Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• The Dudester

it's a small world down time

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Does anyone know how long it's a small world will be closed following the holidays? Now that I've seen the re-opened it's a small world holiday, I'm anxious to see the rest of additions unveiled!

Thanks for any info...

• Here Comes Trouble

Re: it's a small world down time

I think it closes 1/5 and reopens 2/9 with all of the new characters and all.
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

• Halloween 2011

Before they wiped next year's calendar clean, Small World was scheduled to be down 1/5 through 2/15. Checking the calendar now shows posted hours for all activities at the parks only through Jan 15th so it is impossible to confirm.

• Walt Disney Fan

It's usually closed for about a month.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

• Halloween 2011

^Yes, but this isn't the usual transition from Holiday to regular. This includes the installation of Disney figures and the load-in of the Up with America scene.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Does anyone know how long it's a small world will be closed following the holidays? Now that I've seen the re-opened it's a small world holiday, I'm anxious to see the rest of additions unveiled!

Thanks for any info...
    as long as it takes to put up marketing displays.

• (Not a) New User

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    ^Yes, but this isn't the usual transition from Holiday to regular. This includes the installation of Disney figures and the load-in of the Up with America scene.

Yes, that's a good point. Really, I don't think this matters but I gotta ask- are they gonna call the America scene "Up With America", because I heard they might call it "Hooray for USA!".

Also LLCMC said "as long as it takes to put up marketing displays". That's what I thought when I heard they were adding Disney characters. I knew that it was so that they could sell plush version of their Mary-Blaired-up Disney characters at the store! My dad said it was it was for advertisement because they ride wasn't getting ridden enough, but I knew that wasn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKid1994 View Post
    Yes, that's a good point. Really, I don't think this matters but I gotta ask- are they gonna call the America scene "Up With America", because I heard they might call it "Hooray for USA!".

Also LLCMC said "as long as it takes to put up marketing displays". That's what I thought when I heard they were adding Disney characters. I knew that it was so that they could sell plush version of their Mary-Blaired-up Disney characters at the store! My dad said it was it was for advertisement because they ride wasn't getting ridden enough, but I knew that wasn't it.
    Regardless of what the America scene is called' It's like saying you just saw the rest of the world and now the greatest of them all' and tell people they live in the greatest nation on Earth. Not that I don't love my country but it is not appropriate for the message of the ride.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Regardless of what the America scene is called. It's like saying you just saw the rest of the world and now the greatest of them all and tell people who are getting so fat that they caused this refurb in the first place that they live in the greatest nation on Earth not that I don't love my country but it is not appropriate for the message of the ride.
    So you're basically saying that America doesn't deserve a scene in a ride that's all about the world? That makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    So you're basically saying that America doesn't deserve a scene in a ride that's all about the world? That makes no sense.
    If Walt wanted an America scene he would have put one there.

• It's all about Theme!

Not saying a word. So as to not beat the dead horse, I put a spoiler so none of you have to look at my thoughts right now.

Spoiler
    But, really, those who see no problem with these changes obviously have no idea about how strong the meaning of this attraction is and what Walt obviously wanted. It is a proven fact he didn't want America. So it doesn't need to be there. And I agree.

Yeah, but to not start a fight. Not saying a word.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    If Walt wanted an America scene he would have put one there.
    There's no way we know or can tell what Walt would of wanted. 1) None of us knew him. 2) He's dead.

You're the most negative person I've ever met! Don't complain about the scene until you see it. I'm sure it will be done in the exact same styling as the rest of the attraction, much like with the Disney characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    It is a proven fact he didn't want America. So it doesn't need to be there. And I agree.
    Source please? I have never heard that before in my life.

• The Dudester

I'm not 100% opposed to adding America to the ride, as long as it's done tastefully and not in a America-is-the-main-event/better kind of way, but I don't think that will be the case. I trust they the Imagineers know better than that.

To be fair, I think there is a valid argument there about keeping America out of the ride. Walt was a very patriotic person, and clearly enjoyed making American life a focal point of many things in Disneyland and in many ways made Disneyland a way to learn about various aspects of American culture and history (Lincoln, Old West theme/Frontierland, Main Street, etc.) It's not irrational to think that Walt kept America out for a reason. To have one ride completely dedicated to everything OUTSIDE of America. To show that the rest of the world's cultures are important too.

Now, that being said... I'm still looking forward to the new version of the ride, and until I'm proven otherwise I'm optimistic that the re-do will tasteful.

• Halloween 2011

There's no way we know or can tell what Walt would of wanted. 1) None of us knew him. 2) He's dead.

You're the most negative person I've ever met! Don't complain about the scene until you see it. I'm sure it will be done in the exact same styling as the rest of the attraction, much like with the Disney characters.

Source please? I have never heard that before in my life.
    Well, the source is in the omission, really. When Small World was originally designed for the NY World's Fair it didn't include an America scene. When Small World was brought to Disneyland, the attraction was e-x-p-a-n-d-e-d and new scenes added. Again, no America scene.

Walt was alive, contributing, and overseeing the park during both installations (NYWF and Disneyland), so if he wanted an America scene he would have had one designed. Same thinking goes for the addition of Disney characters: if Walt wanted them, he would have installed them.

Sadly, Disney and Tony Baxter do whatever they want, public outcry be damned (ex: Pirates, Tom Sawyer's Island). So the argument for or against is really moot, other than to register an opinion.

• Here Comes Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post

I thought I read somewhere that the America scene is almost completed and covered by a black curtain that is currently up before the Ocean stuff.
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast