Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

How Will The Economy Affect DLR Attendance?

Yesterday (12/5) we learned that well over a half-million more people have lost their jobs.

One would think that in one way or another, this would affect attendance at the DLR.

Yet everything I read here suggests that even with ever-increasing ticket, pass, food and merchandise prices, the place is still packed a good deal of the time.

With the predictions I'm hearing that any real turnaround is at least a year away, I can't believe that attendance in 2009 won't suffer at least somewhat.

Your thoughts, please on how the state of the economy is affecting your Disneyland attendance, and/or how it might affect DLR attendance overall.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Fastest Man Alive

Re: How Will The Economy Affect DLR Attendance?

Oh, it has.

Attendance at the parks IS down. Spending IS down. The gag is, at the moment it's not that incredible of a difference from normal so unless you are there all the time, you won't notice. But the impact has happened and there have been a ton of cutbacks. To Disney's credit, they have not been using the economic slowdown as a reason to shutter attractions to save costs, in fact they are still aggressively expanding, knowing this slump won't last forever.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm guessing that when a lot of families get that renewel letter for the annual pass, they may skip it. Even if you are still working the news is a bit scary and $1000 for a family of 4 is not an easy bill to swallow for entertainment.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'm guessing that when a lot of families get that renewel letter for the annual pass, they may skip it. Even if you are still working the news is a bit scary and $1000 for a family of 4 is not an easy bill to swallow for entertainment.
    Hence why now you can apparently pay for AP in monthly payments rather than one lump sum. $1000 looks positively terrifying, but $84 a month? That's a phone bill.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Hence why now you can apparently pay for AP in monthly payments rather than one lump sum. $1000 looks positively terrifying, but $84 a month? That's a phone bill.
    Yup. And as always, good, solid companies are ahead of the game when it comes to retaining customers.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am planning a trip to Disneyland, and one to WDW next year. Quite frankly, I have told my husband that it might be a lot longer, before I can go again. For me, a trip to both parks requires a lot of expense. Airfare, hotel, park passes, food, etc; Even travelling alone, it is quite a lot. I might have to wait a whole lot longer before my next trip to either destination. Prices have gone up a lot, and it is taking me a whole lot longer to save the money. I won't go in debt for a vacation.

• Fastest Man Alive

Exactly. Disney is rolling with the punches in order to keep their coffers full. And I still think that the 'get in free on your Birthday' idea is going to be huge in 2009 with the economy still belly-up. A true brilliant promotion and is the best marketing idea since the 50th easily.

On a related note, even with increasing prices and such: now is the best in recent years to go to the park and find sales. Santa hats are on sale, 2008 merch is 40% off, Where Dreams Come True is 40% off and there are the wonderful purchase-with-purchase throws. Heck, the park even had Mr. Potato Head on sale for 40% off!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

On past vacations, I have come home with my share of souvenirs. However, on this one, I believe that I will be satisfied with my pictures, and the memories of what I have done, rather than purchasing more than my budget allows.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    From Disney's point of view that's a brilliant move. But from the consumer's point of view...it's just creating more debt. My pass comes up for renewal next July - and unless I have the cash to spare, Disneyland will have to wait, just like Barbaraann has suggested.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• I love my family!

I believe WDW will fell the pinch much more than the DLR will.

Sure, there is and will probably continue to be a drop in attendance but, a lot those local families that would have spent more on out of town vacations will just settle for a trip to DL and that will help keep levels a little more even.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

No. Everyone will keep going. It is the happiest place on earth, even in a recession thank you very much.

You may think that people will stop going due to costs, but really, MORE people will start going because they believe that others will stop going due to costs, therefore making the park have little to no loss in attendence.

I'm going next weekend.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    No. Everyone will keep going. It is the happiest place on earth, even in a recession thank you very much.

You may think that people will stop going due to costs, but really, MORE people will start going because they believe that others will stop going due to costs, therefore making the park have little to no loss in attendence.

I'm going next weekend.
    No loss in attendance? Maybe. Big loss in souvenir sales, most likely.

It can still be the happiest place on eath it's just gotta find a way to keep bringing in all streams of revenue.

• Minion

Obvisously since it is packed all the time now, the economy isn't hurting attendence too harasly. And next year they have the Birthday deal so I think attendence won't be taking a huge(or even medium sized) dip in the upcoming months and years ahead.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Speaking of the revenue streams, I would imagine that corporate America is re-thinking its sponsorships...things like naming rights for sports venues, and "presentation" of restaurants and/or attractions in major theme parks.

If the situation is as dire as some suggest, I can't see where there would be "little or no" impact, as some here have suggested.

-- Barry

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Speaking of the revenue streams, I would imagine that corporate America is re-thinking its sponsorships...things like naming rights for sports venues, and "presentation" of restaurants and/or attractions in major theme parks.

If the situation is as dire as some suggest, I can't see where there would be "little or no" impact, as some here have suggested.

-- Barry
    Those who say Disney will not be affected by the economy are either not thinking straight or need an economics class. Most likely both.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast