Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Animatronic

Main Street Story Windows

In the 70's and 80's (and possibly the 60's) a series of windows down the left side of Main Street would tell the story of the latest Disney movie. Particularly amazing was Bedknobs and Broom Sticks, but the Little Mermaid was also very well done. In some cases the animation was amazing and one might notice one window mid mainstreet and rush back to the start to see the whole story in sequence. I wish I had pictures.

There are still fragments of this in the windows today, but it's been years since they've tried to tell a story.

I'm not sure, but the redo of Sleepy Beauty Castle with the "Barbie Doll" figures in the 70's might have started as Main Street windows since it was very close to the style.

I'd love to see a return of the story windows, or if that doesn't work, at least more period window displays. The current mix of multiple movies in a single window just isn't compelling.

Re: Main Street Story Windows

I remember those windows. They are in the Emporium windows. As a kid I used to look at them every time we went to DL. It was the first thing on the list to do. I still check them out when I enter the Disney Parks, and you're right they don't tell a story anymore. Bummer.

• always, the freaky cat

I remember those story windows, which are along the outer wall of the Emporium. I always looked forward to viewing them. I'm not as impressed with the displays these days. Part of it, I think, is because they just aren't as impressive, but part of it also might be that I'm older now and harder to impress.

• Minion

I remember seeing windows for Tarzan, Fantasia 2000 and Atlantis in the late 90s - early 2000s. They were certainly more interesting than the current hodgepodge of stuff from many window displays put together.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Main Street Story Windows

I was 7 in 1969; first visit after a 2000+ mile drive. Got lost within 2 minutes because I was captivated by those windows, so I was at Lost Parents before I went on my first ride. Good times..........

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Banned User

I'm hoping they'll return to the tradition of Emporium Windows when the Princess and The Frog comes out next year.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I would like to see it come back, too....currently, it seems to me, there is one dedicated window to Ratatouille....the rest are either ads for something (Tinkerbell DVD) or the mishmash they put together for the fiftieth. I'd at least like to see something new and all the windows tell a story again, even though the Ratatouille window is well done and fun to watch, it's not at all up to date.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

•   
    • Super Hero

The Ratatouille window is very well done (the other windows, not so much). It would have been nice if it was one of a series of window vignettes that told the story of the movie.

ETA: jinx, darkfairycthulu!

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

The current window display with the conglomeration of films was intended to be a nod to the past and show off a piece of all of the former window displays. It was a good idea, but I don't know that I love the execution. The window displays were always my favorite when I was a kid, and I definitely liked it better when they told a complete story. I don't think it's fair to say they aren't impressive nowadays, because you're looking at something that's maybe 40 years old. I agree that the Ratatouille window is extremely well done, and if they told a complete story in all the windows as well as they told that scene in a single window, it would be VERY impressive even today.
    Last edited by RumRunner31; 12-04-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: *I can't spell
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

It was always fun to see the latest Disney push to sell whatever film it was that was coming out. They were often well done and included neat details. I miss it too!
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• Banned User

It seems like there hasn't been a lot of promotion of specific films as of late. I remember specialized parades (Mulan? Lion King? Etc.) every time a new movie came out, not some half-assed BOLT pre-parade float! I'd love to see a return of the window stories, too!

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I don't have ANY facts to back it up, but it must be that advertising in the parks isn't as cost effective nowadays. Perhaps the money to hire/train/etc. performers for a new parade or build a series of window displays went to building a cool flash website or an iPhone app instead? (By the way, Rhino Ball on the iPhone is really fun!)
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• revolutionary waltz

I remember those! I wish they'd make one for the next upcoming movie instead of just keeping the retrospect there. I understand not having a Wall-E one, but what about Princess and the Frog at least? : (

• Far too curious

If my memory is correct, I remember when they did that for Mulan, and I remember being so distracted by those windows, because they were so cool.

I agree with stitchon. Doing a window story for The Princess and the Frog would be neat.

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    I agree that the Ratatouille window is extremely well done, and if they told a complete story in all the windows as well as they told that scene in a single window, it would be VERY impressive even today.
    I *love* the Ratatouille window. I visit it each time, and if it goes away I will miss it. I love the little touches, like a bottle of Lasseter wine, and the other little homages to important people to the movie and pixar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast