Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autopia Redo

• Minion

Lightbulb Autopia Redo

Autopia.....

Hello everyone!!! How about this idea for the Autopia!!! They redo the area to look like a new planet (on the ground would be different rock formations and red and grey looking dust all over) sorta like Mars or the Moon. Then the queue would look like the explorers outpost with all kinds of different equipment and stuff like that. The cars would also be redone to look like different exploring cars. Anyway, there would be these screens in the cars, not unlike Monsters Inc. in DCA, that would have someone explain a "Mission". The mission would depend on what track you get. For example: one could be that you are going and surveying the planet. Stuff like that. Anyway feel free to comment and add our ideas to this post!!!

• Addicted to MC since '08

Re: Autopia Redo

I love the idea... but I need to ask a few things:

1. How would you distract the riders from seeing the Matterhorn, Monorail, Sub Lagoon, and Fantasyland? We are on a another planet right?

2. Is there more than one track? I think that'd be difficult to make additional tracks in the same area. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. I don't think that foreign planets would have lots of trees. You'd have to remove or relocate all the trees in the area.

I do like the idea and agree big time that Autopia needs a change.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Maybe after the CARS (which sounds like an Autopia / Test Track hybrid) attraction takes over the south-western acres of DCA, someone will be able to use the valuable realty in Fantasyland/Tomorrowland to make an all-new Autopia-like experience. I've always wanted the Autopia to be more indoors / outdoors (with a show building) and multi-leveled than it is...

Even if adults are no longer enthralled by the Autopia, the kids still LOVE it...
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    I love the idea... but I need to ask a few things:

1. How would you distract the riders from seeing the Matterhorn, Monorail, Sub Lagoon, and Fantasyland? We are on a another planet right?
    For tha Matterhorn, put some thing on the opposite side of the track to distract from the mountain. Same thing for Fantasyland. As for the Monorail and the Subs, that is what the screens are for. The Lagoon could be used as a "find" for the exploring track. As for the Monorail, the screen could tell you that the Monorail is another way they are exploring the planet

2. Is there more than one track? I think that'd be difficult to make additional tracks in the same area. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes there is more than one track as there is now. Just every track could have some props that have to do with the theme(exploring, surveying etc.)

3. I don't think that foreign planets would have lots of trees. You'd have to remove or relocate all the trees in the area.
    Good point. There could be trees and plants that are not found in our typical garden.

Hope that helps

• Addicted to MC since '08

Like EvilQueen posted, maybe you could make the "large discoveries" or dramatic portions in the ride in a show building, and then make the outdoor portions areas that you find "discoveries" such as the sub lagoon, etc.

P.S: Now that you mention it, I do remember that Autopia does have two sides, but they (for the most part) follow the same route. So, does your plan involve removing all the current tracks and recreating the layout? Does it call for slightly modifying the layout? Or will the layout stay the same?

I would really like to see this happen to Autopia. It is fun, but it needs more excitement, IMO.

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    For tha Matterhorn, put some thing on the opposite side of the track to distract from the mountain. Same thing for Fantasyland. As for the Monorail and the Subs, that is what the screens are for. The Lagoon could be used as a "find" for the exploring track. As for the Monorail, the screen could tell you that the Monorail is another way they are exploring the planet
    I like the monorail idea, but the problem with the screens is the fact that the drivers may stop while driving, and the screens may create a bit too much of a diversion. I don't think Autopia should be on another planet, but one idea of yours that I truly loved was the tie-in with the subs and monorail. That (along with the Peoplemover which, of course, will be coming back with this ride) can bring back the whole "land on the move" that Tomorrowland once was.

• =)

IMO, the best route to take with Autopia at the moment would be to leave it as-is for the time being, but not because it's in an acceptable condition. The money is being used elsewhere, and people are still riding Autopia, but it's a smelly thematic abomination that's of limited entertainment value to those who actually drive.

So if Disney holds off on doing anything on Autopia for long enough, they'll have saved enough "allowance" to really do something marvelous. I like your idea, disneylandfan95, but I'm thinking an indoor experience would be nice. Basically turn Autopia into a dark ride that you drive yourself through. I like the alien planet idea; that fits in with the space port/research lab direction I'd like to see Tomorrowland wholeheartedly take. Making it a two-story experience would add a lot, too, but that'd be more expensive, and the added weight might be too much for FNSV's underground show building, which sits right beneath most of Autopia. I don't really know...it's supposed to be quite sturdy, but I would think they probably didn't build it to hold too much more weight than it originally did.

• Keep Moving Forward

I've got several issues with this idea, but I'm going to refrain from voicing them and ask a question important to the success of your idea: do you have a tunnel? If this attraction is going to be accessed from an area that is located on earth but take place on a different planet, there needs to be some sort of "tunnel" device to create a smooth transition between the two. Think of the waterfall at the beginning of Pirates and how that allows us to transition from Louisiana swamp to Caribbean cave without any jarring affect whatsoever, then apply that to your attraction somehow.

• Minion

The tunnel would be in the queue area. It would be like in BLAB where it takes you from Zurg flying away to the final confrontation between Buzz and Zurg. Anyway, I really like all of the ideas for part of it being indoors. Keep adding comments and your ideas to this thread!!!!!
    Last edited by disneylandfan95; 12-06-2008 at 09:59 PM.

• We Go On.

I don't know if I'll ad a comment on this thread, that might come across spammy. But I will add a comment: Instead of a disorienting tunnel, why not just have a preshow instead? You could utilize the indoor space inside the Autopia structure.

• Keep Moving Forward

A pre-show works. That would actually quality as a kind of tunnel in my mind.

• Banned User

Ok, here's my comment....I'm not too big on the whole mars idea. Just my thought. I do agree that they need to wait a few years before doing anything. I'd like to see electric cars, which would be better if the attraction took a indoor/outdoor setting. It'd be very complex to distract the riders from such popular landmarks as the Matterhorn. After a few rides, guests will begin to look around. Possibly have the track be magnetic (similar to the technology they used on Winnie the Pooh in TDL, and soon to be Monsters Inc.) I was thinking make the cars a bit faster (from 7-8mph to 12-15mph) newer sleeker cars that don't look like today's models you see on the street. Redesign the que, take out those horrible 30sec films inside the que, and add a LONG preshow. I have been stuck inside there, and got bored after the second run of those chevron cartoons. Add brighter lights (it's dark in there right now). As to a story, the lab setup could work. I'm just not too sure...

• We Go On.

^I'm not too keen on the alien planet idea either, but I like the idea of having the drivers in "research" cars that tie in with the subs/monorail.

My idea for Autopia is to turn it all over to Fantasyland. I would reorient the track to eliminate the queue in Tomorrowland, essentially connect it back together before it passes back under the monorail track. This would free up the space occupied by the existing queue for a new dark ride truly themed to the future. The space available is easily the size of the building containing BLAB.

I would build a new queue over in the Fantasia Gardens area with the entrance adjacent to the IASW mall. This would be themed to look more like the steel and glass train stations of the time. Which I think could be quite beautiful. It would also pull more people back into the IASW mall area which now is really just a pathway to Toontown.

The cars would be rethemed to turn of the century London vehicles (electric is fine) to give them much more romance. I would also make it so that you were driving on the "wrong" side of the road with the sterring wheels on the right. In addition, each track would have one lane going in opposite directions so that it would give more of an illusion of speed with cars coming at you from the "wrong" side.

The route would have you travel through London streets, English countryside, and parks with building at the scale of the town in BTMRR with plenty of forced perspective thrown in for good measure. Again, this could be quite beautiful and immersive.

There would be onboard music to the cars with the same type of sysem used on Space mountain which has different sountracks merge seamlessly together depending on where you are on the track. This would account for the differing speeds of the cars. Maybe the music can be from Mary Poppins, not quite sure about that though.

I think this overcomes the inherent problems with Autopia which is that Cars are not futuristic and if you try to rethem the whole area to another planet or some such thing, you vave too much visual intrusion from Earthly things.

• Walt Disney Fan

I love the idea because I think that they need to do something to make that attraction more entertaing. (It is more entertaing then Indy Speedway at WDW)

The one thing that I would like to see changed was go back to when it first opened WHEN THERE WAS NO TRACK!!!! That would make the ride so much more entertaing and worth the wait.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast