Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Going to Disneyland, and no attractions!

Okay, don't know if this has been covered before, but if you were going to the park and could go on zero attractions...say, you got in "free" somehow, were comped in, whatever...but attractions weren't an option. I'm talking.....movies, rides, etc. If you could stand outside and see it....live entertainment, shows, fireworks, parades, that is fair game. Would you still go? What would you do in the park?

My list runs to activities such as getting a jalapeno cheese pretzel and watching the piano player at coke corner, wandering around Main Street and NoS for obscure photo opportunities, watching the Bootstrappers perform or Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, staring at and photographing the Mansion, having some sort of sweet item and sitting at the lower level of the Hungry Bear, going to the ranch to see the goats, and Fantasmic! and fireworks would be a must see. Apart from that, a cobb salad would be nice at the trayslide at the end of Main Street, and just taking photos and the like.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Going to Disneyland, and no attractions!

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Okay, don't know if this has been covered before, but if you were going to the park and could go on zero attractions...say, you got in "free" somehow, were comped in, whatever...but attractions weren't an option. I'm talking.....movies, rides, etc. If you could stand outside and see it....live entertainment, shows, fireworks, parades, that is fair game. Would you still go? What would you do in the park?

My list runs to activities such as getting a jalapeno cheese pretzel and watching the piano player at coke corner, wandering around Main Street and NoS for obscure photo opportunities, watching the Bootstrappers perform or Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, staring at and photographing the Mansion, having some sort of sweet item and sitting at the lower level of the Hungry Bear, going to the ranch to see the goats, and Fantasmic! and fireworks would be a must see. Apart from that, a cobb salad would be nice at the trayslide at the end of Main Street, and just taking photos and the like.
    I've done it a lot in my years.

In the old days, I'd come during the summer on nights I was off, to hear a Count Basie or the like at the Plaza Gardens.

In more recent years, I don't do a lot of roller coasters right now, so unless I want to do Pirates again or the HM, I'm very happy to do what you describe.

And I usually come on my own!

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Far too curious

My friends and I do this almost all the time. We spend so much time with characters, sometimes we never go on rides.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have always said that Disneyland is not about the rides. I remember the very first day that I walked in Disneyland. The only ride that we rode was the train. We viewed the parade, investigated Town Square, especially the Firehouse. walked down Main Street, took pictures at the Hub, and walked through the Castle for the first time. Hours passed on that very first day, and it was a time that I will always remember.

• =)

I have absolutely nothing wrong with people who don't go to Disneyland for the rides, but I personally am of the mindset that they are the top priority. I'm not an annual passholder, so I'm paying for a limited amount of time in the park and rides are quite simply what I enjoy the most. That's not to say I see no value in everything else - I doubt I'd be passionate about Disneyland if not for all the gorgeous scenery and exteriors and everything! But they're just not my top priority.

If I were to do a day like that for whatever reason, though, I'm sure a lot of my time would be occupied by taking photos. Probably some people-watching, too...perhaps a nap somewhere on Big Thunder Trail...

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Absolutely! I would visit the parks for the shows and live entertainment and I sometimes wished that the group I usually hangout with would stop to watch the Dapper Dans or Laughingstock Co. (I think that's what they're called).

EDIT: On a side note, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies are now one of my favorite shows to watch.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I have absolutely nothing wrong with people who don't go to Disneyland for the rides, but I personally am of the mindset that they are the top priority. I'm not an annual passholder, so I'm paying for a limited amount of time in the park and rides are quite simply what I enjoy the most. That's not to say I see no value in everything else - I doubt I'd be passionate about Disneyland if not for all the gorgeous scenery and exteriors and everything! But they're just not my top priority.

If I were to do a day like that for whatever reason, though, I'm sure a lot of my time would be occupied by taking photos. Probably some people-watching, too...perhaps a nap somewhere on Big Thunder Trail...
    To each, their own.

And think of it...if it weren't for the "people-eating" rides (so sorry), attractions, it would be too crowded for the rest of us to appreciate anything!

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Usually, the earlier part of my days are centered around riding the rides. Then as the day winds down, I can enjoy the atmosphere, and what I consider the real heart of Disneyland.

My very first visit, I coincidentally arrived just about Parade time. I was perfectly happy to just soak up the atmosphere, because I knew that I had almost a week ahead of me to ride as many rides as I could squeeze in.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    To each, their own.
    Absolutely. Like I said, nothing inherently wrong with either approach, and I appreciate you giving Disney your money so their budgets can go higher while you simultaneously decide not to lengthen the lines any further!

• Silent Lucidity

Back in the 60's, my brother and I would each get a trip to Disneyland on a Saturday around our respective birthdays. We each could bring a friend. My Mom and my Aunt would be the Adults, and would require us to "check-in" every couple hours. They would ride the People Mover and DLRR, but most of the time walk around or people-watch. Of course, being kids and wanting to ride every single ride we could, it was hard to imagine spending the day at Disneyland and riding so few rides. Now, I can appreciate their simple enjoyment of the visual experience.

• We Want The Redhead

I do this fairly often myself. Buy a cup of coffee at the Blue Ribbon, sit on the porch in front of the old Wizard of Bras, or maybe the hub. Chat with Farley the Fiddler in Frontierland, or any other CM I see. Enjoy the parade from the porch at the Plaza Pavilluion, or hang out with Michael Pollock at Coke Corner. Maybe just stroll the park and take in the sounds and sights and smells throughout the park. Just being in the park is a true delight...
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Disneyland is the attraction.

• Keep Moving Forward

That's one of the reasons I love working at Splash Mountain. Since I can't enjoy any of the conventional activities the park has to offer (rides, shows, etc.), I am constantly forced to slow down and consequently am reminded of the beauty that is Disneyland.

I think that both the rides and everything else are important aspects of the Disneyland experience, and I always try to do a variety of activities, whatever I happen to feel like doing. Sometimes I ride a lot and sometimes a little, but I don't recall having ever gone on no rides during a visit. I could still have a good time if I had to forgo rides, as being at Disneyland, soaking in the atmosphere, and watching people enjoy themselves (or not as the case may be) never gets old, but it wouldn't be by choice.

During periods of my life when I went to Disneyland once a year or less, I used to ride all I could, but nowadays it's easier to slow down and take it all in.

• (Not a) New User

I would just walk around the park and watch all the shows and stuff. Plus, who said we couldn't look at the rides like in a zoo or something? The facades are just as excellent as the rides (in most cases).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast