Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Walt Disney Fan

Re: Flashing Girls Prompt Disneyland to Can 'Jack Sparrow' Actors

All i have to say is thats crazy!

If that's the reason then wow look at what society has become
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome" - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    I was going to say this; it didn't even make them take off the camera on the ride, much less the entire ride. Maybe because so many people buy their ride photos. If Jack Sparrow was peddling jewelry at the same time of his meet and greets, maybe he'd still be around.
    Assuming the news report were true (which I don't, of course), I suppose the difference here would be the fact that it would be very unlikely that anyone would actually see the flashing...Save for one or two CMs in the shop and those in the log. That kind of action is much easier to contain than guests out on a walkway.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Now we know how to get rid of things we don't like at the parks... flash them.

I am SO flashing Innoventions and HISTA next time I'm there. I urge you all to do the same!

Hey...characters come and go. I remember when the Dick Tracy movie characters were at the park, after the movie. POTC is sort of fading out, as new things are coming up the rear. The Jack Sparrows are sort of a thing of the past to me. Onward and upward!

• Mrs. J. Depp

They didn't get rid of Jack Sparrow because the Pirates movies are through, in fact Johnny Depp just revealed that a fourth Pirates movie is in the works. Bad move on Disney's part in removing such a crucial element. All they'd have to do is keep a more watchful eye on this character to prevent such occurances as "flashing" and the like.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Disneyland Groupies...pretty funny and kinda sad.

• Rest In Peace, Old Friend

Blog Entries

You know, I see guests dressed up like Jack Sparrow in the park all the time. I used to think, "Yeah, whatever floats your boat." Now I'm thinking they are crafty. If that is all it takes...
    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Veteran

• Don't lets be silly! ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Bad move on Disney's part in removing such a crucial element.
    You do understand that they can bring him back whenever they'd like? They did it with Prince Caspian.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Those who voiced disagreement are certainly welcome to do so. As to the fact pointed out that another pirates film is on the way and that pirates merchandise is everywhere in the park...while very true on both counts neither of those facts indicate that the pirate fad is still going strong, but more likely that Disney is willing to over saturate a market and that they don't know when enough is enough when it comes to milking things.

This of course begs the question... will the female Pixies be getting similar inappropriate behaviors talk from the male crowd at the parks?
    You'd be surprised/shocked/appalled at the things that the male crowd says to/asks the princesses..... and instead of removing the princesses, they simply remove the guest. They didn't remove Jack just because of this.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    [...]but more likely that Disney is willing to over saturate a market and that they don't know when enough is enough when it comes to milking things.
    Oh thank you for stating that! I so agree. Disney really hasn't got a clue when to just back off and let something go quietly to sleep for a while. They milk things to death and then there is no possible way to make them last.

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    You'd be surprised/shocked/appalled at the things that the male crowd says to/asks the princesses..... and instead of removing the princesses, they simply remove the guest. They didn't remove Jack just because of this.
    Oh, I've heard stories, and yeah, they are shocking and appalling. And yeah, I agree with you, Jack wasn't removed just because of this. But I like making sideline questions that are on the same topic as the thread.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Los Angeles Times writer and blogger Brady MacDonald says Disney is denying the rumors.

LA Times: Disneyland fires Jack Sparrow — but don’t believe the salacious rumors
    Disneyland has forced Captain Jack Sparrow of “Pirates of the Caribbean” fame to walk the plank, saying the irascible scalawag has “set sail for other high-seas adventures.”

Disneyland officials confirmed that the pirate was indeed fired (due to declining relevance and diminishing visitor requests), but flatly denied published reports that the dismissal had anything to do with female fans flashing their breasts at the swashbuckling actors who portray Jack Sparrow at the Anaheim theme park.

Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown called the breast-flashing rumors “absolutely false” and “simply not true.”

A KTLA-TV story attributes the salacious rumors to former Disneyland pirate Brandon Pinto, who was the subject of a titillating Los Angeles magazine tell-all.

The report on the KTLA website incorrectly stated the Jack Sparrow characters would be removed from the Pirates of the Caribbean water ride. The animatronic characters on the ride will remain, according to Disneyland officials.

The fired Jack Sparrow actors greeted visitors and posed for photos on Tom Sawyer Island and occasionally wandered around New Orleans Square near the POTC ride. Disneyland promises the bad boy buccaneer, made famous by Johnny Depp in the trilogy of movies, will eventually return — “some day.”

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Disneyland officials confirmed that the pirate was indeed fired (due to declining relevance and diminishing visitor requests),[...]
    And here in lies the rub... Disney is trying to push what the public wants - a capricious thing at best - rather than creating something that the public can then want and subtly marketing it so that it lasts rather than hammering it into everyone's face non-stop, 24/7 until we beg them to get rid of it.

The ride was unique and original and created its own fan base. The addition of Jack Sparrow was based upon the "blockbuster" status of the movies. Admittedly the movies are inspired and based upon the ride, but they are still blockbuster movies, a faddish thing at best. Rather than allowing us to "sip" the Pirate stuff slowly and at a normal pace, we got walloped full on by the tidal wave of marketing/advertising/characters/merchandise and its star burned hot and fast to a quick dimming.

Yes, he will return when the next movie comes out... and Disney will probably cram Jack Sparrow down our throats again until we can't stand him again and a great character will be shoved to the back of our memories where we pray it will be forgotten.

BAD marketing/advertising/merchandising.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

And here in lies the rub... Disney is trying to push what the public wants - a capricious thing at best - rather than creating something that the public can then want and subtly marketing it so that it lasts rather than hammering it into everyone's face non-stop, 24/7 until we beg them to get rid of it.

The ride was unique and original and created its own fan base. The addition of Jack Sparrow was based upon the "blockbuster" status of the movies. Admittedly the movies are inspired and based upon the ride, but they are still blockbuster movies, a faddish thing at best. Rather than allowing us to "sip" the Pirate stuff slowly and at a normal pace, we got walloped full on by the tidal wave of marketing/advertising/characters/merchandise and its star burned hot and fast to a quick dimming.

Yes, he will return when the next movie comes out... and Disney will probably cram Jack Sparrow down our throats again until we can't stand him again and a great character will be shoved to the back of our memories where we pray it will be forgotten.

BAD marketing/advertising/merchandising.
    Short-term Imagineering pushed by short-term marketeering.

Sounds like a complete lack of long-term planning here. Same thing they're doing with the Disney Fairies line and High School Musical. Bravo, Disney.

I don't think we'll be seeing the long-rumored Phase 2 of Pirate's Lair or anymore increased Pirates influence in the parks until Pirates 4 comes out.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Short-term Imagineering pushed by short-term marketeering.

Sounds like a complete lack of long-term planning here. Same thing they're doing with the Disney Fairies line and High School Musical. Bravo, Disney.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about when I complain about marketing seeming to be making the decisions. Smart if you're dealing with movies... BAD BAD BAD if you are dealing with a theme-park.

Wait so if I start flashing on IASW then will they get rid of it WILL THEY?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast