing me out wanting popcorn or a toy or wanting to go see Bolt or wanting to go get an ice cream. I was just about worn out and starting to get another headache. But onward we pressed… our last night in the park could not be wasted!

Next stop, the Animation Studio. This time we checked to see which character they would be drawing at the front podium. It was Pluto so we couldn’t pass that up! Mine looked like his jowls where ready for take off.

Then we headed back over to DL. On the way, DD had made several more of her above mentioned “requests”, I assume thinking that she could wear me down. Well, she did not wear me down to the point of buying everything she could think of in the park but she did manage to wear down the last bit of energy I had. I gave up and the fun pretty much drained right out of me the rest of the night. I stopped and got her a Wall-e and Eva for getting her tooth out so she was happy but it was too late for me. I think I was the one who ended up having a meltdown. Still on we trudged….

We stopped in at the Tiki Room where I applied DH’s technique of sitting by the exit to make a quick escape. From there we took a last spin on Pirates. I had been planning to watch the Christmas parade but DD decided she didn’t want to so we trekked on to HM but the line was 30 minutes long so we decided not to wait. Apparently DD was getting tired and happy with her new toys. My head was splitting so I didn’t really care what we did anymore so she agreed to skip the rest of what we had on our list and meet the guys at CA for our last ride on Soarin.

We hopped on the train in NOS and I called to have the guys meet us at CA early. On the train we sat next to a girl who said they had learned that the Primeval wall was a huge mural. I asked where they had learned that and she said it was her mother’s birthday and they had picked them out at the train station to let them ride on the Lilly Belle. Whaaaa! 14 days in the park and I didn’t get to ride. Anyway, of course, when we got to Main Street the parade was going and DD changed her mind and wanted to stay and watch but DH and DS were already waiting on us by CA and I just wanted to get out of the park and get back to our room for some headache medicine. We just made it by a hair missing the end of the parade rush out the front of the gate and headed over to meet them by the C in the California letters.

While my brain was in pain at least I still managed to keep my humor. Just as we were walking up to our boys, there was a girl turning cartwheels right in front of them. So I am thinking to myself, at least they had entertainment. So a song pops in my head and I ply them with even more. I start singing “By the C… by the C… by the beautiful C… by the C… by the C… oh how happy we’ll be.” I know. Really, really sad.

So anyway, we get back into CA and get in our final ride on Soarin, which is a great ending because it is my favorite ride in CA.

When we get back to our room I call in a pizza order. Then I grab something for my headache and head over to Denney’s for something besides pizza for DD and myself. On the way, I stopped off in the lobby and printed out our boarding passes so I wouldn’t have to worry about that in the morning. I get my Denney’s order placed and I people watch while I am waiting. There was a family with a large bunch of kids and a grandmotherly woman on an AVC. She was trying to get it turned around and headed back out the door. She was having a hard time and was bumping everything in her path, even into the podium the hostess uses. When she finally got turned and headed in the right direction I told her that I didn’t think she was going to pass her driving test like that. (Looking back I could have really pissed the old lady off but thank God she was sweet and had a good sense of humor.) Anyway, she said she had done failed that a long time ago. Then I asked her how many ankles she had ran over today in the park. She said "Oh, a few, and there were probably some more I would have liked to have run over". I just laughed and said that I could imagine. She made it out the door and I tried to be funny with her daughter/daughter-in-law but she didn’t appear to have her humor with her. It could have been that she had 4 or 5 kids with her and she was just out of any more energy at the end of the day. Oh well, Grandma amused me.

When they called me to pick up my order I noticed a cute Pirate Chip and Dale behind the counter for the grandson and also decided to grab a Stitch for DD which I ended up saving for Christmas. So I got food and finished off my souvenir shopping right there in Denney’s!

When I got back to the room the Pizza had arrived so we sat down to eat and attempted to watch, I believe, the Dark Knight which is a Batman movie unlike any I have ever seen. Sure Batman used to do OOOFS! And POWS! But this movie was much more violent than any of us wanted to watch. They don’t make Batman like they used to. We ended up turning it off and went to sleep which was okay with me because I was plumb tuckered out.

November 23, 2008

DD and I woke up about 8:00. She started watching her last round of the Disney channel shows. I studied the giant task of trying to fit everything back into our suitcase which was not going to be an easy task. So I began by piling EVERYTHING on the empty bed and started sorting. I should be ashamed but I ended up throwing out 4 chocolate chip cookies, a caramel apple that I had taken 2 bites from, a white chocolate covered apple which I had taken about 4 bites from, a half eaten snowwoman cookie, 3/4 of a gingerbread man cookie, 2 nearly full boxes of leftover goodies from Fantasmic and a pineapple slice. I thought all of those things had sounded so good but my sweet tooth burned out before I ate them all. Sad and such a waste, I know! I did manage to get the leftover half of $25 jelly beans packed up.

It took me ALL morning to get everything repacked, right up until our ride arrived. I ended up leaving quite a few groceries behind that I hope maybe the maids were able to put to use. Our driver, Sunday, who was also the same one who took us to Jiu-Jitsu class in Torrance, got us safely to John Wayne Airport. We got all checked in and I must say they have a very efficient staff. We did manage to hold up the line as we headed through the metal detectors. We are not very practiced at the art of removing metal items from our person and every other carry on item we tote. We did finally make it through security with our 2 bags per person carry ons.

After a brief stop to find our gate and check the schedule we headed to the Oasis restaurant and had lunch. They had a very yummy turkey, bacon and avocado sandwich but it was huge so DH helped me finish it off. Our plane boarded a little bit late. I let DD have the window seat. A woman sat down on the other side of me and immediately began wiping down everything with a disinfectant wipe. It struck me as kinda weird because as she sat next to me she was sniffing as if she had a cold for most of the trip. I’m thinking, Lady, can I borrow one of those wipes? She asked DD if she was going to be glad to get home and, of course, DD being from Texas says …. Yes, I miss my cow. Not a dog or a cat but her cow.
    Anyway, the flight ended up being pleasant and uneventful. We watched Meet Dave during the flight which turned out to be a pretty cute show compared to what was showing on our first flight. We arrived about 20 minutes late and grabbed a shuttle back to our car. The driver’s name was Gloria and she was every bit the twin of Gloria from Madagascar. She was sassy and a hoot! It was good to be back in Texas where people go out of their way to be friendly!

We grabbed some Taco Bell to take home and headed back to a house that was freezing cold! DH had left the AC set low to dry out the moisture in the air while we were gone. Our kitty Prissy met us at the door and was sooo happy to see us she didn’t know who to follow around the house. Poor thing must have caught a cold because she was sneezing! We unpacked the car and everyone else sat down to watch Wall-E while I caught up on my e-mail and made a few phone calls. It was sure good to be home!

Awhile later DD started complaining about her ear hurting and it wouldn’t pop. We tried everything we could think of and that I could find online but it still didn’t work. I gave her some Tylenol Cold which seemed to help ease it enough for her to fall asleep at bedtime.

I woke up in the middle of the night not knowing where I was. The room looked so funny so I got up for a midnight run to the ladies room. When I got back to bed my mind would not go back to sleep because our Disneyland trip was still running through my brain. Just about the time I finally drifted back off to sleep the cat started squalling in the hallway and bumping the door while she tried to open it with her paw. Thankfully she gave up before she woke up the whole house.

Not long afterwards, I went ahead and got up to let her outside. She met me in the hallway as usual and tried to wrap herself around my legs. As I opened the door I glanced out and saw one of our other cats doing her usual thing of stalking birds at my feeder. Then I looked out across the pasture to check the cows. Both were okay and still no calf. Just before I turned to go back in one of them gently mooed at me. So vacation is nice but getting back home to our normal routine is very good too.

Our first day home was very busy… picking up the dog from the kennel, dropping off Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes, picking up our accumulated mail, grocery shopping and Jiu-Jitsu classes. We just might get some rest tomorrow!

So looking back over our trip, yeah, 13 days may be too much. 10 days may be just about right for next year. DH started talking about missing it already and about maybe taking our oldest DD, SIL and GS next year. Right now I am thinking I am just glad to be home! (I am glad to be back home where the water doesn’t do weird things to my hair and the shower head doesn’t hit the top of my head!) Right now I am thinking I am worn out from traveling with other people and that next year just our family would be great. But then again, who knows what I will be thinking in another year though.

I am so very proud of DD this year for walking so much without complaining because we did not pamper her by taking a stroller this year! She said it was actually kinda cool to be big enough to walk. I did miss my cup holder. She made it just fine in her crocs and I in mine. The first few days everyone’s legs ached but after working through the pain we were all good. I don’t know if being on muscle relaxers made it a lot easier but my legs and feet did not hurt at all like they have in the past when I have had shin splints, and sciatic muscle pains. I even made it just fine without any form of support socks and totally blister free. We did also use the train as a form of shuttle to far ends of the park more than we have ever done before so maybe that helped out our poor tootsies.

Even with so many days I still missed a few things. After all my careful planning around the holiday festivities I did not watch the Christmas parade or even remember to take a night shot of the castle and it’s pretty lights. I did make it home with over 1000 worth of photos on my memory cards, 82 pics on DD’s camera, 36 pics from the fisheye camera and about a dozen stills from our video camera.

I’ve already started taking notes to help me do my planning for the next trip. When I was talking about bringing DD her own suitcase next year instead of sharing mine so we would have more space to bring home extras my very smart friend suggested that I pack like normal but put our bag in an even larger empty suitcase. That way we would have an entirely empty one so we wouldn’t have to lug so many carry ons. Isn’t she brilliant! And my second note to add… DH said next time bring more socks!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Awsome report! A full 13 days of fun! Great job!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• 1375 miles away

Quote Originally Posted by WheresMickey View Post
    Awsome report! A full 13 days of fun! Great job!
    Thanks! I am so glad you enjoyed my report. It really is a ton of fun to have a long trip to the park. I don't think I could do just a few days or even just a week now that I have gotten spoiled to going 2 weeks!
    Last edited by mariezp; 01-13-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: additional
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123