Thanksgiving weekend 2008

Hey all, this is my first trip report so forgive the crudeness of it. Additionally forgive me for a lack of quality pictures as my Nikon digital SLR has been broken for a while so we had to resort to the old cannon point and shoot. Oh and my wife wanted lots of pictures of us so we can choose one for the holiday card. And since this is a TR I decided to include at least 1 blurry shot.

Now that the disclaimer is over on with the TR:

We started off our adventure on Saturday 11.29.08 and after arriving at the gate we took some photopass shots in front of the mickey face flower garden and then proceeded through the right tunnel onto main street. From there we grabbed a locker and headed for our traditional opening attraction, Space Mountain. Thankfully the line was short so we grabbed a FP and hopped in the standby line. (btw thanks to you all who informed us about the lack of enforcement on the later end of the fastpass return time as we used this to our advantage throughout the day).

After flying through space we decided it was time to venture into another world where one is unable to breath normally. It reminded us of our adventure last year to the real great barrier reef.

after suriving the volcano we decided it was time to take a crack at defeating the evil zerg.

Then it was back to mainstreet for some photo taking fun. But not before a quick trip on the Matterhorn. Of course we shared a car.

After spending time in the next frontier we headed back in time to frontier land. A trip on Big Thunder was very much in order since it would be closed on monday 12.1.08 (or 2nd day in the park).

After the wildest ride in the wilderness we decided to try our luck in the temple of the forbidden eye (after grabbing a fast pass) we waited about 15 min or so. I caused an accident by not paying attention to the "dont pull on the rope sign". Everyone turned out okay.

Thanks to this forum I decided to pay attention to how things on the ride work. I was unable to determine the way in which the 3 doors move. However I did notice the scrims once inside where the idol is. If you look hard enough you can see the various ones which are not lit.

I was fortunate enough to be sitting on the edge so I decided to pay attention to the floor at the boulder scene to verify that the actual tunnel moves back while the car remains stationary. Sure enough this is the case. On a side note 2 of the other 3 times we ventured through the temple there was something amiss as we stopped just before the right turn where you see indy. We got the whole dialog but werent under indy. We turned the corner and went straight down the drop. Really weird. In fact one of the times we turned the corner to see the ball retreating back into place rather than coming at us.

We survived the temple without looking into the eyes of Mora and decided it was time we braved the jungle. Now this is my favorite thing in the park and I could go over and over. But this trip was just average at best. Of the 6 trips 4 of the skips were women. Not a big deal just surprising. Additionally 4 of the 6 gave the exact same spiel. There was hardly any emotion or an attempt at making the jokes their own. Everything was OG which is fine but there was no personality. Oh and the man eating parahanas are taking a long sleep now so us menfolk don't have to worry much. Plus i got to see the picture I covet so much

I was also really disappointed in one skip who was out front trying to entice people to come take a trip down the river. I walked up and asked if he had the scores. I was hoping for 19-12, 43-13, 27-2. But instead got "you know disneyland likes to keep the outside world out. But I'd really like to know whats happening with the Oklahoma game." I then had to explain to him the joke. I was told "oh yeah I heard about that one once, I don't ever use it."

But I did have a great experience, at least for me in the jungle. I made a skip laugh and earned a map out of it. Now I don't know if it was what I said that made this skip laugh or if it was because I said it. The story goes like this:
    Skip: Over hear we have big Bertha in her own private shower. Judging by the wrinkles shes been in there a long time.
    Me: (my wife was sitting directly in front the the skip and I was behind. We were enjoying our trip on the sacrificial alter. It was crate. I leaned over and said to my wife) Oh thats too bad cause you know they don't have irons out here in the jungle.
    Skip: (laughs, forgets the next line, and without the mic) I heard that.

From there it was back over into toontown for a spin with roger. Funny enough these pictures ended up being a bit of foreshadowing. I experienced my first 101 at the park and impressed the CMs that I new the code. I also learned what 100 and 104 were. Thanks to a kid who stood up several cars in front of us the whole ride shut down then reset. We waited in our car about 10-15 min before being walked back through the ride. unfortunately as we were in between rooms not a whole lot of photo ops but here is what I have.

We walked back through the castle, taking a moment to venture inside the newly opened walkthrough. It was tough getting photos in there and a few others have already done so therefore no photos from me. But we did grab a photo in front of the castle

We made our way over to Splash since my wife decided she was brave enough for it this trip. And with it being still early afternoon we had all kinds of time to dry off. Wouldnt you know it, she got soaked. It was the wettest I have ever seen anyone get. She was sitting in the 3rd seat by the way. Me on the other hand stayed mostly dry.

We then decided to fastpass mansion. BTW we loved the gingerbread coffin and would have sworn we smelled gingerbread. If so its a nice touch this year that I dont recall last year. It was now time to take a trip to see davey jones. From there is was time to spend some time wandering through NOS.

We headed back onto mainstreet so I could have a corn dog, do a little shopping, and then head over to ISAW. But before that we had to stop at the tiki room and enjoy a dole whip.

We spent the rest of the day repeating rides, people watching, taking photos of ourselves, watching the fireworks, fantasmic etc. But we did take time to go visit Santa and his reindeer. We asked Santa for a house but he said he only makes them yea big (holding up his hands the size of a gingerbread house).

I wish I had a tripod and a better camera but oh well.

BTW i got to thinking about entering the park through the tunnels and the other forum post regarding which side we all take. How about the Matterhorn which side do you ride more often? We rode both sides the same amount on our trip.

Part two also known as Monday 12.1.08 will come later.
    If you liked the above posting then my name is Joel. If you didnt my name is Julie and I work on the monorail.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Thanksgiving weekend 2008

Nice trip report so far! You still got some great pics even with your little point and shoot.

One question though....

Does your wife know you have posted this picture, on a message board that people from around the world will see? Coz if I was your wife and found out you posted this... oh... you would be such dead meat...

Quote Originally Posted by JChapinCP View Post

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• We Want The Redhead

Dang! You guys look like you're having a GREAT time! It's mighty sweet when your significant other can have as much fun in the place as you do!
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Great pics! Love the BTMMRR pic... silliness while on the train is a required!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I love the pics of Roger Rabbit 101! Great TR so far- can't wait to see the rest!

PART TWO AKA MONDAY

Monday morning started off a bit rough. It cant be that bad since I was heading into DL but the seat on the tram I got was wet. But all was forgotten with the first ride through space per our usual routine.

We thought hey we just flew among the stars lets go fly past one. So we meandered our way over to Peter Pan. I noticed along the way the new paving in Tomorrowland. While in theory its cool but the mix n match paving they have there now since they didn't repave everything kinda ruined the effect for me.

Nonetheless we headed over to Fantasyland and discovered 2 shocking things. 1 was that the line to Peter Pan was amazingly short and the other was that the evil queen kept watching us. I think she got word that I made a skipper laugh. I think her peaking out of the window is overlooked way too often.

After flying in a pirate ship my wife decided we needed more pictures so we took a few on our way to the tackle the icy slopes of the Matterhorn. I had to practice my "I'm scared face" when i was within range of the mountain.

We milled around a bit more and grabbed a few more photopass photos so we had a pleathora to choose from this year and headed over to DCA to take a ride on soarin, screamin, and TSMM. My wife doesnt like TOT. We got this photo which will become our Christmas card pic this year.

I knew the lagoon had been drained but it was still a shock to see it.

Screamin had a 5 min wait so we jumped on that and then decided we wanted to see mr. patato head. That is by far the coolest AA i have seen in a while. I loved the him pulling off the ear. I was also shocked to know that he could interact with the line. He said "you, step right up and I'll tell you your wait." I wasnt paying much attention as I thought it was just a recorded barker phrase until i heard him say "Hey you in the grey, step up and I'll tell you your wait....I'm guessing about 15-20 minutes" I was impressed. Then the took out his ear. We rode twice. I got a beaver both times. Not too bad for my first crack at the ride. I'm thinking though that it spells disaster for Buzz when they redo tomorrowland.

I wanted to get a close up look at the blue sky cellar cause the model of screamin is increadible. Keep in mind that I am 8/9ths an architect and love this stuff. I was amazed. The pictures dont do it justice. I asked the CM about why cars land is not called radiator springs. I was told "well Pixar wants everyone to know that they are involved. Its the same reason why we have bugs land". I'm still not convinced. But I did find this picture fun.

We then headed over to Soarin using a fastpass and walked right down to the loading area only to wait and wait and wait. Apparently they had a 101 and had to move everyone from the theater into another one. We then had to move to the other theater and wait another 2 cycles. Grr on a shortened park schedule the 45 min we waited was a killer.

We promptly headed back over to DL while keeping an eye out for dream team members. I found one but she wasnt in prize mode apparently and though she was nice and answered many of my questions didnt reward us with anything. We moved on.

Since my wife (erica by the way) braved splash mountain on saturday I was required to take her on the tea cups. I normally dont ride this as its just about the only attraction in the world that makes me sick. but I was able to stick it out by not spinning too much. I managed to get some fun photos so I think I might have to revisit this one. Plus you all get to see my beautiful wife sticking her tounge out again.

The rest of the day was filled with randomness and ride repeats. We managed to see mickey and minie and grab photos. So enjoy the rest of these random shots. thanks for taking the time to check out this trip report and look at pics of my wife and I.

The fireworks were "interesting" on Monday night since the fog had rolled in. You really couldn't see too many except for a few right above the castle. The rest just illuminated the sky in the respective color. I was really surprised they actually went through with the show.

Cheers
    Last edited by JChapinCP; 12-04-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    If you liked the above posting then my name is Joel. If you didnt my name is Julie and I work on the monorail.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that we tried to ride ISAW at night. Our hope was to see the light show while in line. Given that the park closed at 8pm that night it was a rush to do everything at night anways. We headed over there only to be greeted by the only parade of the evening. No big deal until no one knew where the line for ISAW started not even on of the CMs (they just said "um, I think its over there pointing to a huge mass of people). There was just a big mob of people trying to stand in line and another big mob hanging around trying to watch the parade. I love and applaud Disney for their crowd control as its some of the best (if not the best) I have ever seen. But they kinda dropped the ball on monday night IMO. It wasnt bad, but it wasnt magical either. Oh well you cant win them all and we had a great time nonetheless.

I didnt notice the candle flame ontop of the tree until just now.

• Don't mess with the duck!

Fun TR. I really enjoyed it!

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Great report!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey