Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Thanksgiving Trip Full of Magical Moments

PART 1:

For the last 10-plus years, DW and I have spent the weekend after Thanksgiving at Disneyland. Sometimes with family, sometimes just the two (now three) of us.

This year was different, though. My parents booked a cruise with some friends for the week, so they’d be gone on Thanksgiving. DW’s Grandma cooks Thanksgiving the Sunday before for DW’s family, so the in-laws are taken care of.

“Cool. No place to go on Thanksgiving. Let’s go to Disneyland!!”

If only it were that easy. MIL got wind of our plan, and what was going to be just the 3 of us (Me, DW, DS5), turned into a trip for 7. Me, DW, DS5, MIL, SIL, BIL & Nephew6. Well, the only good that could come of it is that MIL was able to use her military ID (Late-FIL retired from the Army) to get us 3-day hoppers for $99 from the local Navy base. Score!

I’ve been making name tag graphics for everyone on another message board that shall remain nameless, so I knew I had to make something extra-special just for us, so I made Happy Thanksgiving name tags.

But since we were gonna spend 3 days in the parks, I couldn’t stop there and decided we should have shirts for all 3 days. Well, the ladies put their feet down. They would wear the Thanksgiving shirts, but for the other 2 days it would just be the boys (and the men). They were sorry (and very jealous) later.

More later.

Re: A Thanksgiving Trip Full of Magical Moments

PART 2:

We woke up early on Thanksgiving morning and were on the road from the Central Valley at around 5:30am. We stopped a couple times for food (and potty breaks) and arrived in Anaheim around 10:30am.

We booked 2 rooms at the Anaheim Quality Suites for a fairly good rate of $72.79 per night. It was located off of Manchester Avenue, near HoJos. Not a bad walk.

We were too early to check in, but we were able to leave our vehicles and head to Disneyland!!

The walk wasn’t too bad, but we did bring the stroller for the boys to sit in (and on).

We went to Disneyland first (and actually never made it to DCA the first day).

Half-way down Main Street, Nephew needs a potty break so we stop in front of the dry goods shop and wait for him. DS takes this opportunity to make his first ever pin trade (with eBay pins) with CM Allie. Allie was a member of the Dream Squad. We ended up seeing her all three days, and she always remembered us (because of DS’s name tag shirt).

I’ll start skipping ahead at this point.

After a couple of rides, lunch, and a ride on Thunder Mountain the boys decided they wanted to ride the Mark Twain. The last time we rode the Mark Twain, DS was able to ride up top with the Captain. He thought he was gonna be cool in front of his cousin and headed straight for the top. He caught the Captain’s attention (CM Chris) and asked if they could ride up there with him. He was a little deflated when CM Chris told him that he didn’t need any help today.

What CM Chris didn’t say was that he wasn’t going to be the Captain for that trip, because a few minutes later, CM Brittany arrived. CM Chris let CM Brittany know that DS had wanted to help steer the ship, and she was more that happy to have the boys (and MIL) join her. MAGICAL MOMENT #1

more later

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I can tell already this is going to be good!!

Love the name tags!! Do you have a computer program that does that?

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I can tell already this is going to be good!!

Love the name tags!! Do you have a computer program that does that?
    I created the graphic (based on the original name tags) and just plug in whatever name I need.

PART 3:

After another ride our two, it was time for our Thanksgiving dinner at Blue Bayou. I think we were all a little (maybe a lot) disappointed with our meals. I won’t go into details here, but the quality and/or the preparation of the steaks was lacking.

After dinner, Nephew wanted to ride the train, so the inlaws headed there and Me, DW & DS headed for Space Mountain with a Fast Pass we had collected earlier.

We met up after the ride and decided to call it a day early, since we were all tired from the early morning. It was around this point that DS realized we had missed the parade. I had put the Christmas Fantasy Parade music on my iPod and we had been singing in the car for the last month, so he really wanted to see it. We insisted we would see it tomorrow.

On the way out, we saw Mickey dressed in his holiday sweater taking pictures in town square. The line wasn’t bad (and the boys weren’t too grumpy) so we got in line for a picture.

After dutifully posing for a couple of pictures, DS decides that he really wasn’t ok with missing the parade today, goes over our heads and has a word with the big cheese. He tells Mickey, “next time, don’t start the parade without me.” Mickey gave him a thumbs up.

We arrived back at the hotel just in time to watch the fireworks from afar.

more later

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Cute pics of your boys! Can't wait for more!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

I absolutley love those shirts...take orders??? Thanks for the report so far..can't wait to read more!

Quote Originally Posted by dmomof4 View Post
    I absolutley love those shirts...take orders???
    I don't take orders for shirts, lol, but customizing the graphics is no problem.

I usually do this tag for DL:

I can do tags for WDW & DCL too.

If you want to see more click, the link in my signature for more examples.

I'll get back to the report soon.

PART 4:

The ladies had thought about waking up early on Black Friday and heading to Target for the sales. That thought went away as soon as their heads hit the pillow. Needless to say, we all slept in.

After a decent breakfast at the hotel (make your own waffles, yum), we were ready to head to DL. The inlaws weren’t ready yet, so the three of us headed out on our own. We didn’t get into the park until around 9am (the others didn’t make it there until 10am… sleepyheads).

We left our stroller at the steps of the train station and took the Omnibus down Main Street.

After that, we headed to the Matterhorn. There was a man behind us in line that noticed DS and kept telling him “Westley, can you say 'football'”. Not sure if he was famous player (or just a crazy football fan), but he must’ve thought DS has a future in the NFL.

Inlaws picked up the stroller on the way in and met us for a couple of rides in Fantasyland. Then we headed over to DCA for lunch.

On the way, we stopped at the Christmas tree for a few pictures.

To tide us over, we sampled some tortillas hot off the press, then headed to TSMM.

Buzz Lightyear Astrowho???

TSMM is awesome. I wanna go again and again!!

Then it was time for lunch.

Everyone else grabbed their lunch (and mine) from the Pacific Wharf Café, while I waited in line at Concina Cucamonga for DS’s lunch…and waited…and waited.

I was so grumpy when I finally got to the table MIL, went and bought me a beer. She knows how to keep my happy.

After DS & I scarfed down our food, we headed to the Orange Stinger. Since they installed the new tandem seats, DS & Nephew were able to ride for the first time.

By that time it was about 2pm, and we knew we had to get back to DL for the 3:30 parade (otherwise DS wouldn’t take care of us when we got old).

more later (included the best Magical Moment yet)

• Cal Poly DL Lover

Great TR! Your little boy is adorable and it looks like it was a really good time.
    Thanks for the awesome pics!

not a kid and still love DISNEYLAND??

OF COURSE I DO!!!

[/URL]

PART 5:

So, we make it into DL with plenty of time before the parade. There were lots of empty spots in Town Square, so we grab our section of curb. DS sat down and wouldn't budge til the parade was over.

DW & figure that DS (and MIL) can hold down the fort, so we head off to do a little shopping/looking before the parade.

While we were gone, DS struck up a conversation with CM Danielle (I think she was a character handler). He related to her his conversation with Mickey about not starting this parade without him. From what I hear, he talked her ear off (he does that sometimes…just like his mother….I can say that cause she never reads these).

Soon we were all in our places, sugared up with ice cream and churros, ready for the parade to start. Just then, here comes CM Danielle with Mickey and some of the other characters who had been greeting guests in front of the floral Mickey at the main entrance. She makes a point of bringing Mickey by us, points out Westley and tells Mickey that Westley is here, so now they can start the parade. Mickey gives DS a big thumbs up. MAGICAL MOMENT #3

By the way, I love the new usher-style costumes they’re wearing during the parades. Much better that the random …Land costumes.

So, the Prince Caspian pre-parade comes by…what???? Prince Caspian???? What happened to Bolt??? Anyway…..just for fun we tried to convince DS that that was the parade. He didn’t believe us for a second.

The parade was great, but the best part was near the end, of course. No, not the Rockette Santa costumes. I’m talking about the big man himself.

For those of you that haven’t seen the parade, Santa has a hidden microphone (in his beard?) and greets the crowd along the parade route. Well, Santa comes around the corner in Town Square, looks down at us from his sleigh and says to Nephew, “Hello, Josh. Have you been a good boy this year?” Joshua nodded sheepishly. Santa continued, “Westley, good to see you.” MAGICAL MOMENT #4

Now, of course, the boys didn’t realize at first that Santa read their names off their shirts (by the way he must be eating the carrots meant for the reindeer to be able to see that from where he was sitting), they were just lost in the moment. I think we were all lost in the magical moment.

Who needs Year of a Million Dreams Fastpasses or Mickey Hats, when, in a matter of half an hour, you can have Mickey give you a thumbs up that it’s time to start the parade AND have Santa greet you by name from his sleigh.

more later

•   
    • Senior Minion

What an awesome TR and I LOVE the shirts

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

WOW I love your TR !! I feel as if I was there....so glad to hear about the magical moments and that it's not always about Dream fast passes, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great Trip Report!!

Looking forward to more...
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    Great Trip Report!!

Looking forward to more...

Just trying to live up to your example.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-03-2008, 12:52 PM